Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 2ltr pinto.... advice and opinions? bike carbs and upgrades
steveydee

posted on 17/4/13 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
2ltr pinto.... advice and opinions? bike carbs and upgrades

Hi seen good projects and work done here and plenty of people seem to know how to get the best from the pinto engines
my project i'll be starting in the summer is a mk3 capri 1.6 laser.. sorry cant afford a kit car yet.

Its already got a 5 spd box so that is staying. ive bought a 2ltr pinto out of a sierra auto. i have a set of 36mm bike carbs and pump etc on one of my bike in the shed so will be robbing them for the car

And advice on the carbs or a how to? I will be cleaning and checking them before hand

what else should i be looking to do? Its going to be a daily driver.

Dont want to spend too much on the pinto as i want to use a saab turbo in a couple of yrs

cam? Exhaust? Ignition... cheap electronic one?

Thanks steve

FASTdan

posted on 17/4/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
If you need a manifold making (or anything else) relating to the bike carb conversion give me a shout

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Not Anumber

posted on 17/4/13 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I asked the same question on here a while ago and was told the tried and tested way of getting a 30 bhp increase on the standard Pinto without spending a fortune is to use:

A head from an injected Sierra (better shaped port curves as standard without need for modification)
Thinner head gasket and
Kent FR32 cam preferably with a vernier pulley.

Ive decided to stick with a 38/38 downdraught jetted for 2 litre for now but should imaging a nice set of bike carbs could add a bit more

Ive also picked up a megajolt and Edis to replace the standard dizzy thats waiting for a rain free day to go on. That will help with overall driveability and smooth out any lumpiness that the hotter cam could induce.

dave_424

posted on 17/4/13 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a set of 1998 C1 Kawasaki ZX9 carbs that I won't be using, put in new needle valves as the old ones seemed a bit hardened, also new bowl seals. It has aftermarket needles that are adjustable. Also have the ZX9 fuel pump as well.

Dave

DavidW

posted on 17/4/13 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
If you need a manifold making (or anything else) relating to the bike carb conversion give me a shout

He did one for me - it's very good and was reasonably priced.

David

steveydee

posted on 17/4/13 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Very helpful site!!

I was told my engine is unleaded but not had the exhaust manifold off to check (i was told unleaded has egg shaped ports?)

Where is the cheapest place for fr32 cams?
I think megajolt is out of my budget unless a cheap 2nd hand one comes up

would i see much of an improvement with bike carbs over the standard weber?

Thanks for your in put

also this means the 1.6 pinto will be for sale soon was told it had a new cam and belt... runs very well. offers?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.