Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Widebody vs Normalbody
Opirun

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Widebody vs Normalbody

Hi all,

I have seen that a number of kit suppliers offer widebody as well as there standard chassis kit. Expectedly the wide bodies are more expensive. Just wondering if there are worth the extra cash. I have sat inside some wide and standard chassis in a stationary kit, but never for long runs or periods of time. Just wondered from the more experienced kitsters what there suggestions and experiences are on this. I would plan to use the kit on the road and track as well as take passengers for a blast in it.

Thanks all.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Most people that buy a wide bodied car need it as they don't fit in the standard chassis. The only limiting factor of how wide a chassis can get is the standard drive shaft lengths or the cost of having custom ones made. There is a cheap way around this and that's to use bolt on CV jointed drive shafts which you can put spacers between and use rims that have near zero off set. Body work would have to be custom made but if you use sheet steel/ali then the rest can be cut'n'shut GRP.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Opirun

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
It is interesting how GBS provide the widebody without actually increasing the width of the track on both widebody and normalbody options. 1720 mm for both.

http://www.greatbritishsportscars.co.uk/Downloads/GBS%20Zero%20Mini%20Brochure%20Main.pdf

Talon Motorsport

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on how wide you want to go and for what reasons.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John P

posted on 2/4/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic but I'm building a McSorley 7+4 and the only fibreglass bodywork supplier was GTS who I would have been reluctant to use anyway.

Now that they've ceased trading any suggestions where I could get a suitable nose cone and scuttle (or other body panels).

coozer

posted on 2/4/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Also the size of the tunnel needs to be taken into consideration..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Zagato

posted on 2/4/13 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am going for a 4.5" SV Caterham wider model with lowered floor because it's a lot more comfortable for touring but mainly because I hit the brake when accelerating in the Series 3 standard width. Changing shoes would ge a PITA each time. If I was mostly racing I would probably go for the standard width though... Think the narrower/standard one's look nicer
rowlocks

posted on 17/5/13 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
With wide body is it easier to find steering racks?
Can you use say MX5 ones without modification?

Macbeast

posted on 17/5/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
@ John P
You could try a pm to Scotty G on here who might ba able to help.
( Just noticed the question was six weeks ago )

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.