Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oulton park sat
bobthebuilder

posted on 10/3/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
oulton park sat

well where do i start,
i have been looking forward to this day as i have recently had the engine rejetted (extra 20bhp) and the suspension setup.
so after waking up praying for a miracale that it would be dry it wasnt. it was wet and cold.

got to the track unloaded the car and changed the front wheels. set of on the sighting laps to find that the front right was catching the mudgaurd bracket.
came straight in and bent them so they cleared then back out. it was apparent from the go that my rear tyres that were great in the dry were shocking in the wet,so before going out again i changed all my tyres about to what i new was ok.

went out for a couple of stints and came in freezing cold and wet thinking thats it i am going home.
after warming up a bit i decided to go out for a little more and to put my camera on to get a bit ov vid. it recorded 4 mins before it decided to break,which wasnt even a full lap.

i continued after dinner and decided that i would do 1 last stint then come in,pack up and go home.
after about 15 laps and then saying (this is my last lap) for 3 laps i was coming in. pushing a little bit more than i had all day i came round druids to find a car rejoining the track right where i wanted to be. nutsack was my first thought but he had seen me and it looked like i was going to be alright. that was right up to the point my back end stepped out then it was left,right,left,right,left then right accross the front of the recovering car just catching his front tow bar(apparently he saw me coming and hit the brakes just in time)then straight into the barrier.
i quickly recovered back to the pits to discover that my nose cone was pushed right into my rad which now had a big hole where my rad fan sender used to be and now looked like a bannana.
so after a quick check up at the medical center i packed up and went home.

thats it for the car, it is getting repaired and sold. i have had enough.
4 bloody track days in it and only one that wasnt raining. i am gonig back to 4 wheel drive turbo power.

Westy1994

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to read this Bob, don't be too hasty in getting rid. These things happen, its a track with the other folks on it, accidents happen... At least you are ok, which is the main thing.

After an 'incident' in my racing days, I would put the car away still broken for a few weeks, then when the time was right go back to it and start the rebuild. I could have sold my car many times over had I sold it right away after a bad day or breakages.

If after a few months you still feel the same way, then sell it.

mark chandler

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Bit harsh blaming the car for the weather, if you get cold it's because you have not dressed appropriately for the conditions.

I only plan to take mine out if the weather is going to be good, the risk is the same with whatever car you are in however repair costs on a locost are very cheap, I,ve fallen off a couple of times with damage but was able to resolve quickly, if you were in a modern car would the same apply?

That aside in the dry I have never been outpaced by a turbo 4wd car, my tyres cost pennies so I would not change as a hobby machine as its much faster for the money.

deezee

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah its crap when it all goes wrong, but if you're not enjoying the car, get something you do enjoy. A locost isn't for everyone, especially if you miss the creature comforts and ease of cornering you'll get in a Subaru / Evo. Personally I have the car for a thrilling drive on the roads, don't need to corner at crazy speeds, seems fast enough around Wales. Although I do appreciate what you say about the cold. Got caught out driving in Feb and nearly froze to death. Ended up going back home for more clothes!

bobthebuilder

posted on 11/3/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
i am not blaming the car for the weather its just that i just cant wait to see if its a sunny day to go for a track day as i have to book well in advance due to hectic work commitments and to get cheaper deals as i dont have much spare funds.

dont get me wrong, on the one day it was sunny it was fantastic but i just need somthing a bit more alround, be it dry or wet and when i had my gtir it was grin factor 10 whatever the weather.
i not bothered about being the fastest or overtaking everyone, i just want to have a fun day driving like i stole it.

its going to take a couple of weeks before i can get it fixed and will see how i feel then, besides i have been given a mitsu galant vr4 so might be able to keep both. one for sunny days and one for the rain, will have to see what the better half has to say about it.

by the way i was dressed for the weather as i work outside everyday. i had 2 pairs of trousers,2 tee shirts,jumper, padded hi vis waterproof jacket, hi vis waterproof trousers, nitrile gloves under a pair of work gloves.

anyway cheers for the replys

yozza

posted on 19/3/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Oulton park 26th March

Sorry to hear your car got damaged, especially after a cold and wet day. I am taking my 205 next Tuesday if you are about.
Just send me a message and you can have a blast round in mine, it's nothing special but a really good laugh in the wet or the dry.
Regards
Joe

bobthebuilder

posted on 20/3/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
hi joe, thats a very nice offer.
cars not too bad,nearly got it fixed now just got to spray the nose cone.
i will certainly try to get up but due to my job i never know what part of the country i am in.

thanks again rob

Westy1994

posted on 20/3/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear it's almost fixed Bob.. You keeping it now ??.
bobthebuilder

posted on 21/3/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
still undercided about keeping it. will have to wait and see what the new car is like first.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.