Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay idiots
Ninehigh

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay idiots

I'm noticing a lot of people are advertising their cars as zero mileage, or something stupid like 183 ( on a R plate passat estate? Really?) Leaves me wondering if I should contact them and let them remove the advert befote stating it's not as described. Tbh I wonder how many sales would be rejected on that?

T66

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Easy answer is dont touch an idiot advert, I am happy to buy on ebay, but will never sell anything on it again.

Happy to take your money, in all other aspects of customer service, absolutely $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$.

r1_pete

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
The 0 miles I can understand, I think that is the default if you do not fill in that field.

I think you would have to assume 183,000, how many of us actually say thousand when we're talking car milage, if you're interested in the car just drop them a message, I think rejecting sales on such is just adding to the problems with eBay.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Looking for a new car as i am, I see this a lot
Put filtes on so that if mileage is not specifed it ignores them
Likewise if below 10, 000 ignore too.
Reality is tha poassat will be 183000 miles and any with 0 miles, too high to sell!

As said, I try to limit my purchases as from those who have the intelligence to complete a standard form
If they cant, or wont do that, would you risk any money with them?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Slimy38

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Easy answer is dont touch an idiot advert, I am happy to buy on ebay, but will never sell anything on it again.

Happy to take your money, in all other aspects of customer service, absolutely $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$.

The thing is the idiot adverts are where some of the bargains can be had. If someone is daft enough to not put the correct spelling so that it doesn't come up on search results, then it's their own fault if they suddenly find themselves selling their car for 99p...

But I 100% agree about never selling, it just seems absolutely ridiculous the amount of restrictions on a seller and how much in favour of the buyer it is. My wife was telling me about the stars, about if three people give her three stars then her selling options are restricted. When the stars came out I was giving everyone three stars on the basis that the service was 'adequate' IE not exceptional but not poor. I didn't realise I was penalising them for no reason. How can 5 out of 5 be considered 'average', it's just not possible.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
They're doing it so that it comes up when you filter on < 100,000 miles

...which is most frustrating but it does work - I see it all the time when window shopping for the next toy... it drives me nuts !

mkeats02

posted on 3/4/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Traders do that a lot on Autotrader as well.

You often see VW's and Audi's advertised with 10,300 miles when it is 103,000 miles when you read the description

All about getting theirs ads seen.

This Monkey's gone to Heaven

Thruth does not exist, it is only Human Opinion

zilspeed

posted on 3/4/13 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
what annoys me more is traders putting an attention grabbing price in the heading of their advert.

Then when you look at the body of the advert, they reveal the actual price.

If I want to find something up to a certain price, your car at 3 or 4 times that price is not likely to interest me.

Put the real price in the heading. Doing anything else comes across as dishonest.

I most often see this in autotrader.

An example or two. What is the point ?

Passat

BMW

morcus

posted on 3/4/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
That used to really annoy me on auto trader, the reason they do it is the adds are cheaper if the car is below £1000 and if you report them they disapear very quickly. The thing that gets me is they usually have some BS about it being a mistake when you can change it as much as you like and then have the nerve to put no time wasters on the end of the ad.

Biggest problem on Ebay car wise is that every thing has not... infront of it so you end up going through a load of stuff your really not intrested in.

At least its better than the old days where you had to get the paper and phone someone up only to find they'd missed something vital off the ad so you weren't intrested, alot of people don't seem to grasp the importance of what engine and Gearbox a car has.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 3/4/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Price too

2007 JEEP CHEROKEE 2.8 LIMITED CRD BLACK SPORT MANUAL (2007) | eBay
Apparently it's £5750, although I can't see that anywhere... I mean the guy's obviously made a mistake (you are bidding? nope, no bidding on a classified listing) but what problems will it cause when someone pays the penny?

Also what's the point of an advert being seen when it only shows you to be a liar? There's a reason I never use gocompare....

morcus

posted on 3/4/13 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Pay the penny and see what happens. You know you want to...

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 3/4/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I do want to but then I might end up with a jeep!

Maybe Scootz can try it, he can't sell that on for a loss

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.