Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 Donor
RIE

posted on 18/2/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 Donor

I've finally done it, after two or more years of researching and dreaming, I've got off my arse and got started (I know, this doesn't bode well for finishing!). An N-reg MX5 MOT fail (rusty sill) is sitting on my drive ready to be stripped. I'll sell what I can on ebay/gumtree and scrap the shell (feel free to U2U if there are any parts you need).

Any recommendations on best way to start stripping it, or is it just a case of unbolting bits?

I've been to GBS and had a good look at the Zero, that's favourite at the moment, but if I have the chance I'm going to look at MNR, Road Runner and Westfield too.

Slimy38

posted on 18/2/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a few ideas about what I'll be doing when I come to strip my future MX5 purchase, not sure if they're actually practical or not but I'll find out soon enough!!

Front and rear subframes will be dismounted in one piece. I'm trying to reuse as much of the suspension as possible, so the easiest way to keep everything together will be to keep everything together! It's about half a dozen bolts to remove the subframes, detach the propshaft and keep them on the wheels to move them about, job done!

I'm going to strip as much of the interior as possible, again keeping with the locost theme I want to reuse seats, clocks seatbelts, even the soft top if I figure out how! Same goes for the lighting, I might not use them in the end but things like the headlamps might work quite well in my car at least (full bodied car rather than a seven lookalike).

The wiring loom will get my most attention, I aim to reuse as much as possible so everything will be labelled and cross referenced.

Engine will probably be left until last, probably because it's one of the main parts that can't be boxed up and put on a shelf!

Panels, doors etc will be Ebay'ed as is, probably at stupidly low prices. Having to store any unnecessary parts will cost me more than the Ebay value of them so they'll be on for £5 each and collection only.

The Vehicle plates will be chopped off the car and kept safe for subsequent registration, whatever metal is left will also be chopped up into chunks and probably sent with the rag and bone man. Unless I can find a scrapyard who would be happy taking a lump of metal with no value beyond it's weight in steel.

I get the impression that a good weekend and a friend will have a car reduced to boxes of spare parts, however conversely if you actually plan a weekend with said friend chances are something will happen and you'll both be sitting around doing nothing for 48 hours.

NigeEss

posted on 18/2/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that a car in pieces takes up a LOT more space !!!!!!!!!!!!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Tazzzzman1

posted on 18/2/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I stripped down a 1996 MX5 for my Roadrunner build last year. Pretty straight forward.
If you intend to re-use the loom which is what I did then make sure you label everything as you unplug it. I have added some details to my build blog https://sites.google.com/site/terryroadrunnersr2builddiary/ It might help as I managed to work out all ECU pin outs for the 1.8 as there is no where that had them that I could find. Main advice is if it's UK spec make sure you keep all the immobilser bits including keys, key aerial on steering column and immobilser as its all coded to the ECU and there is no work around....as I found out to my cost.

The rest is eay...Good luck

HTH

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.