Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stoneleigh show this year...
computid

posted on 6/5/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh show this year...

Was it me or did it seem a bit dead compared to previous years? It just seemed like there were less clubs, less cars and certainly less traders.

I think I would have been sorely disappointed if I'd paid to get in. Last year was decidedly busier in comparison.

Slimy38

posted on 6/5/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
And there I was thinking last year was a bit quiet, then again I did go on the Monday...

I was so disappointed to not be going this year, I expected the decent weather to bring out all sorts of hand built masterpieces.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/5/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I went on sunday I thought the clubs where busy and lots of people at the the show but hall 2 had empty spaces and very wide walk ways always the biggest show of the year though so you have too go!!!!!! still enjoyed it and the good weather always helps .
wylliezx9r

posted on 6/5/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I went today for the first time and thought it was brilliant. Couldn't find the locost section unfortunately but bumped into a few people I've talked to on here which was nice.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

MK9R

posted on 6/5/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I was there on Sunday, hall 1 was very busy most of the day, and I thought the number of cars and amount of people outside was very high. Hall 2 did have some bare space and didn't feel as busy, but all in all a good show.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matty78

posted on 6/5/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I wasnt the only one then, been to afew over the last few years and it was quiet in attendance in a sense of clubs and trade stalls.

In the 2 exhibition halls, quite few manufacturers on display though it was spread out quite abit but still alot to see.

The Westfield and lotus seven club seem to have the biggest numbers in attendance and sort of wish i took mine to the show so not to pay but didnt quite workout that way.

Nevermind, a still good show compared to some others on this year.

theduck

posted on 6/5/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly a little quieter in terms of traders this year, club stands seemed busy enough though and good number of people about.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 6/5/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was there on Sunday and thought that the halls were a bit wuiet, but the clubs stands well attended.

We had a good show on the quantum plot and there were a she'd load of Cobras. Quiet on the Luego stand tho

rusty nuts

posted on 6/5/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
There wasn't a lot of cars on the Locost club pitch today, loads of traders missing from previous years
snippy

posted on 6/5/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was able to visit the show both days and overall it was definately quieter which surprised me with the weather being so nice for once. The main halls had less `main stands` with noticeable large gaps all over. General trade stands were down in numbers too. I was shopping for some simple stuff and it just wasn`t there this year. A few of the clubs outside were down in numbers too, my Tiger club had possibly 12 - 15 cars, previous years we have had in excess of 30. The show this year was definately not as good but its local for me so I will still support it.
I did hear someone say that another company have taken over the showground and increased the prices a lot which is possibly why a lot of stands were missing? Don`t know if this is correct though?

T66

posted on 6/5/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Was there last year, when it rained on the Saturday and the weather was pap, and I think it was busier last time. expected more this time with better weather, still enjoyed the wander.

Apart from the knob maitre de in the stoneleigh lodge, him with the chest high pants,segs and the Sgt Major swagger, and the grumpy chef. Dont ever put your toast in the toaster twice, ever.....

I have a confession to make, I snore.....VERY LOUD

I predict a Riot

posted on 6/5/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I am going to air my opinion - risky I know on here but it's got to be said...

IVA is killing the kit car industry. It's effectively a £1000 tax on a finished car.

There is a recession on - has no one noticed. People are keeping what money they have close to their chest.

Stoneleigh - £1.80 for a f***ing cup of tea!!!! £4.80 for a crappy pastie. And absolutely no entertainment going on in the vast but empty main arena. What was there for the family on a day out, just having a look at the scene - nothing! Kids and spouses were not catered for at all.

Sorry if I sound grumpy but I thought it was all a bit - lazy!

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

neilp1

posted on 6/5/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I predict a Riot

IVA is killing the kit car industry. It's effectively a £1000 tax on a finished car.

There is a recession on - has no one noticed. People are keeping what money they have close to their chest.

Stoneleigh - £1.80 for a f***ing cup of tea!!!! £4.80 for a crappy pastie. And absolutely no entertainment going on in the vast but empty main arena. What was there for the family on a day out, just having a look at the scene - nothing! Kids and spouses were not catered for at all.

