Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tax Grrrrr!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 28/3/13 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Tax Grrrrr!

tried taxing the car on line (SORN at the mo) but it fails on, guess what? THE MOT!!! Car was first registered last summer.

So I guess I'll have to go into the post office and try there. I have an email I got from the DVLA which quotes:

"I can confirm that an MOT test is needed if a vehicle is first registered more than 3 years ago, or if it was manufactured and used on a road not less than 3 years before being registered. The date a vehicle is registered under a 'Q' mark will be the date of first registration, an MOT is not required until 3 years from that date. The legislation supporting this is Section 47(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988"

So hopefully there should not be an issue. We will see.........

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Westy1994

posted on 28/3/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
What a PIA, sorry about that, I take it the MOT cert agrees with you, sorry I'm not familar with newly re'gd cars, do you get a certificate in those cases?.
parkiboy

posted on 28/3/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Had the same issue mate, load of bollocks! All the hassle you go through getting the car registered and then it's still a nightmare after!
steve8274

posted on 28/3/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I am wondering how mine will get on. Is it 3 years on a newly registered car or also on age related plate. Mine passed last year with age related plate and guess I won't know until I try and tax mine. Can the decision be over ruled?
ReMan

posted on 28/3/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Did you MOT it before IVA?, even a little bit?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

rb968

posted on 28/3/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same when I tried to tax online (IVA was Oct 2011 on a Q plate)

I sorned mine in the end but not expecting an issue when I go to the post office and do it. I think it's just the online system can't handle it.

Nothing surprises my about the DVLA!

Rich

austin man

posted on 28/3/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
trying to tax mine online and its trying to make me tax from March the 1st

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

johnwilders

posted on 28/3/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
When I registered my book built locost the best I expected was an age related plate but I was issued a 52 plate, I’m not entitled to it and it even says on the reg doc built from used parts so It will be interesting to see if I get 3 years MOT grace when the time comes.
ashg

posted on 28/3/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
i got three years on my roadster on an age related plate, taxed it online every year since new

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bill132hotrod

posted on 28/3/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Tax

If you have less than (1) mth MOT left on the car they will not tax it either. They will always make you tax it back to the biginning of the mth as well.

PERSEVERANCE is the word of the week. Stick with it the results are SWEET.

PeterV

posted on 29/3/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Same thing here. Tax on line fail! Phoned DVLA go forth to the post office they say. Tax at local post office fail! Tax at Colchester main post office fail! Tax at Chelmsford DVLA 2 hours 1 helper 4 consults 2 computers later and I'm finally granted the privilege of handing the chancellor my hard earned. This is the cars first birthday and the stupid MOT request from the DVLA form really screws things up

Big big worry is that next year all the DVLA offices will be closed!!!! What the heck do we all do then?

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/3/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Worked fine for me, I just took that form along - the one where you tick that the car is exempt from requiring an MOT - can;t remember the name, but its for tractors and stuff usually - but applies to our cars to under 3 years old.

passed it in with the rest of the paperwork and BOOM, instant tax disc. That was a couple of years ago before I had to sell

Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/3/13 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Did you MOT it before IVA?, even a little bit?

No mate, I made sure I didn't because as soon as you do that it's on 'the system'!!

austin man, I was given the option to take tax from 1 March or 1 April (failed after that due to the MOT issue). I think it's 5 days before 1st of the next month that it let's you tax for that month.

I'm off to the local main PO tomorrow to see how I get on.

I think the form that Dangle_kt refers to is this one

[Edited on 29/3/13 by Daddylonglegs]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/3/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well, went to the main PO, but it was closed - industrial action! So went to the next nearset and guess what? It's taxed Result! No if's no but's just a new tax disc Just got to fit the remote brake reservoir, bleed the brakes and pray for dry, warmer and sunny weather

DRC INDY 7

posted on 30/3/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just get it mot'd saves all the hassle.

I was in the same boat with mine after the first year on the road, to renew the tax it had to be mot'd

Given that people on here have a lot of problems on this and time spent trying to rectify it, It's easier just to get it mot'd every year.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.