Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Setting up Go kart steering
sonic

posted on 10/4/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Setting up Go kart steering

Hello all

My son has snapped a trackrod rose joint on his kart,i have just bought a new one to fit and need to set up the toe in / out.

Anybody got any niffty home developed way of doing this without having to buy expensive tools etc

Thank you in advance

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 10/4/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think my brother has got tracking gear for his karts (his son is a budding Lewis Hamilton) and they race.
PM me and ill give you his number

david_hornet27

posted on 10/4/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I can explain this properly but will have a go...

A quick and easy method of getting the front wheels running true is to place a straight edge (I use some left over box tube) across the front of the kart (resting on the king pin bolts) then adjust tie-rod length so the axle part of each stub is parallel with the straight edge. Don't worry if one tie-rod ends up longer than the other. Most karts have the steering column located off centre which calls for uneven length tie-rods.

You ideally need some toe out...

Using a pen or tape mark on each front tyre is a pretty good method to set toe in/out. Simply mark the tyre tread (or put a fine pen mark on some race tape and stick this to the tyre tread) and use a tape measure between the two reference points. Simply revolve the wheel 180 degrees to take the front and rear measurements.

2mm toe out is a pretty good setting (the front measurement 2mm wider than the back measurement).

Hope this helps. Not as accurate as a laser but around £200 cheaper.

[Edited on 10/4/13 by david_hornet27]

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

Fred W B

posted on 10/4/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Why get complicated? I just used to tape two 12" long straight flat bits of materail (bit of aluminium flat or narrow steel rules) across the outsides of the front tyres (they will rest on the rims) and measure over them in front and behind the tyres.

You do have to clamp the steering in the straight ahead condition and so it can't move if you are doing this on your own but thats true of any method.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 10/4/13 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

david_hornet27

posted on 10/4/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Err, how is that less complicated than laying a straight bar across the kingpins and then making a mark on each tyre??

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

tank81

posted on 10/4/13 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Why get complicated? I just used to tape two 12" long straight flat bits of materail (bit of aluminium flat or narrow steel rules) across the outsides of the front tyres (they will rest on the rims) and measure over them in front and behind the tyres.

You do have to clamp the steering in the straight ahead condition and so it can't move if you are doing this on your own but thats true of any method.

Cheers

Fred W B

Fully agree with Fred, we've done this in times of desperation on everything from karts to Sportscars and never had a problem.
You can even check four wheel alignment by the double string line method (one each side front to rear and measure a 3,4,5 triangle to check strings parralell and at 90degrees to chassis...... based on pythagoras principle....as you were shown at school!)...... Even seen BTCC teams do this as quick check.

sonic

posted on 10/4/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your advice guy's, I will try your suggested ideas at the weekend.

Thanks again

Mick

Fred W B

posted on 10/4/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

how is that less complicated than making a mark on each tyre??

- Because you can do it on your own. You can't accurately hold a tape up to a mark on one tyre and also read it on the other tyre, unless it's a very small kart. Even if you have 2 people, asking someone else to help with measuring can introduce errors.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 10/4/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
PS, Mick

quote:

My son has snapped a trackrod rose joint on his kart

If he did this by driving into something you might also want to check the camber (use a spirit level held vertically against the outside of the wheels, best done with the toe set dead parallel), castor (bit more difficult to check) and the wheelbase, comparing them side to side, to see that the frame is not tweaked.

Cheers

Fred W B

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.