On now BBC2 18.30HRS
theconrodkid

posted on 14/4/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
saw the last half,nice attitude ,i hope she does well

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

clanger

posted on 14/4/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
seemed decent enough, good attitude, proffesional outlook..................but thought she was gonna start blubbing at one point when she qualified last........ but can't get that nagging thought out of my mind that its a PR thing for the sponsors/race teams????

like some of the other high profile women drivers out there, they aint exactly fallen from the top of the ugly tree and hit all the branches on the way down..............
wonder if she was a pat butcher lookalike she'd get the same attention (not that Pat could squeeze into the cokpit of a Willaims though??)
glamourous sport, glamorous women, and now glamoros women drivers (never seen such a perfect set of gnashers!!!), sex sells as they say.............and adds to the racing funds no doubt?

[Edited on 14/4/13 by clanger]

[Edited on 14/4/13 by clanger]

tonym

posted on 14/4/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Her career in motor would no doubt have been held back due to her husband owning 16% of Williams and being Executive Director of Mercedes Benz AMG Petronas Motorsport.
scootz

posted on 14/4/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tonym
Her career in motor would no doubt have been held back due to her husband owning 16% of Williams and being Executive Director of Mercedes Benz AMG Petronas Motorsport.

Very unfair. She had already established herself as a serious competitor long before she met her husband.

It's Evolution Baby!

david_hornet27

posted on 14/4/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

This chauvinistic attitude is probably why so few women are involved in motorsport as drivers.

I do quite a bit of karting and I am pleased to say there are some really talented young women involved at junior level and they are as good as anyone else. My friends daughter who is 10 is unbeaten this season...

There is absolutely no reason that a female should not be an elite driver. Unlike football or rugby it is a sport where a womans build is not a disadvantage.

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

Not Anumber

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
+ 1 . I'd encourage my daughters to go into motorsport. As far as I see it encouraging more women into motorsport can only be a good thing as it doubles the pool of competitive drivers which will continue to raise the bar.

I'm not convinced about the concept of women only events like the Rallye de Gazelles though- no criticism at all of this excellent endurance race or the quality of the driving - but I just cant see the point of dividing motorsport by gender when it would otherwise be a level playing field.

scootz

posted on 15/4/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Wish they'd stop putting a mic in front of Stirling...

Ramblings Of An Out-Of-Touch Man

It's Evolution Baby!

Surrey Dave

posted on 15/4/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Connections?

quote:

Many excellent drivers over the years have not been able to get into F1 without cash or connections, so I completely agree with above comments.

And some very average drivers have made it into F1 with the right connections

Damon Hill
Jaques Villeneuve
Bruno Senna
Johnnie Dumfries
Michael Andretti
Ricardo Patrese

To name a few.....................................................

I think every driver in F1 should have been a Champion in another CREDIBLE formula as a minimum requirement for the superlicence.

FazerBob

posted on 15/4/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
quote:

Many excellent drivers over the years have not been able to get into F1 without cash or connections, so I completely agree with above comments.

And some very average drivers have made it into F1 with the right connections

Damon Hill
Jaques Villeneuve
Bruno Senna
Johnnie Dumfries
Michael Andretti
Ricardo Patrese

To name a few.....................................................

I think every driver in F1 should have been a Champion in another CREDIBLE formula as a minimum requirement for the superlicence.

+1 he's right

Bob

Not Anumber

posted on 15/4/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt lump Damon Hill in with those others. Connected yes, average no.

mark chandler

posted on 15/4/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
By virtue of the complexities of modern formula 1 cars reaction times and instinct will only allow the best to compete, money aside it is just to hard today.

Agreed that a lady will gain a huge media following and bring in cash but someone who consistently finishes last will win few friends so unless they are assured of reasonable success the move to F1 will never happen.

She has proven talent, the more ladies promoting any sport the better.

Stirling did himself no favours today unfortunately.

scimjim

posted on 15/4/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
wow - a championship that TOTALLY revolves around money, started BY those with money, FOR those with money, favouring those with money and average ability (relatively speaking) over those with more ability than money

Absolutely no reason why the right women couldn't make it to the top of F1 one day - but it WILL require the kind of money and/or contacts that she has, to break the mould IMHO.

morcus

posted on 15/4/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I missed it, but I feel the same as alot of people and would like to see more women in racing, Virgin tried to bring Danica Patrick to Formula one but she wasn't up for it (though that might be because she didn't want to drive in a third tier team). The marketing value of a woman who was actually scoring points in F1 would be incredible.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.