Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: subaru legacy AWD to RWD possible?
monck

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
subaru legacy AWD to RWD possible?

Bit of a odd thing to do but here goes

I best explain WHY i guess , i do abit of banger racing in my spare time on oval tracks so the modification if possible does not have to be road safe.

i normally race honda powered cars 1.6 to 2.0 and put them from injection onto carbs nice and simple so no proplems when the car starts to fold up so not a clue about this ..

Id like to race in a non contact class also and i have been given a third generation Subaru Legacy 1998-2003 (Hence this thread) its only done 98k and is mint apart from no reverse due to gear box trouble basicly due to track rules its fwd or rwd no AWD so is it posible to turn it to Rwd? and if so how.

i take it you cant just remove the front shafts ...

If its not shes going the scrapyard ...

Ryan

[Edited on 1/4/13 by monck]

Slimy38

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Weld the front diff and replace the driveshafts with stub axles?
Ninehigh

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Weld the front diff and replace the driveshafts with stub axles?

Yeah iirc this was done with the 4x4 sierras

Talon Motorsport

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
knock the roll pins out of the front shafts at the box end and pull the CV joints apart on the hub end, pull the back of the gear box off and weld up the little diff at the back. If it takes you more than an hour I'd be surprised.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monck

posted on 1/4/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all ill have a play see how i get on
RK

posted on 1/4/13 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
what's wrong with leaving 4x4? I did some icecross in one once, and loved the handling on the ice. It was as good as the Audi's.
coyoteboy

posted on 1/4/13 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
what's wrong with leaving 4x4? I did some icecross in one once, and loved the handling on the ice. It was as good as the Audi's.

Didn't read the whole post, did you? Me neither until just before I went to reply!

chillis

posted on 2/4/13 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bottom of the range Impreza used to be FWD, and the drift boys manage to convert Impreza's to RWD - since its essentailly the same box I can't see why not though the drift conversion isn't cheap.
Trying to convince the tax man its not AWD could prove to be your biggest hurdle since I'm guessing thats why you want to do it!

[Edited on 2/4/13 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Slimy38

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
Bottom of the range Impreza used to be FWD, and the drift boys manage to convert Impreza's to RWD - since its essentailly the same box I can't see why not though the drift conversion isn't cheap.
Trying to convince the tax man its not AWD could prove to be your biggest hurdle since I'm guessing thats why you want to do it!

[Edited on 2/4/13 by chillis]

Note on the first post the mention of 'not having to be road legal'... I'm guessing that having a proper drift conversion and convincing the tax man both become redundant when the only requirement is to pass scrutineering at a banger race!

Brian R

posted on 2/4/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I converted an Impreza to use on an autotest for a giggle. It worked ok but was a bit lairy!

Don't know if it's the same gearbox but it involves taking the centre diff out of the gearbox, emptying out all the guts, machining off the part that drives the front and fabricating spacers to replace the gears and plates and welding everything together.

After that it's probably an hours work to convert from 4wd to rwd. The front shafts etc all stay in place.

[Edited on 2/4/13 by Brian R]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.