Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smallish master cylinder reservoirs - any drawbacks
clanger

posted on 21/1/13 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Smallish master cylinder reservoirs - any drawbacks

hi all,

I'm looking to fit some smallish diameter master cylinder reservoirs on my brake/clutch setup. Due to limited space they really need to be less than 50mm dia. Want them to fit directly into the m/cylinders, but can knock up an adaptor if required
Motorbike ones are near as I can get but have limited volume due (30-45cc) to being quite short.

Are there any drawbacks from using a low volume set up? Was thinking of the fluid overheating perhaps during an enthusiastic trackday perhaps??
Won't be fitting a level indicator either so no need to be able to fit one in. Research indicates this is not an MOT requirement??? Correct me if i'm wrong.........

AP do some just a shade under 50mm dia, in various heights but they are rediculous £££'s

Any ideas as to small reservoirs?

cheers

RIE

posted on 21/1/13 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert so don't quote me on this, but I don't think the fluid in the reservoir is going to get particularly hot from use. It's there to take up the slack as your pads wear, so you'll either need to change your pads sooner, or top up the reservoir through their life.
loggyboy

posted on 21/1/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Brake fluid doesnt flow so no issues with heat.
Try integral units
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4051

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/1/13 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
only draw back I can think off is it can be a pain to bleed the brakes if the reservoir is small but if you use an automatic system like easybleed then you can get round this, that's how I get round my landy's tiny clutch one.

Although not required for MOT's an indicator is a good idea anyway as especially on a small reservoir it gives you more warning to pull over before you loose all the fluid if you spring a leak and that does happen.

If your after cheap master cylinders then you could use series landy ones which are always stupid cheap prices

linky

[Edited on 21/1/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bare

posted on 21/1/13 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Many 'Moderne' cars even dating back to well before the turn of the last Century used a Remote reservoir.
Find some :-)

clanger

posted on 22/1/13 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
cheers all,
integral m/cylinders from RD is a last resort. I'll look into the Landrover ones......
in the meantime I've found this type, which should be adaptable:

britishtrident

posted on 22/1/13 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Small reservoir on the clutch is no problem. Any clutch master cylinder from just about a pre 1970 British car should fit the bill ie Cortina Mk 1 or Mk2 , Hillman Hunter, Morris Marina (NB UK built cars of this era use UNF brake pipe threads)

Disk brake system system have generously sized reservoir for two reasons (1) To allow a big enough airspace for fluid expansion. (2) To allow enough reserve fluid to take up pad wear.

For the brakes the best solution by far is to use a remote reservoir.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 22/1/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
integral m/cylinders from RD is a last resort.

Why as a last resort?

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 22/1/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Do an eBay search on "Girling Mastercylinder"

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.