Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damaged Caterham chassis, now on ebay, £15 starting no reserve + official Caterham minilite wheels
gmoto

posted on 10/2/13 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Damaged Caterham chassis, now on ebay, £15 starting no reserve + official Caterham minilite wheels

The Caterham Chassis I had up on here a while ago is now on ebay as while there was a lot of interest, no one was willing to start the ball rolling with an offer and I'm really not sure of the value.
So it's up at £15 no reserve and I'll let "the market" decide - just have to risk the ebay-messers!

Unfortunately been VERY busy over the last couple of months.

Listing here:
Caterham 7 chassis, damaged - project, lotus seven race car official No Reserve! | eBay

Also see an official minilite in my Caterham 7 chassis, damaged - project, lotus seven race car official No Reserve! | eBay.

Ebay listing below:
I bought this car with the intention of doing it up, but as with the previous owner, my circumstances changed and I haven't had the chance to do anything.

IMPORTANT: this auction is for the chassis and panels pictured ONLY. The dash, brake box, steering wheel and anything but the chassis and panels should be removed before the end of the auction.
They, along with the rest of the car parts I have for this car will be available for sale separately. If anything is still left on it when the winner collects, consider it a bonus!

The chassis, I was told, is listed as a Category B. It did come with a numberplate, but I've yet to dig it out, as everything got messed about when I moved.
There are a couple of options you have - despite common perception, my research suggested it may still be possible to put it back on the road with the same details.
The other alternative for road use (of course it doesn't matter anyway for track use), is to rebuild it and go through the standard new kit car process, as a whole new build.

More pictures on ebay.

I would be happy to DISCUSS delivery and transport.
You must contact me first if you wish my assistance in this.

Any questions; do ask!

I do not have a 'buy it now' price in mind - however this chassis is advertised elsewhere purely inviting offers.
If you message me requesting a buy it now price, I'm afraid you'll just received the response above, that I don't have one in mind (which I really don't!)

[Edited on 10/2/13 by gmoto]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

chillis

posted on 11/2/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Though Cat A ad B chassis/monocoque had to be crushed? (Cat A must be crushed in entirity, Cat B I believe you can remove useable parts)
If you rebuilt it and tried to put it back on the road with that chassis no then it could still be siezed and crushed I would have though.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/2/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Again, I'm not into saying things about vendors (except to laugh sometimes at their expectations on 'value'. I personally would look at this chassis as a starting point for a locost, nothing more, except alternatively to simply weigh it in.

60-70Kg of mild steel, an ABSOLUT BARGIN! at £15 - but I'll put it up if it doesunt sell, no timewaisters or dreemers

gmoto

posted on 11/2/13 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have some back up for that?

Because from what I can tell there is no legal provision to STOP a Cat B going back on the road.

Someone asked on the ebay ad and I again did some googling; this is what I've now added to the ebay advert:

>>
From a quick google, again:
Insurance companies certainly don't like Cat B cars to go back on the road, but there is no law against.
You need to complete a VIC check to get the log book back, it seems.

If you read this thread fully, it covers the details:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=928809

Also, this page: http://www.gtsalvage.com/vic.html explains: What vehicles will be affected?
Any car that is notified to DVLA on or after 7th April 2003 as having been written off (category A, B or C), regardless of the date of accident, will require a VIC before a replacement registration document can be issued. This notification will set a ‘VIC marker’ on the vehicle record on the DVLA database. Vehicles cannot be volunteered for a VIC; VOSA will only accept applications for vehicles that have a VIC marker. under it's previous ID.

<<

Note that the wording is that an insurance company 'should' crush the vehicle.
This is not a legal requirement, but a code of practice from what I can tell.

A friend had his bike written off by a Transit. The assessor came around and asked if he wanted it back on the road again, when he said he didn't, he said "ok, I'll Cat B it then". Friend still bought the bike back out of the payout, then sold it on ebay for 3x as much, advertised as Cat B. Think it went to someone doing a good trade in track bikes (later they turned up at my house when a friend had sold an engine with a mashed clutch I think it was).
In another case, a friend bought a Cat A bike that was in very good nick. It was being sold as a road bike with MOT I believe and V5 - it was only on my prompting that he got an HPI check. Ended up getting it for half the initially agreed price, because we actually believed at the time as above, that it couldn't be ridden on the road. And yes, the bike was legitimate from everything we could tell - as was the V5. (The issue being that the Cat A would be registered against that V5.)
We presumed the bike has been involved in a death.

If anyone's got a link to some actual laws, I'll happily amend the ebay advert and the advert here; but what I've found this time around coincides with when I spent a fair bit of time looking before I bought it.

AdrianH

posted on 11/2/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Also on Honest John

It is not illegal to repair and return 'written off for salvage' vehicles back to the road, however all classifications excluding Category D must pass a Vehicle
Identity Check (VIC) with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).
Insurers notify the DVLA of all cars 'written off' within salvage categories A, B, C and D. This notification will set a 'VIC marker' against the DVLA vehicle record for
Category A, B and C write-off. While a VIC marker remains set, DVLA won't issue a registration certificate V5C, or vehicle license reminder V11. VOSA carries out the
VIC which is designed to confirm the car's identity, not its road worthiness. This helps to ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road in a bid to reduce the
problem of ringing - when stolen cars are given the identity of a written-off vehicle. The VIC marker will only be removed when the car passes a VIC test by
VOSA.