Missus was with me on sunday and yes nothing for her, just as well she is easy going!

nick-york

posted on 6/5/13 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was there today and was a little disappointed that there seemed less of everything compared to last year despite the fantastic weather..i d love to know why.. Some good suggestions on here.
bigbravedave

posted on 6/5/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I live within walking distance of the show and haven't been for the last few years,

It has been in steady decline sadly, alot of the shows there have been in decline or disappeared sadly

snapper

posted on 7/5/13 at 04:52 AM Reply With Quote
Detling is dead
Exeter to for for me
Newark a shadow of its former self
Stoneleigh was indeed quiet compared with previous years

But for god sake it is the biggest and best show we have
We must support it or that will be the end, we will have no showcase, no annual focus and inspiration

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

EX01

posted on 7/5/13 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
This was my first kit car show I went on the Sunday, I really enjoyed it though as I am looking to purchase I had lots of questions and spent lots of time talking to different clubs and manufactures, I didn’t speak to anyone from on here which I had hoped too .

So I guess I had goals that kept me busy/entertained for the day, though I agree the price of a Bacon butty? £4.80 and I had to buy 3, then a brew each and all of a sudden Breakfast cost £20!!!

If I go again I will be taking a cool box with butties in it for sale and that should cover the cost of the build I have planned in one morning.

The beauty of a build is not the build or the drive when it’s done, it’s the sneaking the funds slowly past the wife as she remains blissfully unaware!

Dick Axtell

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Industrial Decline?

quote:

I also found that there appeared to be less show stands, (some absentee traders), and noticeably increased space between stands, where the organizers evidently spread out those who had turned up. Seemed to be less traders in the cowshed area, also.

Overheard on one main hall stand - "If UK remains in the EU, their increasingly tighter rules regarding the self-build/low volume car industry will kill it off." There were more examples of existing kit producers offering body conversions, thereby side-stepping the IVA, and its associated restrictions.

So this seems to be the way we're going.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Slimy38

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
I did hear someone say that another company have taken over the showground and increased the prices a lot which is possibly why a lot of stands were missing? Don`t know if this is correct though?

I did wonder how it was funded, the kit car owners getting in free must account for a large proportion of people, I can't imagine takings at the gate being anywhere near enough to cover costs. Does that mean the traders have to cover the rest?

big_l

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh there's a lot of negativity in some of these posts

I was there all weekend and really enjoyed everything
Every trader I spoke to said it was there best show for years (sales wise )
(MNR,SVC )

I met loads of new people too wich is always fun

All in alla good show will always be back...

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

Myke 2463

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Detling is dead
Exeter to for for me
Newark a shadow of its former self
Stoneleigh was indeed quiet compared with previous years

But for god sake it is the biggest and best show we have
We must support it or that will be the end, we will have no showcase, no annual focus and inspiration

Very true, send your suggestions to the organizers as we are there customers, without us they don't make money.

Be Lucky Mike.

BATHO

posted on 7/5/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I was there both days had a good weekend and spoke to some great interesting people as always.
The locost pitch was very quite all weekend witch is a shame.....but never the less great show it's all there.....

Irony

posted on 7/5/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think they should start charge a small fee for kitcar owners. I am sure most people wouldn't mind somewhere less than a fiver to keep the show running.
richardm6994

posted on 7/5/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I can only assume that the traders must pay a lot to have a stand at Stoneleigh, and this inevitably increases their selling prices......

I went to Stoneleigh this year with a shopping list of bits.......previously priced up on ebay / tinterweb before I went at just under £200, and pretty much like for like at the show would have cost me £235. I'm not saying that there arn't bargins to be had, but gone are the days when you could get your bits from a show cheaper than anywhere else!!

[Edited on 7/5/13 by richardm6994]

big_wasa

posted on 7/5/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
With you on this. I love making the thing but the cost of the iva against what ever use I will get out of it doesn't add up.

I offered the wife and kids the choice between the show and the beach and it was 4 against none

Parking, Free.
Food, took a pick nick.
Fuel half that of getting to the show.
Extra costs, £6 for an ice-cream each.
Good bank holiday weather, Priceless.

I will try and get to Newark as that's my local show.

quote:

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.