Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Haynes Roadster book
joneh

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
New Haynes Roadster book

Morning,

I've seen rumours of a new Haynes Roadster book based on the MX5. Did it ever get released?

I knew of two other companies that were building MX5 based roadsters but I gather they've closed.

Thanks,
Jon

Myke 2463

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Check this out, http://www.talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

Be Lucky Mike.

carlknight1982

posted on 7/1/13 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah give phil @ talon a shout top guy

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Slimy38

posted on 7/1/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
If you're referring to Saturn as being one of the ones that closed, they appear to have been took over by these guys;

http://www.gillhamonline.co.uk/shop/page/12

Talon Motorsport

posted on 7/1/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the recommendations the money is in the post.
One of the problems that a few designers have faced is how to get around the mounting arms on the MX5 diff, being an ali casting some have been broken through lack of a proper mechanical mount. Some designs have stretched the Roadster design to make the MX5 diff fit but at the cost of poorly designed top wishbones, I don't think there is much wrong with the Roadster rear end so I set about removing the arms from the diff cover. At this point I came to realise that all it does is hold the oil seals in place and give the crown wheel some thing to bathe in. My answer to this was to design a fabricated steel cover that reduces the size of the MX5 diff to that closer to a Sierra unit, and also provides four new mounting holes similar to the standard Sierra Roadster. So you can still use the standard book spec chassis and all you need to move is two tubes (sb4) and two plates cp10 either side of the diff nose and flair the back of the tunnel to clear the drive flange. Obviously you will need some modified wishbones to pick up on the MX5 running gear but they are not difficult to make.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 7/1/13 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can you tell me more about this new cover? In particular how much they are?
jossey

posted on 7/1/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea. Simple solution but not so simple to design I would guess...

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 7/1/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well done on making the cover Phil. I can remember the original posts and the nay sayers. Just goes to show!

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 7/1/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
This idea came about around the 21-28/4/12 and was put on the shelf after no interest on the Haynes forum. In truth this was not designed it just came together using cardboard templates on the bench.
Well this took me about 20 mins to work out how to do it and about 4 hours to fabricate it, this is the prototype which was completely made from scratch so the assembly of CNC laser cut parts welded with a jig would put it around £100-120 in bare steel. Look at it this way you no longer need to buy/make fabricated rear uprights for the Sierra running gear so you would just replace two parts with one.

Slimy38

posted on 7/1/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport
This idea came about around the 21-28/4/12 and was put on the shelf after no interest on the Haynes forum. In truth this was not designed it just came together using cardboard templates on the bench.
Well this took me about 20 mins to work out how to do it and about 4 hours to fabricate it, this is the prototype which was completely made from scratch so the assembly of CNC laser cut parts welded with a jig would put it around £100-120 in bare steel. Look at it this way you no longer need to buy/make fabricated rear uprights for the Sierra running gear so you would just replace two parts with one.

Consider me interested!

With regards to the rear uprights, does this mean I can still use the MX5 uprights from the donor?

Dualist

posted on 7/1/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Balls, was hoping this was news about the single seater

Rotary build coming soon...

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I recently discovered that pigs can p i s s sideways when being transported

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.