Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel hose
emwmarine

posted on 5/3/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel hose

I am running fuel injection supply and return hose up the transmission tunnel of the Dax. Am I allowed to cable tie the two rubber hoses together at all or can they not touch anything at all?

I have read the iva manual but it isnt clear.

Building a Dax Rush.

snapper

posted on 6/3/13 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
I would P clip
I would also use copper micro bore central heating tube in the tunnel and only use injection rated hose to join to engine, fuel pumps and tank

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jps

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
How does using central heating pipe work with proving to Mr IVA that it is suitable for fuel? all the other hosing needs to be either embossed with 'ok for fuel' markings doesn't it?
40inches

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
How does using central heating pipe work with proving to Mr IVA that it is suitable for fuel? all the other hosing needs to be either embossed with 'ok for fuel' markings doesn't it?

Because copper is impervious to fuel?

chris-g

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Cupro Nickel or Kunifer as it is often called might be better. Its more corrosion resistant and less prone to work hardening than Copper. It is more expensive and not as easy to hold of in 8mm diameter as copper micro-bore for central heating.
loony

posted on 6/3/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
And what about 8mm LPG copper pipe ? Is it suitable for use as fuel lines ?
LPG autogas grade copper pipe tube 2 M meters x 8mm (R21) | eBay

or FARO flexi pipe ?
(8mm) LPG AUTOGAS FARO FLEXI PIPE - 1 meter with 2 fixings | eBay

[Edited on 6/3/13 by loony]

Lucas

snapper

posted on 6/3/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I and many others pass with copper microbore
It's not an issue, does not need EU or BS stamps and is seen buy IVA testers on a regular basis
Copper or Kunifer, I prefer copper and if its good enough for brakes its good enough for fuel

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

chris-g

posted on 6/3/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Brake lines are usually Kunifer. Personally I have nothing against using copper as such, just that Kunifer seems to be the recommended material.
emwmarine

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just to sharpen up the original question. If two correctly labelled fuel hoses are running side by side, p-clipped as well, if there is a bit where it looks better to tie clip wrap them together, is that against any rules? I can't see they would chaff.

Building a Dax Rush.

Bluemoon

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have copper.. Works o.k but if you use copper it can work harden and crack (same with break line, copper/Nickel is better in this respect).

I would not use flexible rubber pipe in locations that are difficult to change. The rubber can age and need replacing in a short time.

Generally the fuel line need to be secure and not able to rub against anything so abrasion can't occur. People use rubber lined P clips with the fuel lines and spaced P-clips ~30cm to ensure this is the case. Not sure about cable ties, I have used a couple on the rubber fuel lines in our car BUT the line at these points are sleeved by a bigger rubber pipe so no abbrasion can occur. I have done this at points were the pipe could flap about and case abrasion...

As to running flow and return close together I have done this in copper with two metal rubber lined P clips sharing the same attachemen. This arrangment means the two pipes cant touch. With Rubber pipes you will need more P clips to stop this; hard line is a better option for longer runs....

tie wraps have sharp edges I would not attache them directly to the rubber pipe, see my comment about a rubber sleeve to stop this.. i.e. after all the hassle some form of hard line can be easier (nylon (?) based lines can be a good choice if you want something flexible)....

Dan

[Edited on 6/3/13 by Bluemoon]

jps

posted on 6/3/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Because copper is impervious to fuel?

I guess my question was because, although what you have said is the 'common sense / logical' response - from what i've gleaned over the last few months the IVA inspection process doesn't necessarily always follow these principles! (e.g. around how the VIN is marked onto the chassis...!)

loggyboy

posted on 6/3/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone used aluminium pipe for fuel lines? Looking at the prices of copper and kunifer theres not much in it.

Mistral Motorsport

40inches

posted on 6/3/13 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
Just to sharpen up the original question. If two correctly labelled fuel hoses are running side by side, p-clipped as well, if there is a bit where it looks better to tie clip wrap them together, is that against any rules? I can't see they would chaff.

What I have done, is fit 2 P-clips, using one fixing screw in between them. Or you could go the extra mile (bling) and
use hose separators Link, I have seen them a lot cheaper on eBay,

rdodger

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have used plastic from Kit Spares
snapper

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
^
What he said
+
What I said

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.