Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bump steer gauge
beaver34

posted on 22/2/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bump steer gauge

Anyone made there own?

If so any pics!

Going to have a go at sorting and checking mine, might need some help along the way

Thanks

mark chandler

posted on 22/2/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Get a laser pointer, strap it to the wheel or disc and point at a wall.

Lock the steering wheel

Remove the road spring so you can easily lift the suspension through its full travel.

As you lift the wheel/hub the point of light should only rise or lower with the hub, if it points in or out you have bump steer

ceebmoj

posted on 22/2/13 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on seloc. There are some nice guide on there wiki
sdh2903

posted on 22/2/13 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
As above.

First time I did mine I didn't have the laser pointer so I used 2 long pieces of ally angle cable tied to front wheels pointing to garage wall. With springs removed Mark the wall at full droop then with a Jack Lower to full compression Mark the wall again. Do some high school trigonometry (or cheat and use online calculator) et voila you have a bump steer angle. Mine was quite a lot, approx 1.5 degrees per wheel of toe in at full compression. Shimming the rack by 6mm pretty much dialled it out.

Good luck!

beaver34

posted on 23/2/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys,

seems quite easy

also want to check my caster angle. any tips for doing this?

what order do i need to be doing it in caster first then bump then camber then toe in/out? as i presume changing some affects others

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/2/13 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe plumbline from the centre of the top balljoint, measure the dstance between the centre of the bottom balljoint and the plumbline, then centre of lower balljoint to centre of upper balljoint, and finally distance of horizontal line through lower balljoint to plumbline and centre of lower balljoint. Then a bit of trigonometry? Hope that makes sense, it's early

Sounds doaable to me?

Someone with a quicker/simpler method will be along in a bit though probably

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

NeilP

posted on 23/2/13 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Neither Bump nor Toe-in will impact Caster - that's fixed by the positions of the wishbones...

Camber by the position of the ball joints (so the top mushroom if fitted comes into play)...

Don't forget trailing hub - that helps with self centring and is also impacted by the mushrooms.

I'd do Caster (wishbone shimming), Camber and trailing hub together (ball joints and mushrooms) then bump steer (rack shimming) - should keep you busy!

HTH, N.

EDIT: And toe-in last (rack ends)

All of which can be done with with straight lengths firmly secured to the wheels/hubs, masking tape on the floor/wall and some basic trig (look up 'inverse Tan' and it will tell you how the maths works)

[Edited on 23/2/2013 by NeilP]

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Minicooper

posted on 23/2/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Get a laser pointer, strap it to the wheel or disc and point at a wall.

Lock the steering wheel

Remove the road spring so you can easily lift the suspension through its full travel.

As you lift the wheel/hub the point of light should only rise or lower with the hub, if it points in or out you have bump steer

I really don't get this, as the wheel rises it will draw an arc, so how can you tell what is normal suspension movement and what is down the bump steering?

Cheers
David

procomp

posted on 23/2/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

That is the problem with trying to measure it with this bodged method. It does not take into account the camber change, that's why some of the readings are so high.

Also why are people trying to get rid off bump steer when you actually want bump steer to give better grip levels in braking and cornering situations. It's more a case off tuning the bump steer to work with the geometry than actually trying to get rid of it.
People need to stop reading out of date books and stop believing all the crap on the WWW. ( something this forum is guilty of ) and get back to solid basics like making sure the camber actually travels in the right direction in the first place, putting 1/2" bolts in 1/2" holes rather than 12mm because it's a few £ cheaper, get the dampers and springs something like right before messing with things like bump steer.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 23/2/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Matt, I accept that you are vastly knowledgeable as you should be as this is your profession but sometimes I wish you would be a bit more positive with your posts. I've spoken to you on the phone a couple of times and you've been very helpful but sometimes your posts come across as being arsey.

Instead of telling us all how we are all doing it wrong why not throw us a bit of info (not too much granted to protect your business). I will openly admit I know very little of this subject but i'm trying to learn a bit here and there (and on a budget) rather than just let an expert do the work for me.

Just my 2p

mark chandler

posted on 23/2/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi.

That is the problem with trying to measure it with this bodged method. It does not take into account the camber change, that's why some of the readings are so high.

Also why are people trying to get rid off bump steer when you actually want bump steer to give better grip levels in braking and cornering situations. It's more a case off tuning the bump steer to work with the geometry than actually trying to get rid of it.
People need to stop reading out of date books and stop believing all the crap on the WWW. ( something this forum is guilty of ) and get back to solid basics like making sure the camber actually travels in the right direction in the first place, putting 1/2" bolts in 1/2" holes rather than 12mm because it's a few £ cheaper, get the dampers and springs something like right before messing with things like bump steer.

Cheers Matt

That's great advice for someone who has all the equipment, however given that 'old book' cars had serious design deficiencies before you even start getting rid of horrendous bump steer will make the car far nicer

My car may not be the best handling car that it could be, however using string, lasers and a bit of trig it centres perfectly, goes around bends well enough and can travel across rumble strips and rough curbing on the track without trying to turn itself out of line.

I agree you will not get perfection, but if the car is badly wrong to start with then you will see a great deal of improvement!

procomp

posted on 23/2/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

Your just not seeing the basic flaw with the method described, as raised by David.
Im all for joe doing it in his garage with basic equitment, but it helps if the method used actualy gives results that are something like acurate.
Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 23/2/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Matt, correct me if I'm wrong but from the various info sources I've read. Bump in is highly undesirable and should be dialed out. In roll a very small amount of bump out can help stability in the twisties?. However the tiny amount of bump out that you would be looking for makes it beyond the skills and equipment of an average Diy'er, well beyond mine anyway.

For now I have removed my bump in that I believe was contributing to my twitchy handling however any further adjustments to compensate for roll and camber etc I feel I would need a bit more professional assistance.

mark chandler

posted on 24/2/13 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
So draw an arc on the wall which follows the camber change, you can now be precise, you only need three points, top bottom and centre as you cannot control the inbetween areas.

Moving the wall out reduces the error ratio, if you have the wall say 2' in front of the car you will definately need to describe the camber change on the wall as the ratio is 1:4 assuming 6" wheel travel, shine at a wall 10' away and the error ratio is now 1:40.

It's not rocket science to measure, the further away the wall the more accurate you can be

whitestu

posted on 24/2/13 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Matt is right and wrong. If you intend to make your car as good as it can be spend the money and get it set up professionally. If you want to make it massively better for almost no cost get a cheap laser pointer and follow the instructions for dialling out bump steer.

Being a tight arse I did the latter and my car is much nicer to drive.

Stu

NeilP

posted on 24/2/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you can't get it how you want it go and take your car to Matt and Ivan (Procomp in Brum) - they are mechanical magicians...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

indykid

posted on 24/2/13 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you fix your laser pointers perpendicular to the disc face, you isolate all the camber change/wishbone arc effects and only see toe (assuming you keep the wishbone pivot axes horizontal). Couple of boards stood next to the car with vertical lines drawn on and you're good to go.

Have I missed something? I doubt anyone is running antidive, so that shouldn't be an issue.

beaver34

posted on 24/2/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeilP
If you can't get it how you want it go and take your car to Matt and Ivan (Procomp in Brum) - they are mechanical magicians...

that i will, or somewhere more local TBH once ive iron out all the niggles and recovered from the cost of mapping tax and insurance this month!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.