Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearbox whine!
40inches

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Gearbox whine!

Popped out today, the first time without a helmet. BLOODY HELL are ZX9R gearboxes supposed to be that noisy???????

aka Keith

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
It is always a bit disconcerting, isn't it.

Most of my thousands of miles have been done with the lid on, so when the occasion arises to move the car without helmet on, I still flinch.

[Edited on 29/5/13 by aka Keith]

40inches

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka Keith
It is always a bit disconcerting, isn't it.

Most of my thousands of miles have been done with the lid on, so when the occasion arises to move the car without helmet on, I still flinch.

[Edited on 29/5/13 by aka Keith]

It's surprising how much noise the lid stops. I can cancel the strip down and rebuild now then?
I assume the noise is magnified inside the car, doesn't sound that bad when you hear a bike pulling away.

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
doesn't sound that bad when you hear a bike pulling away.

The bike probably only weighs about 160-170kgs

Aaron

Work to Live don't Live to Work

40inches

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_n_Sim
doesn't sound that bad when you hear a bike pulling away.

The bike probably only weighs about 160-170kgs

Aaron

My thoughts exactly, approx 3 times that in a car. Still a bit of a surprise though, I thought I had kernacked the gearbox

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's reasons like this that makes me dubious, I have a blade engine and a pinto, still not sure what to use!

adithorp

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
If it's solid mounted then yes it'll be noisey. All the ally panels amplify it as well which is why it sounds worse than a bike.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

adithorp

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
It's reasons like this that makes me dubious, I have a blade engine and a pinto, still not sure what to use!

You won't get vibration from the Pinto... it hasn't got enough power to move the car and shake it at the same time.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

40inches

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't get me wrong, the noise isn't unpleasant,normal dog box noise I assume, and with a lid on you can't hear it.
My last kit had a Pinto, no comparison to a bike engine, the tractability of the bike engine has amazed me, it will poodle along at 30 in 6th, 2up with no problem, drop 2 gears and the acceleration is more than acceptable, drop down to 2nd and make sure you are pointing in the direction you want to go, then pull the trigger
Pinto or Blade? no contest

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

You won't get vibration from the Pinto... it hasn't got enough power to move the car and shake it at the same time.

It hauled the Capri it was in passed all our speed limits comfortably, ported n polished, full Kent kit, in a car as light as one of these it should still push it along well enough & shouldn't have to worry to much about collecting points!!

Thanks for the input

twybrow

posted on 29/5/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

It hauled the Capri it was in passed all our speed limits comfortably, ported n polished, full Kent kit, in a car as light as one of these it should still push it along well enough & shouldn't have to worry to much about collecting points!!

Thanks for the input

But you will have to worry about the cost and effort of ripping out the boat anchor and putting in the bike engine when you realise you made a horrible mistake!

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

But you will have to worry about the cost and effort of ripping out the boat anchor and putting in the bike engine when you realise you made a horrible mistake!

No decision made as yet, to be honest would rather a yank tank in it! After posting a thread I found a guy locally who's going down the exact route I wanted to take, he's a lot more experienced than me so gonna see how he gets on and then make a decision!

The blade engine can always go back in a bike frame

twybrow

posted on 29/5/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

No decision made as yet, to be honest would rather a yank tank in it! After posting a thread I found a guy locally who's going down the exact route I wanted to take, he's a lot more experienced than me so gonna see how he gets on and then make a decision!

Go out for a spin in oth types of car, then make up your mind. These are light weight cars designed to handle extremely well, therefore they suit a lightweight engine choice - be it from a bike or a car. Don't limit the handling by using a bloated and out dated engine choice - fit the right engine first time!

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Go out for a spin in oth types of car, then make up your mind. These are light weight cars designed to handle extremely well, therefore they suit a lightweight engine choice - be it from a bike or a car. Don't limit the handling by using a bloated and out dated engine choice - fit the right engine first time!

That's exactly why I haven't just thrown something in it yet & why I joined these forums, measure twice cut once mentality, if you're ever coming my way your welcome to take me out to convince me!

Thanks

Aaron

twybrow

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Farnham.... Hmm - I might be! You are welcome to come down to Southampton. I am always happy to take someone out for a blast!
Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Farnham.... Hmm - I might be! You are welcome to come down to Southampton. I am always happy to take someone out for a blast!

Sounds like a plan!! Definitely have to sort something out!

Thanks

Aaron

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I'll be putting mine back on the road in the next couple of months so I can try my hand at sprinting and autosolo's pretty sure the humble blade power will sink any plans for CEC for out and out performance, just up the road in Tadley

All offers appreciated, which model engine and chassis are you using, you've got a repsol with 2 wheels too haven't you

Aaron

mark chandler

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be putting mine back on the road for sprints and autosolo's later this year, just up the road from you in Tadley, humble blade power will shame a pinto in performance stakes, albeit mine has a few tweaks
Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I'll be putting mine back on the road for sprints and autosolo's later this year, just up the road from you in Tadley, humble blade power will shame a pinto in performance stakes, albeit mine has a few tweaks

I've got 974 big bore engine to collect Monday

mark chandler

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
The poor old blade got sold last year for £950, got myself a XT600 to scratch the bike itch a couple of weeks ago.

Sports bikes were going to hurt me badly so got out before breaking something.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.