Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polo radiator mounting
jon200

posted on 19/1/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Polo radiator mounting

Hi peeps, I am going to be mounting mine soon an I am thinking of tapping the 8 plastic bosses out 4 on the front and 4 on the rear to make a frame. Is this something that can be done and be strong enough? The supports will run vertical up the front, across the top, down the rear to mount to the chassis and then join again at the Bottom to form a rectangle.
You can just about make the points out on this picture

The reason I am doing it like this is that I want to mount an intercooler on the front bars. The IC weight will be taken by the metal and not the plastic of the core.
Would this be ok? Would probably be 2-3mm steel 20mm wide

Jon

avagolen

posted on 19/1/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have mounted mine the same, but 90 degrees rotated from your picture.

Mind you, the car is still in the garage being built.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

jon200

posted on 19/1/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
What size did you tap the plastic to?
avagolen

posted on 19/1/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was 5mm, I did not predrill, I just worked with the holes in the plastic.

I think they are designed for a very course thread self tapper.

I Also mounted my cooling fan using the same technique.

Rad_Mount
Rad_Mount

Rad_Fan
Rad_Fan

HTH

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

deeceee09

posted on 19/1/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO the rad definitely needs turning through 90 degrees. I have used large self tappers before without problems, just make sure they are not too long!

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

ChrisL

posted on 19/1/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
after I finish the engine mounts this is my next job! And I agree the the rad needs to be mounted to have a top and a bottom hose
jon200

posted on 19/1/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
The polo radiator is twin pass though. End coping with the hose fittings on is blocked in the middle. Otherwise the coolant would just take the easiest route and not flow through the core.
dhutch

posted on 19/1/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I just screwed the relevant size machine screw into the preformed holes.
jon200

posted on 19/1/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
The engineer in me tells me to tap it if the hole is a sensible size. Is the rad twin pass?
GeoffT

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've just fitted a Polo rad to my car, ended up fitting it in the normal orientation which made the bottom hose connection really awkward.

I'm wishing now that I'd fitted it vertically as you're planning, it puts both the hose connections and the temp switch in really convenient positions and gets round the tight available width in the Mk nosecone. Means you'd be pushing water against the 'thermal flow' in one half of the rad, but I imagine the water pump would easily overcome that.

Only other real issue it that you'd need to remove the rad to drain it, but it's not often you need to do that - thinking about it you can remove the hoses without losing all the coolant so maybe it has advantages....

I tapped the mounting lugs out to M6, was just a bit worried that it might split the plastic otherwise....

jon200

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
It is quite tight vertical but like you said makes hose fitting easier and should allow me to run a duct forward from the nose to feed an oil cooler on the side of the bay. Hopefully the pump will push the water! I saw a car in the states with a similar rad setup to mine so hopefully it will be ok. Draining the rad will be ok, would probably have all bodywork off anyway to donut so will just in bolt it.

Can you not change your setup or is it already plumed in.

GeoffT

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon any thermal flow will be tiny compared with the flow created by the water pump - I don't think you'll have any problems.

Mine's all finished so no real point in changing things now. When it's stops snowing I'll get a chance to try it on the road....

Wheels244

posted on 20/1/13 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
I drilled and tapped mine for 5mm stainless bolts.
johnemms

posted on 20/1/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Radiator pipes and fan fitted
Radiator pipes and fan fitted

Nosecone & lights
Nosecone & lights

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

big_wasa

posted on 20/1/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote

I did mine m6 and it's fine if you don't over tighten them. You could also bond a helli_coil in.

jon200

posted on 20/1/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
How come I am the only one fitting mine with the pipes at the top? I will tap them out and use some thread lock to secure the bolts after nipping them up.
ChrisL

posted on 20/1/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I stand corrected, actually it'd make my installation harder so I'm sticking to the traditional orientation. Once I get started I'll post some pic's
jon200

posted on 20/1/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends where the water pipe from the engine are a little too.
GeoffT

posted on 21/1/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, but you may have a problem with air locking in the left (n/s) side of the radiator when filling the system. The other side has the vent to send air back to the header but on the left side the trapped air has nowhere to go.

Probably simply cured by loosening the top hose (or maybe the switch if it's on that side) when filling to bleed this out. Hopefully it won't be a big issue, but maybe worth bearing in mind...

jon200

posted on 21/1/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
The top left Is where the water good in and there is a bleed screw as standard on the outlet from the block, provided the rad is a little lower it will be fine. Good shout though, I hadn't thought about that. So the rad is deffo blocked to make it twin pass?
GeoffT

posted on 21/1/13 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

So the rad is deffo blocked to make it twin pass?

....always presumed it was, otherwise the coolant would go in one side and straight out the other without ever passing through the core...

Must admit I haven't physically checked this though - mine's plumbed up and filled now, can you see the divider through the switch hole?

RK

posted on 21/1/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I am not the one to ask, but any slight deviation from what the vast majority do, will cause problems down the road. This I know.

jon200

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
quote:

So the rad is deffo blocked to make it twin pass?

....always presumed it was, otherwise the coolant would go in one side and straight out the other without ever passing through the core...

Must admit I haven't physically checked this though - mine's plumbed up and filled now, can you see the divider through the switch hole?

I cant see, I will find something small to fit in the hole

Rick, I like being different. Its boring being in the Normal crowd sometimes.

RK

posted on 21/1/13 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
This group is not exactly what I would call average. A perfectly normal person doesn't bother with this; he just buys the latest Toyota and is done with it. Hmmmm..... people actually do this?
philfingers

posted on 23/1/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
here's how I mounted mine, which is actually a Golf Mk3 1400 rad I believe, and 520mm across

I used coarse self tapping screws [with a hex head] on the one side, the intention was to make is go around both sides But I think it will be fine as it is

The true home of cars born under the Sylva name - http://jpsc.org.uk/forum

STM Phoenix R1
Sold-Sylva Striker 1300xf, 40s etc
Sold-Sylva Phoenix, 1300xf, BVH, 234cam, 2xDCOE 40s, live axle - 'old school', rally car and a few bikes

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.