Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting a zetec and type 9 into a loco
pick

posted on 9/3/13 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mounting a zetec and type 9 into a loco

Hi, I have done loads of searching but I am still undecided so thought it best to get others opinions in this...
I have my silver top 1.8 zetec and type 9 sat in my chassis but the shifter is far to far toward the front of the car.
I am undecided, should I...
A) mod the chassis to get the engine as far back as I can, improving the weight distribution? but this will narrow the tunnel and may cause an issue with the pedal assembly?
B) buy or make a gearbox extension ?

What are your opinions on this and what problems have others met using either method?
Thanks in advance!
Shaw

Dunbikin

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I put an extension on my gearbox to bring the lever back 6". I was surprised how well it worked and a good feel during changes. If you move your engine/gearbox back that also means getting the prop shaft shortened.

Ron said it would cost 250 quid. My wife thinks it did.

Macbeast

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Gear box extension seems the obvious way to go. At about £50 saves a lot of time and effort.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

umgrybab

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I would go the other way and mod the chassis. But it all depends what you are wanting from your car. If you're wanting a race machine with perfect balance then mod the chassis, the steering rack, suspension geometry, chassis triangulation.... But if you just want a sweet ride that is fast and light and you'll take out only on a sunday, then just add a remote shifter.
JeffHs

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is a first book, narrow live axle chassis. I moved my engine back by about 5 inches, but I was at the building stage then so it was no big deal but solved a host of other problems.
I chopped out the front of the tunnel to get the box in then plated it with 18g steel to regain the strength, so it looks more like a tin top bulkhead than a standard seven. The only compromise I had to make was around my feet. There is no room to put my foot to the left of the clutch pedal, but I've driven a lot of cars that are no better in that respect (911 Porsce springs to mind).
The gearlever is right where it should be, the steering shaft had a much better run and I was able to use the existing big alternator (Pinto and RS ally bell housing on Rocket gearbox)

40inches

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield do an extension, not the cheapest, but it works.

pick

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice, can anyone recommend a brand/supplier of a remote?
I have a pretty much blank canvas as far as the other components are concerned so I'm open to options. To be honest I favour the chassis mod but as you quite rightly say, is it worth the effort for £50..

slingshot2000

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure that Ben_Copeland, a member on here, supplies these or sells them on eBay. May be worth a u2u to him to find out.

Regards
Jon

rusty nuts

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Made my own for the total cost of £0.92 including a quick shift following instructions I found on David Jenkins website.
lewis

posted on 9/3/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had a extension on when I bought the car,hated it & took it off very sloppy gear changes & hard to find gears,might just have been mine though.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/3/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
I am sure that Ben_Copeland, a member on here, supplies these or sells them on eBay. May be worth a u2u to him to find out.

Regards
Jon

Used to, afraid not any more

[Edited on 9/3/13 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 9/3/13 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dog leg gear lever --- which is the way Lotus did it.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

macc man

posted on 9/3/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
The zetec in my car is mounted further back and gives more clearance for air filter on carbs and gear lever is idealy positioned.
Only compromise is narrower tunnel but as mine is a wide body it is not that critical.
Not that hard to do yourself but a fellow builder may be able to help you.

pick

posted on 9/3/13 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well a little update, the grinder has been busy this aft, removed the two vertical uprights at the front of the tunnel, I am going to replace these with 40x20 rhs diagonals to clear the gearbox, the tunnel will need notching further back near the rear gearbox mount so am going to overlap and dog leg the box section, when I find my 110 converter for the mitre saw I'll post some pics. Thanks for the advice

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.