Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK engine swap ?
sonic

posted on 6/1/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
MK engine swap ?

Hello

I have got the chance of a cheap MK Indy, it was built around 2006 and bought by a mate of mine in 2007.

Its been sat in his garage unused since, it has a standard 2lt pinto but has R1 bike carbs on it, no mot or tax.

My question is if i can get it for the right money ( I am open to suggestions on what people think its worth) what engine would you suggest i swap it with.

I have had a R1 powered MNR and loved it, i have also had an MK Indy with a 16V Vauxhall i know i could put a bike engine in it but thinking is there a more cost effective swap ie Zetec ?

Any suggestions welcome.

coozer

posted on 6/1/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec, cheap and easy..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jossey

posted on 6/1/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec is never cheap if you want good power... With carbs , mega jolt etc.....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=177412

Although that price ain't bad.....

[Edited on 6/1/13 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/1/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
From Pinto to Zetec would be the easiest upgrade, i think. 130-140bhp from an 1800 is easily reached, but as stated, big power comes at a much higher cost. Hard to say really, as you haven't given a great deal of info on the spec of the car apart from that it is Pinto powered so price guessing is really out of the question!

The carbs are suitable for such a change, but you'd need a new inlet manifold to suit.
The exhaust may be re-useable if you can change and re-weld a new flange onto it.
New clutch/release bearing/spigot (and a sandwich/crap plate if you want to push the boat out).
Then it's down to controlling the spark - megajolt is probably the easiest, if it doen't already have something transferrable.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sdh2903

posted on 6/1/13 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
If your after cheap what about carbed blade/r1/zx9 you can pick up full engine packs for ridiculously low prices now. No worries with reverse as already registered, sort an exhaust manifold, prop adapter and your'e away!

adithorp

posted on 7/1/13 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
From Pinto to Zetec would be the easiest upgrade, i think....

...The exhaust may be re-useable if you can change and re-weld a new flange onto it...

Isn't the exhaust on the opposite side on a Zetec? If I'm right, I can't see how you could re-use the manifold. Duratec has the exhaust on the same side as a Pinto... I think :?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ooh, quite possibly - I must have been thinking CVH!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Not Anumber

posted on 7/1/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was in the same boat when i bought my 2004 Pinto engined Indy. But after rejetting it's carb it ran so well i just couldnt see any pressing need to spend hundreds of pounds changing to a Zetec in such a light car. Instead ill be adding a stage 2 head with larger inlet valves and a Kent cam to unlock a few more bhp and get to keep the exhaust on the same side.
sonic

posted on 7/1/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guy's

What do you think the car is worth?

Its a standard MK Indy out board suspension etc, it just got a standard pinto but does has bike carbs and is running ok

Team Dynamic wheels and good condition

Its been stood for about 4 years and started ocationaly, no MOT or Tax and been sorned.

What would you offer?

wylliezx9r

posted on 7/1/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Thanks for the replies guy's

What do you think the car is worth?

Its a standard MK Indy out board suspension etc, it just got a standard pinto but does has bike carbs and is running ok

Team Dynamic wheels and good condition

Its been stood for about 4 years and started ocationaly, no MOT or Tax and been sorned.

What would you offer?

A lot obviously depends on the condition and quality of the build. £3500 this time of year maybe a little less ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

sonic

posted on 8/1/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
£3500 or a little less if i can push him is around what i thought
parkiboy

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Instead of going for a Zetec and throwing a boat load of money at it when you want to make it faster, if I was to go for a CEC I would bite the bullet and spend a bit more on a s2000 motor, can get the engine, gearbox, Ecu and loom for around 2k these days and that's fast enough standard I would have thought.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.