Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best budget dash cam?
lsdweb

posted on 18/2/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Best budget dash cam?

Hi All

I'm looking for a dash cam - I'm about to buy my first 'private' car for a long time (I've had company cars for about 18 years) so I want to be able to film any dodgy driving that may damage my vehicle.

So I'm looking for a suitable dash cam, preferably with gps recording too. Something compact would be good - there are loads on eBay but most look quite big.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Ta in advance

Wyn

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not too cheap, but I can really recommend GoPro. I've got a GoPro 2 HD camera, and it's a brilliant bit of kit - been in cars (inside and out) for usual driving and green laning, away snowboarding, and never failed me yet.

Only downside is the battery life on it, but you can get car chargers to keep them going or replacement batteries are cheap enough on eBay.

I don't know about GPS on it; the latest model (3) might do this?

Have a look on the bay and you can pick them up cheaper second hand if you're willing to have a non-new one.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Slimy38

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I like the ones that have a 'repeating' recording option, IE they always record the last 24 hours or so and cycle round. That way you don't have to keep tidying things up, and you can just halt the recording if you have a bump. Although the last one I saw had this sort of recording, but then could only run on battery power, which seemed like a major design flaw!

Don't forget you'll need at least two, my last accident was a guy hitting my rear quarter which wouldn't have been caught on camera. Shame it wasn't, it was definitely his fault yet I got the blame due to a 'witness' that came from nowhere.

iank

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not budget, but nitram38 had a T-eye ADR3000 that seemed very good for insurance "incidents"

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=124236

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

INDY BIRD

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Go on dog cam they do the road hawk
madmandegge

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Found a refurbished T-Eye for £105.95 delivered on eBay. Seems like a good item for the price, as opposed to buying some unknown item from eBay.

eBay Item

roadrunner

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
You can get apps for your phone that work quite well.
lsdweb

posted on 18/2/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - I just saw this - illegal suction mounted cameras - i found it via a link from a camera that mounts over the sun visor - scare tactics??

40inches

posted on 18/2/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Thanks guys - I just saw this - illegal suction mounted cameras - i found it via a link from a camera that mounts over the sun visor - scare tactics??

That also means that SatNav's and Mobile Phones are illegal,if stuck to the screen!

iank

posted on 18/2/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

That also means that SatNav's and Mobile Phones are illegal,if stuck to the screen!

If within the swept area of the wipers I believe they are, along with air-fresheners hung on the mirror.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

loggyboy

posted on 18/2/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

I think that link is a little misleading, its not as black and white as that.
The swept area diagram is mainly laid out for chips and cracks.

It mail fail an mot, but you can remove it for that, no one can enforce mot regulations but the mot tester, the police and law work by the construction and use regulations.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/q-and-a-special-satellite-navigation/sat-nav-and-the-law/219571

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/stickers-or-other-obscurations-in-front-and-rear-windscreens.pdf

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.