Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MSDroid now supports USB connections
scudderfish

posted on 23/2/13 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
MSDroid now supports USB connections

MSLogger has been retired and we've joined forces with MSDroid (link). One unique feature of the latest update is that if your Android device has USB host support, you can now connect to your MS ECU with an FTDI USB adaptor. If you have an MS3, this is the adaptor built into it.
USB is much better than Bluetooth, I see twice the read rate, and it's a lot more stable. USB support is bleeding edge right now, AFAIK no other Android Megasquirt app supports it, so please give it a go if you can.

Regards,
Dave

v8kid

posted on 23/2/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I could understand that.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 23/2/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I need to get me an MS3 CPU and get designing a decent mainboard so I can play with this!

scudderfish

posted on 23/2/13 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
I wish I could understand that.

Cheers!

Sorry, I get caught up in this and forget that not everyone can read my mind

A while back I wrote an Android application called MSLogger that would talk to Megasquirt ECUs over a Bluetooth link. Earlier this year I retired it and the two of us who were working on MSLogger threw our lot in with a guy called Trevor Page who was working on a similar application called MSDroid. We released a new version of it today that overcomes the limitations of Bluetooth by allowing a USB connection to the ECU if your Android device can do it. You get much greater amounts of data from the ECU, and it is a more reliable wired connection. It means that you can log and tune your ECU with a mobile phone or tablet without having a laptop rattling around in the car.

coyoteboy

posted on 23/2/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
How do you deal with the smaller interface? It was pretty hard to tune the MS with a 12 inch laptop screen, i've not played with msdroid yet but how do you get around the "large table, small viewing area" issue?

Just installed, looks pretty promising. Does it/will it have the ability to display AFR on the fuel table page for example?

Must play more. Going to have to root my phone to use OTG? (SGS2)

[Edited on 23/2/13 by coyoteboy]

ashg

posted on 24/2/13 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
i will give it a go i have an ms3 on the roadster, also have a nexus 7 and htc 1x too

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

scudderfish

posted on 24/2/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
There should be no need to root as we're following the official Android APIs. This code was developed using an unrooted Asus Transformer tablet and tested on an unrooted HTC One X. This does mean you really need to be running Android 3.2 or greater.

I don't have it to hand to see if AFR is on the fuel page, but I'll raise it as an issue as it sounds very sensible.

SteveRST

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
So, am I right in thinking I can use the standard USB cable that came with my Samsung S3 phone (which I use to charge it, connect to PC etc), and just use an adaptor like this to connect the USB cable to the USB input on my MS3?

Steve

[Edited on 26/4/13 by SteveRST]

scudderfish

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, I don't know. I don't have either an S3 or an MS3 so I can't comment on the suitability. Searching eBay with some keywords brings up this lot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=samsung+s3+otg+usb&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Regards,
Dave

SteveRST

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that a simple USB OTG cable does allow me to use the MSDroid app on my Samsung S3 phone, using just the MS3 USB connection. No bluetooth, no serial cable, no changes to the phone firmware or settings.

This is the cable I bought for just £1.09 inc. post: MICRO USB OTG HOST CABLE ADAPTER FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 S3 Note 2 Google Nexus 10 | eBay

The USB OTG (On The Go) Cable allows many USB devices to function when connected to the phone. I tried it with a USB mouse, memory stick, digital camera etc.
To get MSDroid working I did have to copy the MS3 Firmware .ini file in to the MSdroid/ini/ installation folder on the phone - MSDroid didn't seem to have the newer definitions for MS3 firmware 1.2.1 and couldn't detect the ECU otherwise.
Once done it loaded straight up and I can view the dashboard guages on the phone and alter the ECU settings & maps as you do in TunerStudio.

Excellent, don't have to lug the laptop around now!

Well done on such as excellent and useful app Dave, and the MSDroid team. I'll be giving it a proper trial over the weekend.

Steve

Furyous

posted on 30/5/13 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST

The USB OTG (On The Go) Cable allows many USB devices to function when connected to the phone. I tried it with a USB mouse, memory stick, digital camera etc.
To get MSDroid working I did have to copy the MS3 Firmware .ini file in to the MSdroid/ini/ installation folder on the phone - MSDroid didn't seem to have the newer definitions for MS3 firmware 1.2.1 and couldn't detect the ECU otherwise.
Once done it loaded straight up and I can view the dashboard guages on the phone and alter the ECU settings & maps as you do in TunerStudio.

I was having problems with MSDroid and my Microsquirt using USB OTG. It was continually "Connecting to device" but not doing anything else. I'll have a go at what you suggested.

I had problems with Tunerstudio on my PC until I played around with firmware settings, so that might be what the problem was.

scudderfish

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST

I was having problems with MSDroid and my Microsquirt using USB OTG. It was continually "Connecting to device" but not doing anything else. I'll have a go at what you suggested.

I had problems with Tunerstudio on my PC until I played around with firmware settings, so that might be what the problem was.

Error reporting when it doesn't work is one of the things we've been working on. A couple of things to try:-
1. Make sure the baud rate is set correctly for USB. None of us have a Microsquirt, but I assume it is 115200
2. In the MSDroid directory on your phone there probably is a debug log file. Send it to me (dave.g.smith@gmail.com) and I'll take a look.
3. Add whatever INI file you are using in TunerStudio into the ini directory on your phone.

Regards,
Dave

Kghaas

posted on 19/6/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have been looking at the app, and it looks relay great. I am going to hook up my duratec build with microsquirt later this summer so will definitely use it in the future.
One question, is it possible to load a map from a file? I have the file, but it seams that it is only possible to load from the ecu

scudderfish

posted on 19/6/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
The currently released version doesn't allow you to load an MSQ (the code is there internally, but it didn't work very well so the option doesn't appear on the menu). However we're on the cusp of releasing a new version which will do that and a lot of other groovy stuff as well
scudderfish

posted on 19/6/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally, whilst MSDroid is free to use, we would be grateful that if you find it useful you make a donation to Cancer Research via this link :-

http://www.justgiving.com/MSDroid/

Regards,
Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.