Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What MIG welder to buy?
Lightning

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
What MIG welder to buy?

Ok , I'm doing a night course on welding. I want to use it mainly for car panels. Looking for best value for money rather than cheap. Oodles out there not sure which one to go for. Recomendations please guys.

Steve

FuryRebuild

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
go hunting through apex auctions - there's frequently professional gear moving through there at good money,

similarly, have a chat with simon at weldequip - he's a great supplier, no pressure and carries excellent stock.

also, think about tig - i find it way easier and neater than mig.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

minitici

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild

also, think about tig - i find it way easier and neater than mig.

Not if you have shaky hands and poor eyesight

Andy B

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a Lincoln Mig since 1995 - its never missed a beat and lays really nice welds- still use it nearly every day at the unit, not the cheapest but built to last and god quality machine.
Regards
Andy

tonym

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for Lincoln, 10 years and just a new torch.They use Lincoln on Scrap Heap Challenge.
You will find it so much easier to weld with a decent welder rather than one of the DIY Clarke or SIP welders,
Give me a second hand industrial quality welder over a new DIY one any day.

clanger

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
i got decent quality but not top of the range, murex tradesmig, had mine, a 160a, for about 5years, second hand its probably about 15yrs old and built like a brick out house. single phase as well, great tool, just sits there and fires up when i need it no problemo
all the decent sets, kemppi, lincoln, migatronic, miller etc are the dogs, bit more pricey, but hold they money very well.

Wheels244

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tonym
+1 for Lincoln, 10 years and just a new torch.They use Lincoln on Scrap Heap Challenge.
You will find it so much easier to weld with a decent welder rather than one of the DIY Clarke or SIP welders,
Give me a second hand industrial quality welder over a new DIY one any day.

+1

snakebelly

posted on 17/1/13 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
Bought both my Tig and Mig from R-Tech welding, good quality, sensible price and the customer service was second to none when i had a small problem with the Tig. They paid to collect it, fixed it and paid for the shipping back.
dhutch

posted on 17/1/13 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Never really welded body pannels (with it or otherwise) but im very happy with my Esab CaddyMig which did a good job on welding up my sump which is about body thickness and as its inveter based has the bonus of being very easy to lug about if I want to do some welding for someone else or outside the garage.

Daniel

Mikef

posted on 17/1/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would certainly use R Tech again, have one of their TIG machines, very good quality and very helpful company. Do steer clear of the cheap Chinese kit, would rather buy older second hand quality if you dont want to go for a new one. If you only want to do panels go for a MIG but if you want something a bit more all round a TIG is the answer, most can be used as a stick welder as well, and if you get a good quality one you can still do body panels with a bit of practice. Have a chat with R Tech , I am sure they will point you in the right direction.

MikeF

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.