Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any solar panel experts
steve8274

posted on 11/3/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Any solar panel experts

Hi all
Looking to get some solar panels installed at home and have had various quotes.
Due to size of roof, it looks like I can only get 3kw system. Roof is south facing.
I have been told best option for me would be

8 x 250w Hyundai photovoltaic panels,
5 x 218w Hyundai panels
Samil 4000TL Inverter

Has anyone any experience of these? Are they good brands in solar industry? Is the system listed any good?

Tried to do some research but so many facts and figures, I am not sure what I'm looking at

Thanks

JonnyS

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine runs this company and they're not far from you:

http://www.thephoenixworks.com/

steve8274

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyS
A friend of mine runs this company and they're not far from you:

http://www.thephoenixworks.com/

Thanks for the link. Leeds maybe bit far from me. Think I have enough quotes now anyway.
Just need to clarify what I have been quoted is ok quality wise.
Had 4 quotes and 2 independent companies suggested them
Thanks
Steve

ashg

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
look into the lifespan of the inverters and cost of replacement before you go down the dark road.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

steve8274

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
look into the lifespan of the inverters and cost of replacement before you go down the dark road.

The samil inverter has a warranty of 10 years. Not sure on replacement costs

evonigel

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
BE CAREFULL!!
ashg

posted on 12/3/13 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

The samil inverter has a warranty of 10 years. Not sure on replacement costs

it will be over a grand for a new inverter, factor the cost of a new inverter into your longterm (20 year) calcs inverter failure has the potential to kill any saving made.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

russbost

posted on 12/3/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 4kW installatiion put in 15 months ago (Nov '11). I would point out that it would not have made any economic sense without the daftly high level of government subsidy (now reduced), but obviously the cost of panels has dropped dramatically in that time, I paid £10k for my installation, I would imagine for a 3kW install at todays price you're looking at around £4?

My roof faces approx SW, not ideal; more to the point it is in shade due to large trees for substantial chunks of the day - even so I felt it was worth a go as the returns were so high & I've not been disappointed. In the first full year the panels have generated over 2000kW of power, I've already had cheques thro' for around £1000 (10% of initial investment) + over £200 off my electricity bill last year so I'm a happy bunny - can't think of anywhere else you can get a TAX FREE return of 12% on your capital nowadays!

That said it only works if you have the cash to pay for it currently earning peanuts in the bank & you're happy to be living in the same place for the next few years at least until it has paid for itself.

I have a friend up in Newcastle who has an East/West installation, again far from ideal & he's way further north than me, but he's generated more power than I have simply because he doesn't get the shadow across his roof that I do, so if you're anywhere south of Newcastle your 3kW installation would probs supply as much as my 4kW install, you will however only be getting the new lower tariffs in terms of return.

In terms of the quality of what is out there, it all has to meet the government criteria & is guaranteed for 25 years (on a reducing basis), yes the inverter is "only" guaranteed for 10 years but they are specified to take the max power the panels can produce, which will probably never actually happen for more than a few minutes at a time so are way over specified in terms of capacity, as they are solid state there's not much to go wrong, but as with everything in solar at present prices will only come down (or inflation go up whilst they stay static) so I doubt an inverter would be more than £800 in real terms in say 12 years time if it packed up & if the next one is also guaranteed for 10 years & lasts 12 then your installation is by then at the end of its life anyway

I would ask to speak to previous clients of the company to see what their experience of install has been like & obviously google them to see if anyone is dissing them on forums etc.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Not Anumber

posted on 12/3/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Is it practical yet to buy the panels and inverter and install it yourself ? I can't abide the idea of wasting money paying someone to do a basic engineering job i could do myself.

steve8274

posted on 12/3/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses. All greatly received.
@ashg I take on board the cost of replacing inverter. It was one of the reasons the company offered the samil one with its manufacturers 10 year warranty. Apparently some others only offer 5 years
@evonigel. Be careful of what? More info needed
@russbost. Great info. Thanks. My roof is south facing with no shading and I am in northwest so I should get a good result.
Have seen the companies work and it looks good. In fact 2 people from work have used them and they very happy so far. Although I must add, different panels and inverter. They both have 4 kw system cos they had space and the panels used on theirs wouldn't fit on mine. Or they would but would end up with less than 3kw

I suppose I should trust the companies judgement since they should know more than me. Just wanted to know if anyone had experiences of the equipment recommended for me.

steve8274

posted on 12/3/13 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Is it practical yet to buy the panels and inverter and install it yourself ? I can't abide the idea of wasting money paying someone to do a basic engineering job i could do myself.

Not so sure of that and definitely don't think Missus would allow it. Plus thought you had to have it installed by accredited companies in order to get the feed in tariff etc

russbost

posted on 12/3/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber

Not so sure of that and definitely don't think Missus would allow it. Plus thought you had to have it installed by accredited companies in order to get the feed in tariff etc

You won't get the subsidies unless installed by an approved contractor

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 12/3/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
All the equipment and the installer have to be approved by the MCS otherwise you cannot claim tariffs.

MCS- microgeneration certification scheme.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Not Anumber

posted on 12/3/13 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know of installers that will certify an adequate DIY installation - my experience has been that plenty of gas fitters and electricians are happy to inspect and certify for a fee.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.