So seems to be correct.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

scootz

posted on 11/2/13 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
It all comes down to who bought the salvage from the insurance company that categorised the damage in the first place.

If it went to an ABI approved recycler then their code of practice demands that the shell / chassis is crushed.

If the owner bought it back from the insurer, then the world is your oyster... crack on and put it back on the road if you want (although you will struggle to get it insured).

It's Evolution Baby!

steve m

posted on 11/2/13 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Its not as cut and dry as some of you make out,

My last 3 cars for myself, and a couple of others bought and sold, have all been Cat c writeoffs, and all bar one, did not need a VIC check,

The only one that did, was taken to southampton, test station, were the guy drove on to the rollers, got out, opened the bonnet, closed the bonnet and drove off the rollers, and after an hours wait, gave me all the paperwork we needed

Steve

gmoto

posted on 11/2/13 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the further confirmation Adrian!
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
It all comes down to who bought the salvage from the insurance company that categorised the damage in the first place.

If it went to an ABI approved recycler then their code of practice demands that the shell / chassis is crushed.

If the owner bought it back from the insurer, then the world is your oyster... crack on and put it back on the road if you want (although you will struggle to get it insured).

I don't remember the specific history. I'm pretty sure it was an owner buy-back. The person I got it from had a friend who had some business units - it was one of his customers that crashed it and was keeping it there I think. However, am a bit fuzzy on the details and the emails must have been on the computer which has since died.

However, I don't really see that it changes anything either way - if an approved recycler did not follow their industry code of practice and sold it; they can get in to trouble, sure.
But as there's no law in relation to this 'code of practice', I can't find anything to suggest it should change the process.

Steve - from my googling it would seem that it's purely a case of the insurer putting that VIC-check flag against the V5. If they don't, there's no need to. Other people have had the same experience as you and bought written off cars that didn't have it, so they can get the V5 regardless.

[Edited on 12/2/13 by gmoto]

r1_pete

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
HPI's take:

The ABI Total Loss Categories (‘Write-Off’)

Category A: Scrap only – The vehicle has not been repaired following extreme damage. It was deemed too damaged to be repairable with little or no salvageable parts.

Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle has not been repaired following significant damage. It was deemed too damaged to be repairable however did have salvageable parts.

Category C: This vehicle was repairable, but the repair costs exceeded the vehicle value. The insurer chose not to repair for economic reasons.

Category D: This vehicle was repairable, but the repair costs were significant compared to the vehicle value. The insurer chose not to repair for economic reasons.
It is not illegal to repair and return written-off for salvage vehicles back to the road as long as they have passed a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Insurers notify the DVLA of all cars ‘written- off’ within salvage categories A, B or C.

Les Elliott, Chairman of MIAFTR and a representative of the ABI Salvage Code of Practice adds: “The ABI Salvage Code specifically states that where an Insurer takes control of total loss salvage, such as a Category B, it is broken for spares and the body shell crushed. However, where a person retains the salvage it can be returned to the road, but is subject to a VIC if the V5 is surrendered to DVLA.”

Until the VIC marker is removed, the DVLA won’t issue a registration certificate V5C. However, the VIC test alone is not a safety test and anyone looking to buy a car that has passed a VIC should seek to have it independently inspected by Autolign.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gmoto

posted on 19/2/13 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
I don't suppose anyone can tell me any information about the age, model etc from the Chassis plate?

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010020071E13603235452395895

I did have a number plate around, but it's got misplaced in the move and had a few people asking.

Did save a copy of the ebay auction when I got it... to my desktop I reckon, on a computer that's now dead .
Everything to dropbox, these days!

scootz

posted on 19/2/13 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Yup...

It's a 1998, right hand drive, de-dion, long cockpit, limited volume type-approved fully built clubmans chassis. Originally fitted with a Vauxhall 8v 1.6 engine.

The numbers you've blanked out are the package type, gearbox type, etc.

The last three numbers are the unique chassis number.

It's Evolution Baby!

Peteff

posted on 19/2/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Its not as cut and dry as some of you make out,

My last 3 cars for myself, and a couple of others bought and sold, have all been Cat c writeoffs, and all bar one, did not need a VIC check.

Why was that and when please? The last twice we have tried to obtain a V5 for a cat C it has had to have a VIC. Not a problem as it was just a trip to Derby 20 miles away and a man had a look under the bonnet and seat. I have heard of cat B being put back on the road after a VIC but only on the net, never met anyone who actually did it. If a car is cat C it automatically gets a flag from our experience.

[Edited on 19/2/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gaz_gaz

posted on 19/2/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Yup...

It's a 1998, right hand drive, de-dion, long cockpit, limited volume type-approved fully built clubmans chassis. Originally fitted with a Vauxhall 8v 1.6 engine.

The numbers you've blanked out are the package type, gearbox type, etc.

The last three numbers are the unique chassis number.

Sounds like a guess to me

scootz

posted on 19/2/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's a very good guess though! ;-)

(The chassis number 'decipher-codes' are available on Blachat).

It's Evolution Baby!

gmoto

posted on 19/2/13 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Very helpful, thanks.

And yes, a very good guess .
http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?ChassisNumbers

On the VIC check - it seems it depends if the insurance company puts a VIC check maker against the V5 or not.
If they don't do that, it doesn't need one, from what I can tell.

gmoto

posted on 20/2/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Found the tax disc, though too late to update the ebay auction (must remember to stick a blank image on my public dropbox which I can update):

(Click for full size.)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.