Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A quick xflow breather question
TomK

posted on 1/5/13 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
A quick xflow breather question

I have read through a load of previous posts and the ways that people advice to plumb up the breather and catch tank system.
The two most popular ways seem to be crankcase to catch can, rocker cover to catch can and a filter on top of the can to let out the vapour, or crankcase to rocker cover, rocker cover to catch can then again filter to breath.
I am going to opt for the latter of the two but just had a quick question. Instead of putting a filter on the catch can isit oOk to just run a pipe down beneath the car so the vapour goes down there? This won't in any way be detrimental or cause a siphoning effect?
I have lots of pipe, no filter and I think the outlets on my catch can would be too close together to fit a filter.
Thanks for your help guys.

phil m

posted on 1/5/13 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Go for second set up ,as you suggest, but pop a filter on top of the catch tank - to avoid possability of any oil being deposited on the road.

phil

TomK

posted on 1/5/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, if that's the case I will have to buy a filter and put a piece of hose going from the catch can to the filter mounted somewhere. Would have preferred not to have had to do that but if it's the best way.
Paul Turner

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Since 1988 my X-Flows and Zetec have all breathed to a bottle, one pipe form the crankcase and one from the rocker/cam cover. The bottle has holes drilled in the top to allow any vapour to escape. I have never fitted a filter. The only way any oil would get onto the road is if the engine was breathing so bad it filled to bottle and a filter on the top would not stop that. Keep it simple, forget the filter, its unecessary.
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 1/5/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
It used to be common practice in the 'old' days for most cars to have the crankcase breather down to the road. In my x-flows and Zetecs in my single seaters I plug the breather hole in the block and have a breather in the rocker/cam cover., then to a catch tank. Burtons do a core plug to blank the x-flow off.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.