Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cvh engine?
evonigel

posted on 10/3/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
cvh engine?

hi all is a 1600 turbo ford cvh engine a good choice for a kit car??
Talon Motorsport

posted on 10/3/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Which kit car RWD, FWD, inline or transverse?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
evonigel

posted on 10/3/13 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
westfield
austin man

posted on 10/3/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
They can make good power my nephews Series 2 RS Turbo was running about 180bhp until he fried it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

perksy

posted on 10/3/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evonigel
westfield

It has been done and the version that came out with us on a club run went really well,
Seem to remember it was a decent fit in the engine bay but it did use the V8 bonnet.

jossey

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I miss can engines... I love the sound of the tappets tapping away.

TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP tap tap t tap .........

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
INDY BIRD

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just found my brothers old cvh Westfield for sale here,

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-1994/1152866

This was A cvh engine car not 115 bhp ish but was fun and on the road quite lively upto 100 ish,

And relatively light,

SE pics for engine install,

evonigel

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-seiw-sports-2001/1143122

this is the car i am thinking on buying
opinions welcome

austin man

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
217 BHP at the wheels that must be a really well sorted example, It looks a very nice build and a relatively high spec westfields do hold their prices. I feel that you may get other examples for less though

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

evonigel

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
217 BHP at the wheels that must be a really well sorted example, It looks a very nice build and a relatively high spec westfields do hold their prices. I feel that you may get other examples for less though

funny enough i feel that 217bhp at the wheels may be a bit ambitious but if its genuine it must go really well

monck

posted on 11/3/13 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
Looks a tidy car that ..

My Dad raced an xr2 for a few years with a n/a 1.6 cvh it had a fair bit done when the engine was built all i remember was it was quick or we thought it was untill the rules changed and 16v engines where allowed then honda power made the old fords look slow Untill this change it was great when it worked but seemed to constantly need fidling with ..

Not sure on westfeild prices but surley a more modern lump is possible at that price thats my prefrence anyway

maccmike

posted on 11/3/13 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
seems a lot of money
loggyboy

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
You'd have to pay me (lots) to have a CVH in any car. Hateful hateful engines!

Mistral Motorsport

Jenko

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I ran a 2ltr CVH in My westfield - It was a Ferriday bottom end, and proved to be fantastic - lots of torque lower down the rev range, and made for a very quick car - it peaked at around 175bhp, but this was at 6200rpm....OK, not the same of as a turbo, but not bad.

CVH engines got a bad reputation because if they were not looked after, the oil feeds in the head to the cams would gunge up and eat cam shafts....of course, if the oil was changed often, this would not happen, and the engine was actually quite good. Large valves as standard, not a bad flowing head (although massive gains could be made with porting), and a very strong bottom end.

If you like turbos, then I can think of worse engines to have them on....there is a huge amount of information available on the cvh turbo, and figures of 350bhp plus are not unheard of.........For a track car, then I personally would prefer a N/A as the turbo can be a little unforgiving....but, as they say....proof is in the pudding. With any waestfield, I would adivise to drive a few and see what you like. They are all SO different.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

FASTdan

posted on 12/3/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
That power output isn't that ambitious at all. With a decent hybrid and management its pretty much standard fair for a decent RS turbo. Not to mention its had the internals worked.

The tapping comments are daft too. As has been said, poorly maintained then yes, but a nicely built one looked after does not tap.

I bet it'll be an absolute animal - not the most capable (its a turbo afterall) but lairy smiles per mile......

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.