Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: blockbusters
AndyW

posted on 16/1/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
blockbusters

Blockbusters gone bust. Will the high street exist soon???

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/bleak-week-as-blockbuster-collapses-2

Where will this stop???

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/1/13 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Its all really Sad but we are all to blame as internet shopping is king and now with film streaming via broadband we wont be buying any dvds within next couple of years either..
monck

posted on 16/1/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I did wonder the same question....

There dropping like flies but i guess no'1 is going to go in a store unless they need it on that day if they can get it for sometimes up to half the cost online ..

I still can never see how Halfords are still going they must be struggling as they just cant compete with online prices ...

morcus

posted on 16/1/13 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Blockbuster used to make most of it's money from rentals and snacks, it was inevitable that it would go once streaming became popular, and sad as it might be, there's not much they could have done.

Same sort of story of Jessops, it just became irrelevent as the business is completely gone.

I think Halfords is fairly safe because they sell alot of things many people don't trust to buy online (Like Batteries and fluids) and they fit things. It's also usually the best place to go when you need a tool your only going to use once, and could do with having it that day.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, the Internet has killed so many businesses large and small. But at the end of the day, if there is a 'better' option, man (or woman ) is going to take it.

Let's hope the economy gets a little more stable soon, everyone and everything seems to be suffering.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

perksy

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Read somewhere before Christmas that 11 'household' names were possibly going to go t*ts up this year unless they had a really good Christmas sales period.
So it looks like it might have started

We use the internet for just about everything now in our house including the weekly shop, so i guess its folks like us that aren't helping the situation.
Problem is with car parking & petrol prices and also how much you value your time it makes it a lot easier to do it all on-line...

Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
.....Problem is with car parking & petrol prices and also how much you value your time it makes it a lot easier to do it all on-line...

Ain't that the truth

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

rf900rush

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's just the same when the giant supermarkets did the same to the small retail food shops.

Thing change with the times.
The skill is to keep up, and adapt.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer to buy in a shop, I must be old fashioned. Can't say I ever seen stuff for half price online, I have looked to see if it's worth doing but prices for tv's and stuff have always been similiar.

Cheers
David

morcus

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer shopping in store too, you get it there and then without all the fuss you get with internet shopping. It's not all internet killing stores off though, Jessops was mostly because technology has made the whole idea of a Camera shop cahin obselete as digital cameras killed the main business of developing photos and selling film, and phone cameras have completely destroyed the market for low end cameras, all that leaves is really expensive stuff.

People do seem to enjoy shopping so I'd guess that when everything picks up we'll get new stores to fill the void, but as I said on the HMV thread, these big chains replaced the local stores because they could beat them on price, I can see a resurgence in the little, local shop as if your going to be paying more than online anyway, they're trading on the total experience and alot of people really like that kind of thing. Theoretically the colapse of all these stores should reduce costs for businesses as there will be alot of empty shop space.

monck

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry David , when i was talking about things being up2 half price i was referring to smaller items ..

I just prefer buying things online i find it alot less hassle and saves driving about if you cant find what you want ...

Canada EH!

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bailed out of Canada 2 years ago, most shows are available in HD off satelite tv provider forth same money
splitrivet

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Halfrauds have recently set on one of the guys from pets at home to try and turn it around. As far as the webs concerned I've always found my local car bits shop cheaper and if its wrong you can sling it back at him.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

FuryRebuild

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I rremember the time they took the opportunity to hit me for £20 on return fees on a technicality (I had 3 on a 3 for £10 deal, was a little late and they hit me for the max single penalty) and wouldn't negotiate. I walked out and joined love-film. I didn't look back.

they had it coming - they should have seen streaming coming and made deals to license the content and put the right infrastructure in place, rather than cling on to their model. it's even worse because they already had the relationships to sort out the licensing, but they didn't exploit.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Ninehigh

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
The big question is what's Bob Holness going to do now?

morcus

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing he's been doing for a while now, he's Dead.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Blockbuster used to make most of it's money from rentals and snacks, it was inevitable that it would go once streaming became popular, and sad as it might be, there's not much they could have done.

<rant>

In truth, there is something they could have done - several years ago when the bottom was falling out of the DVD rental market, they could have invested in R & D and produced a set top box (like the Apple TV) which would allow the customer to download any movie. Differentiate their offering by an all you can eat monthly subscription - I'm not talking about the rubbish Netflix pedal, I'm talking about all the latest releases you have to pay for on Sky Box Office. A strategic move to electronic downloads would probably have saved them, or at least kept the 4000 people in jobs for a little while longer.

It's only happening this time of year because the rents on their retail stores are due for the year... they'll be more casualties before the end of the month you see....

In addition - where do you think the Cinema sits in this world of electronic downloads and the internet? We're also in a double dip recession and they want to charge a family of 4 £30 to watch a film and £10 for a bowl of pop corn. Mr Odeon needs to take a long hard look at their business model before they become another statistic !

</rant>

FuryRebuild

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for backalarr
I drove to the vue cinema indexes rather to to the shitty chav fest that is the Harrogate odeon. It was a shock to see how much nicer the vue cinema was.

quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

<rant>

In truth, there is something they could have done - several years ago when the bottom was falling out of the DVD rental market, they could have invested in R & D and produced a set top box (like the Apple TV) which would allow the customer to download any movie. Differentiate their offering by an all you can eat monthly subscription - I'm not talking about the rubbish Netflix pedal, I'm talking about all the latest releases you have to pay for on Sky Box Office. A strategic move to electronic downloads would probably have saved them, or at least kept the 4000 people in jobs for a little while longer.

It's only happening this time of year because the rents on their retail stores are due for the year... they'll be more casualties before the end of the month you see....

In addition - where do you think the Cinema sits in this world of electronic downloads and the internet? We're also in a double dip recession and they want to charge a family of 4 £30 to watch a film and £10 for a bowl of pop corn. Mr Odeon needs to take a long hard look at their business model before they become another statistic !

</rant>

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

clanger

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
hopefully some of the people laid off can get a job driving for the increasing amount of courier companies. they can the get them to work shifts and deliver your internet shopping when you're not in work
Ninehigh

posted on 16/1/13 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair cinemas have to charge £10 for popcorn, as most of the ticket price goes to Hollywood

scootz

posted on 17/1/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting that there are a few 'they should have invested in the future' type posts.

Yes, that may have kept the brand alive, but would still have resulted in store closures and job losses.

It's Evolution Baby!

morcus

posted on 17/1/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
With you on that Scootz, the business as a chain of stores that rented out films and games was doomed. To stay alive and keep all the stores they would have had to pretty much completely change what they did so it's not really fair.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.