Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New mobile Paypal credit card machine
Jasper

posted on 13/5/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
New mobile Paypal credit card machine

For those of you who run a small business and have to take credit cards away from a landline, Paypal are introducing a new gadget that works with smart phones, so there'll be no need for expensive monthly rentals of the existing mobile machines that we've had to use up till now. I believe there's still testing them at the moment with traders in Shoreditch market, then rolling them out later in the summer:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

Even with the extra Paypal charges it's got to be cheaper than renting those terminals.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Slimy38

posted on 13/5/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I saw those on a BBC news report, talk about hitting an untapped market. They were saying that the costs are a tiny fraction of a typical Barclays terminal.

I would be very wary about security though, both as a trader and a customer.

Bluemoon

posted on 13/5/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Yep, as a customer I would be suspicious of sad device o.k. if you know the small company personally other wise it might put the customer off... If paypal made the keypad bit look like a normal terminal all would be fine...

Dan

FASTdan

posted on 13/5/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I saw those on a BBC news report, talk about hitting an untapped market. They were saying that the costs are a tiny fraction of a typical Barclays terminal.

Not quite an untapped market.....

izettle

Infact, unusually paypal seem to be some way behind as looking at the link some quite fundamental information hasn't even been firmed up yet, let alone device availability.

I have an izettle - purely for use at shows and I have to say its fantastic. As has been said it completely blows traditional terminals out of the water, especially for a small time user like me who only wants it for a few shows a year - for whom monthly rental is completely out of the question.

1-off payment of £50, job done. Think they're £100 now though as the price I paid was an introductory offer. 2.75% transaction fee which is pretty much inline with any other similar device.

Gotta love technology sticking it to the big money grabbing corporates (sage, streamline etc) :-)

[Edited on 13/5/13 by FASTdan]

[Edited on 13/5/13 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jasper

posted on 13/5/13 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, that looks good, first I've heard of it, strange how it's not got the news coverage that the Paypal one is getting and it's already out there and working. We do about 6 shows a year so this will be really useful, cheers.

Actually I remember it on the BBC News web site last year, but they were still having trouble with Visa, looks like it's sorted now.

And just ordered one, thanks mate looks really good

[Edited on 13/5/13 by Jasper]

FASTdan

posted on 13/5/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Ahh, that looks good, first I've heard of it, strange how it's not got the news coverage that the Paypal one is getting and it's already out there and working. We do about 6 shows a year so this will be really useful, cheers.

Actually I remember it on the BBC News web site last year, but they were still having trouble with Visa, looks like it's sorted now.

And just ordered one, thanks mate looks really good

[Edited on 13/5/13 by Jasper]

No problem. Yes they sorted the visa thing - I think initially they had some workaround but now it's just like any other. Mine did take about 3 weeks to arrive, not sure what they quote for delivery time or why it took so long (possibly teething issues in the supply chain as it was quite new).

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 13/5/13 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan

Not quite an untapped market.....

izettle

Infact, unusually paypal seem to be some way behind as looking at the link some quite fundamental information hasn't even been firmed up yet, let alone device availability.

I have an izettle - purely for use at shows and I have to say its fantastic. As has been said it completely blows traditional terminals out of the water, especially for a small time user like me who only wants it for a few shows a year - for whom monthly rental is completely out of the question.

1-off payment of £50, job done. Think they're £100 now though as the price I paid was an introductory offer. 2.75% transaction fee which is pretty much inline with any other similar device.

Gotta love technology sticking it to the big money grabbing corporates (sage, streamline etc) :-)

Wow, the amount of fuss Paypal and the BBC were making it was like they were breaking new ground with only BMS to get in their way. I have to agree with Jasper, very strange news coverage.

FASTdan

posted on 13/5/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Wow, the amount of fuss Paypal and the BBC were making it was like they were breaking new ground with only BMS to get in their way. I have to agree with Jasper, very strange news coverage.

Who knows......probably all revolves around the big players and who's in bed with who

I heard that the EU blocked 'Google Wallet' (another wireless tap-to-pay system) initially and only now have allowed it - again probably all down to who stands to loose out by the introduction of new accessible payment systems.

Wadders

posted on 13/5/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Iv'e had something similar from Worldpay for ages, works a treat, no monthly or upfront charges, 65p for a debit card transaction,
credit card charges are a bit steep at 3.3%, but i just pass it on to the customer after explaining the additional cost. You have options to send them an email or txt msg receipt.

Al.

[Edited on 13/5/13 by Wadders]

Jasper

posted on 14/5/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

No problem. Yes they sorted the visa thing - I think initially they had some workaround but now it's just like any other. Mine did take about 3 weeks to arrive, not sure what they quote for delivery time or why it took so long (possibly teething issues in the supply chain as it was quite new).

They are quoting 1-2 week delivery, no rush though as our shows don't start again till September

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.