Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engraving tool?
jps

posted on 11/5/13 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
engraving tool?

having never bought one before, could someone point me in the direction of an appropriate tool to engrave the vin into a chasis rail/ or a metal plate?

I've seen some engraving tools on ebay fo r under 20 quid but that doesn't seem reassuringly expensive enough, on the other hand over 100 for a dremel and attachments ( as seen in b and q) seems quite a lot if I only use it to mark the vin!

[Edited on 11/5/13 by jps]

Coopz

posted on 11/5/13 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I used one of these, however not the easiest thing to do. I would suggest spend a little bit more and get the £29.99 kit as this includes a diamond engraving point, which is a lot better than the carbide one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-F0130290JF-Engraver/dp/B000QGHR1I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368254086&sr=8-2&keywords=dremel+engraver

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-F0130290JK-Hobby-Engraver/dp/B002LARRRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368254528&sr=8-1&keywords=dremel+engraver r />

[Edited on 11/5/13 by Coopz]

nick205

posted on 11/5/13 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
A set of punches is cheaper and IMHO easier to get better results with.

Note that a vin plate must be permanently attached to the chassis. Riveting it on is likely to fail, better to weld on.

mark chandler

posted on 11/5/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Punches are much better, or get an engraving shop to make a couple in steel and just tack weld in place.
Peteff

posted on 11/5/13 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I use a cheap Aldi Dremel copy with a small burr for marking but as above letter punches are easier and more permanent. I cut a strip of 16g and stamp then weld onto the chassis tube. One thing I find is start at the end and work backwards, it's easier to keep the stamps in line and evenly spaced.

[Edited on 11/5/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

designer

posted on 11/5/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Punches every time.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 11/5/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
IMO punches are better if stamping a VIN plate then welding to the chassis, but if stamping directly into the chassis they just dent the chassis and fail to punch the letter/number clearly, an engraver does a far neater job.
40inches

posted on 11/5/13 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I got a £5 battery one from Lidl, has a diamond tip and worked well.
Description
Description

Litemoth

posted on 11/5/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Key makers and dog tag type places in the market will have a pantograph "Gravograph" type machine to do it neatly. How may times will you use an engraver after buying one for this??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.