Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would these pass an MOT?
parkiboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would these pass an MOT?

I am considering getting rid of all my stalks and steering wheel surround, I am planning on putting my lights on switches on the dash but don't want to do that for my indicators but i have found these

They are steering wheel mounted momentary switches, I just wondered if them being monetary would be an issue for MOT?

Thanks

[Edited on 9/1/13 by parkiboy]

loggyboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I dont believe there is any requirement for indicators to have a latching mechanism for MoT or IVA.

Doubt they would pass IVA for radius/impact protection, but as your asking about MoT I assume its a road registered car already.

Mistral Motorsport

parkiboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I jumped through their hoops earlier this year lol. That's good to know might give them a try then.

Thanks

plentywahalla

posted on 9/1/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking about how to do my indicators. I could get a pair of momentary switches from Maplins and mount them behind the steering wheel spokes to make them compliant and run them through latching relays.

Thanks for the idea!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 9/1/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
That's exactly what I'm using in my build....

Think they should pass IVA as they fall under the steering wheel exemption zone, no?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

britishtrident

posted on 9/1/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
To play devil's advocate it strikes me they would be very awkward to actually use........................

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 9/1/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't the Vectra C have momentary switches for their indicators? I remember when they first came out the people reviewing them commented that Vauxhall had messed with something that had worked for decades, and I still see Vectra's with their indicators going one direction, then when they get cancelled they momentarily flash the other direction.

For example;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59062

froggy

posted on 9/1/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The wording is that they should operate automatically so some might pass it some wont . It's how you interpret the test manual .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

parkiboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
To play devil's advocate it strikes me they would be very awkward to actually use........................

Ferrari use gear mounted buttons for indicators on the steering wheel on I think the 458, and yes reviews have shown they are a nightmare to use but I tend to avoid towns in my car and stick to the b-roads when going out for a drive so in theory I don't think I would be using them all that regular so I will put up with it, let's be honest we don't drive these cars for comfort and ease!

froggy

posted on 9/1/13 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked and as already said there isn't anything about latching in the guide so looks like I need to read the manual a bit more regularly I'm sure it used to be .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

loggyboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Didn't the Vectra C have momentary switches for their indicators? I remember when they first came out the people reviewing them commented that Vauxhall had messed with something that had worked for decades, and I still see Vectra's with their indicators going one direction, then when they get cancelled they momentarily flash the other direction.
For example;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59062

The vectras had a 2 stage switch, if you pushed it up slightly it did a 3 flash, up more it stayed on, however the confusion came in that the switch was always at rest in the centre rather than staying up or down.

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec

Think they should pass IVA as they fall under the steering wheel exemption zone, no?

The exempt zone is the dash behind the steering wheel, not just behind the rim of the steering wheel.

Mistral Motorsport

NigeEss

posted on 9/1/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember a Citroen from the early 90s had indicator switches on either side of the instrument
panel. Possibly the BX ??

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

cps13

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My understanding is the exemption zone is BEHIND the steering wheel only. The centre of the steering wheel should be recessed if metal. I don't think the edges around the buttons would count as being recessed as they aren't part of the main body in front on the hub.

Just my interpretation...

parkiboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cps13
quote:

My understanding is the exemption zone is BEHIND the steering wheel only. The centre of the steering wheel should be recessed if metal. I don't think the edges around the buttons would count as being recessed as they aren't part of the main body in front on the hub.

How to guys running paddle shifts cope with the IVA then? Or are they far enough away from the wheel to be exempt?

britishtrident

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
I seem to remember a Citroen from the early 90s had indicator switches on either side of the instrument
panel. Possibly the BX ??

I don't know about the BC but the CX had it and it worked OK the dash on the CX was constructed of units that locked to together like lego bricks, changing a switch was a bit like fitting a new ink cartridge to an HP printer.

In the 1950's a lot of cars had the flasher/trafficator switch in the centre of the steering wheel it was a bit awkward. Other 1950's cars mounted the switch either in the middle of the dash which was also awkward or on the dash to the right of the steering wheel which was better.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by parkiboy
quote:
Originally posted by cps13
quote:

How to guys running paddle shifts cope with the IVA then? Or are they far enough away from the wheel to be exempt?

Paddle shifts dont form part of the wheel, so they instantly fall under the exempt area.
THe steering wheel itself is assessed in its own right under section 14 'protective steering' which states:

Steering wheel construction
It is vital that the wheel is constructed so as to minimise the risk of facial injuries or concussion. The rim of the wheel should be padded or at least made from a material which when deformed does not splinter or fragment. The centre boss should be padded or recessed below the level of the rim. Wheels with a very deep dish are stiffer than flatter wheels and, as such will absorb less energy.
The centre boss will often be of a collapsible type comprising a convoluted crushable section or a series of metal fingers with a deliberate fold introduced to initiate a collapse.
Bolts used to secure the wheel to its boss (if exposed) should ideally be flush with the wheel surface but otherwise are required to meet the radius requirements if contactable.
Bare metal spokes are allowed as long as they conform to the edge radius requirements. Components likely to catch in the driver’s clothing or jewellery are not permitted.
Note: It is possible to fit an 'aftermarket' steering wheel which has been approved for use on any design of column. These will be referred to as “Separate Technical Units”. If the presenter can provide satisfactory documentary evidence that this is the case, a “Separate Technical Unit” may be acceptable.

Im by no way saying that they wouldnt pass, as its very much down to interpretation, but i strongly beleive a tester would view them as requireing a 2.5mm radius, which they clearly havent.

Mistral Motorsport

scimjim

posted on 11/1/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Would this help with the original question?

http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=36&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&a mp;Itemid=77&vmcchk=1&Itemid=77

I read about them in this thread: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155057

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.