Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric petrol pump
bumpy

posted on 5/3/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Electric petrol pump

I have a Sierra based kit car with mechanical pump which I want to replace with an electric pump.

The electric pump will be in the engine compartment so will need to be able to self prime and pull petrol from a tank at a lower level.

I know an old SU pump would do this as I had one in a Morris Minor about 40 years ago, but any other recommendations?

DarrenW

posted on 5/3/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Stick with what was originally designed for the fuel system you are using unless you have seriously upped the performance.

My first engine / carb combo was std pinto and 38DGAS. I fitted a facet red top which was way too powerful even with pressure reg. Carb flooded and ignited. I had to wear brown pants for a while until I Sussed out what was happening. Mechanical pump was refitted and worked well (good for 150bhp aparently). Next carbs were ZZR1100, I fitted 1000cc bike fuel pump and all was well.

Not Anumber

posted on 5/3/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Also if you did go the electric pump route you would need some way of ensuring it would cut out when the engine stopped running.

bumpy

posted on 5/3/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Also if you did go the electric pump route you would need some way of ensuring it would cut out when the engine stopped running.

Dont these pumps sense when the carburretor is full and just stop?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/3/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the Facets that come in Red and Silver Tops (diaphragm - lovely loud ticking noise tells you it's pumping) and the solid state versions on various flavours of standard and tuned Hillman Imp. A Filter King pressure regulator was always used, whether I had to, or not, I never explored. I still have a virtually new Filter King (with instructions) in a box somewhere.... anyway....

Pump was run on a separate switch feed from an ignition live (along with a start push). Hit ignition switch, powers up the pump and start switches.

Others used the oil pressure switch as a safety to the pump feed, after the initial start circuit.

Paul Turner

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
An electric fuel pump is one of the single best modifications I have made in my 25 years with kit cars.

My first 4 years were spent using the standard Ford pump on a x-flow. Never had any problems but starting from cold was always a bit of fun juggling the throttle as the engine tried to pump enough fuel before cutting out and having to try all over again.

When I sold that car I kept the engine/carbs etc and used them again but had no fuel pump since it was used on the engine in the car when I sold it. I bought a Facet Silvertop and a regulator and was amazed. When I first started the engine after it had stood in the garage for at least 6 months it was simply wait for the pump clicking to slow down, turn key and the engine started and ran smoothly. It was like that until I went injection 12 years later.

But you must use a regulator and ideally it should be set so that it provided just enough fuel at full throttle for at least a minute i.e. the longest strait you are ever likely to encounter, its normally about 3 psi. An electric pump is normally rated at about 6 psi which is too much pressure for the needle valve in Webers, it will flood the float chambers and then the engine will run rich and excess will escape with the obvious fire risk.

[Edited on 6/3/13 by Paul Turner]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.