Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Planning Permission??
rich201283

posted on 4/3/13 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Planning Permission??

I am putting up a wooden 24x12ft workshop - Planning regs says must not cover more that 50% garden.

My question is does this include the total garden around your house?

whitestu

posted on 4/3/13 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that it is the total area, but there are seperate rules areas between the front elevation of the house and the road, and height restrictions.

Stu

designer

posted on 4/3/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
You need a planning expert for this question.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garyo

posted on 4/3/13 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ask over on diynot.com... it's locostbuilders for houses!
tegwin

posted on 4/3/13 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I may be wrong but wouldn't something that size have to comply with building regs. If so you coul do it under permitted development. Best way to find out is to go direct to the horses mouth and phone your local building regs/control department at the councel. It's their job to know and advise!!!

Have you found the interactive planning tool online? Helps you visualize what you can and can't do under pd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

JeffHs

posted on 4/3/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
There are also issues of fire spread that stop you building wooden structures within 2 metres of your boundary
whitestu

posted on 4/3/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Have you been on the planning portal? It answers most questions pretty well.
loggyboy

posted on 4/3/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you are talking about keeping it within PD (Permitted Development) levels.
In which case this link will help answer your questions. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/miniguide

If you find your proposal is not within the PD guidelines, then theres a good chance you can still do it, you will just need to apply for planning permission.

Mistral Motorsport

D Beddows

posted on 4/3/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a completely wooden construction or is it going to stand on a few courses of bricks? If it's all wood (like mine - which is the same size incidentally) and just rests on a concrete base it's classed as a temporary structure which is a very different animal to a brick/block building Obviously if it's going to annoy your neighbours (or you are once you're doing workshop things in it) you need to tread more carefully otherwise I would just build it

I'm an Architectural Technician btw so know all about planning regs before anyone gets all 'knowledgeable'

Slimy38

posted on 4/3/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Obviously if it's going to annoy your neighbours (or you are once you're doing workshop things in it)

I see that being the key part about all this 'permitted development'. It's all well and good being able to avoid the planning permission process, but it's still got to be within the normal regulations and be 'acceptable'. And I'm sure I saw somewhere that neighbours can still object in the same way they can object to plans, but if the objection is approved then it's a building tear down instead of a change of plans?

As an example, our extension went through prior to PD, and the first draft actually got rejected because part of the extension could be seen past the line of trees at the bottom of the plot. There's nothing in the regs that say x percent of the building must be covered by trees, but it still got rejected. We had to pull the corner in slightly so it wasn't as obvious.

loggyboy

posted on 4/3/13 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Is it a completely wooden construction or is it going to stand on a few courses of bricks? If it's all wood (like mine - which is the same size incidentally) and just rests on a concrete base it's classed as a temporary structure which is a very different animal to a brick/block building Obviously if it's going to annoy your neighbours (or you are once you're doing workshop things in it) you need to tread more carefully otherwise I would just build it

I'm an Architectural Technician btw so know all about planning regs before anyone gets all 'knowledgeable'

You may know about Building regs but this is about planning! lol
Out buildings come under the same rules no matter what they are made of.

Mistral Motorsport

D Beddows

posted on 4/3/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'm talking about planning too - if it's less than 50% of the grounds around the house, less than 2.5 meters high, you don't have neigbours that don't have much of a life/hate you AND don't intend engine tuning at 1am I would still just build it

It's a risk assement thing, without knowing the area it's hard to say but from experience I could get a pretty good idea of what to do from just a quick walk round the surrounding streets - involving the planning dept officially can sometimes unlock a pandoras box you wish you never opened BUT there's nothing stopping you having an informal/hypothetical chat with them

[Edited on 4/3/13 by D Beddows]

MikeRJ

posted on 4/3/13 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf
JoelP

posted on 4/3/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
There is a walk in clinic at out local planning office, just turn up mon to fri 10-4 and fire away to your hearts content. You want it from the horses mouth really.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.