Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: carbon fibre wingstays
metro6r4

posted on 6/5/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
carbon fibre wingstays

i know its ambitious but do you think its possible to build a set of carbon fibre wingstays for my rear wing on the global.The ones that are currently fitted are made of grp with a plywood center.My line of thinking is that if carbon fibre is strong than grp I would need less therefore it may not need a plywood center. So hopefully it could even be a weight savings.
RickRick

posted on 7/5/13 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
its tricky to tell without seeing what your trying to make, but i'd guess the main reason for the plywood is something to form it round to give it a thickness, so maybe some hollow tube or box section ally or plastic could do that part of it, the proper way to do it is with a honeycomb of ally or resin covered paper. as for carbon vs grp, it's stronger but not massivley
britishtrident

posted on 7/5/13 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Not really viable.
Carbon fibre is much stiffer and stronger in tension than glass fibres but is very brittle most items regarded as being made of CF are actually carefully engineered Carbon, Kevlar & Glass composite.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

balidey

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
.My line of thinking is that if carbon fibre is stronger than grp

Very sweeping statement there.
I will make a sweeping statement of my own now.... most carbon fibre products the general public see are cosmetic and have very little (if any) strength increase over a good but of GRP.

You could have a very well designed pre-preg carbon arm that does the job and weighs ounces. But it would cost a fortune. Somone could make a wet lay up carbon fibre one that may be a 'little' bit lighter, maybe a 'bit' stronger. More importantly it could look lighter but also as its in carbon then it will cost more.

I have a bit of experience with GRP (and dabbled in carbon / kevlar etc, both wet lay up and a bit of autoclave work, but not much) and I will say the best thing you can do is start by looking at the design first. No real point just swapping GRP with CF. Seldom does it do anything other than adding cost.
If you want to replace the timber core with a different material then look at foam or honeycomb cores. This along with a grp outer could be lighter, stronger and I would guess cheaper than going to CF.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/5/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
i was going to suggest a foam core, easier-yes, cheaper-yes, just as good-probably
Hope that helps

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

twybrow

posted on 7/5/13 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can you post a photo? Yes, there us a far chance they can be redesigned to make the best use if the materials... But a like for like swap wont make much difference.

A bigger weight saving would come from ditching the plywood for something more appropriate....

Rupturedduck

posted on 10/5/13 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'd speak to Carbonman (Carbon Copies Ltd), he's an expert in CF and will know exactly what will work and be the right weight.

It's not a car. It's an incline assault vehicle.

twybrow

posted on 10/5/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rupturedduck
I'd speak to Carbonman (Carbon Copies Ltd), he's an expert in CF and will know exactly what will work and be the right weight.

Just so you know, I also do it for a living...! There are a few of us on LCB with quite a few years experience designing and manufacturing in composites! I am happy to help, but as requested, I would at least need a photo to guide me!

Rupturedduck

posted on 10/5/13 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by Rupturedduck

Just so you know, I also do it for a living...! There are a few of us on LCB with quite a few years experience designing and manufacturing in composites! I am happy to help, but as requested, I would at least need a photo to guide me!

Sorry twybrow, I did not intend to tred on any toes!

It's not a car. It's an incline assault vehicle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.