Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lotus 7 Hardtop
tims31

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus 7 Hardtop

Not sure who saw this at Stoneleigh this year but I must have misssed it. Anyhow, this was in my local free paper the other day and thought it may be of some interest to others on here.

It was certainly an idea I was planning on looking at for the Fury once I have completed my kit.

Lotus 7 Hardtop

And his own site

7 Hardtop
7 Hardtop

As he is apparently local to me I may give him a shout and take a closer look, maybe see if he would be interested in developing a version for the Fury?

Did anyone see this at Stoneleigh?

[Edited on 30/5/13 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

whitestu

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
That looks excellent! It would certainly make my car a lot more useable. I wonder what the cost will be and how adaptable it will be to the different types.

Stu

tims31

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Yep that's what I was wondering. Now the basic concept is there it should be fairly easily adapted to similar chassis once you have taken a mold.

I will probably give him a call and see if he has any interest in developing for other chassis

DIY Si

posted on 30/5/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
How small would you have to be to actually use it though? At 6'3", there's no way I'd get all of me into the car.

It is a good idea though for those that are ale to use it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

loggyboy

posted on 30/5/13 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
shame about the fixed radius of the rear screen, would have been much nice to do a compond curve that gave it a more 'coupe' look.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 30/5/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
How small would you have to be to actually use it though? At 6'3", there's no way I'd get all of me into the car.

The fact that it's a gull wing door suggests it wouldn't be too bad, although if your head already extends above the top of your screen then you're just too tall...

tims31

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I will certainly be looking at doing something similar to this, at 5' 10" I should be ok and hopefully be able to keep a straightish line between the screen top and just above the roll hoop. So long as it ends up looking something a bit nicer than the current Fury hardtop which is just sooooooo ugly

Rescued attachment 2003-06-07 Fisher Sportscars open day.JPG
Rescued attachment 2003-06-07 Fisher Sportscars open day.JPG

ChrisLeary

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the car at stoneleigh. It looks fantastic. The guy explained that it was his own car and it started as a one off, but with the interest he had before the show and depending on interest at the show he would possibly start producing them.

Don't take this as gospel, but I seem to remember a ball park figure of around £3000 if it did go into production.

I asked the question as to what road and wind noise was like inside, and he said cruising its exactly like a tin top.

Like I said though, it was a fanatic looking car, and all removable too.

Regards,
Chris.

[Edited on 30/5/13 by ChrisLeary]

Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer...

Slimy38

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's taken me several hours, but I've just realised why that hard top looks good.... it's reminiscent of the Donkervoort, at least while the doors are closed.

3K is a bit steep though, I was hoping to build most of the rest of the car for that!

Andy S

posted on 30/5/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Especially when the car is so close to the Ginetta G4 - You would think a moulding along similar lines would be easy to take design idea's from and produce something worthy. I always thought the G27 deserved a Daytona Coupe style offering - I went the other way and chopped the screen off - far less work.

quote:
Originally posted by tims31
I will certainly be looking at doing something similar to this, at 5' 10" I should be ok and hopefully be able to keep a straightish line between the screen top and just above the roll hoop. So long as it ends up looking something a bit nicer than the current Fury hardtop which is just sooooooo ugly

rx7locost

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a real nice professional job. Kudos to the builder. Although not as complete as the one shown, I was told about this other hardtop last year. http://koizumi-factory.jp/flyingtop_2.html It is from Japan(obviously). It is just under £1,000 for the one without the sunroof. I liked it and built a similar one for my Locost for a couple hundred USD. My primary focus was to keep the sun off my head on loooooong drives. Description
Description
A video of it functioning can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5LKLtJyqM

If you are good with fiberglass, it makes a nice project. I am currently (slowly) working on fiberglass half-doors. You guys have a bit more weather to keep out of your cars than we do over here in the USA.

tims31

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy S
Especially when the car is so close to the Ginetta G4 - You would think a moulding along similar lines would be easy to take design idea's from and produce something worthy. I always thought the G27 deserved a Daytona Coupe style offering - I went the other way and chopped the screen off - far less work.

quote:
Originally posted by tims31

Yep, I know what you mean. The Ginetta is very similar and the top would look great on the Fury. I went for the Fury so I could add a hard top if I wanted to and be able to drive the car as often as possible, if I am spending the money on it I want to be able to drive it regularly. I hear of so many people on here saying that they spend so much money on taxing and insuring the car and then get very little good weather to actually drive their cars and is such a shame after the countless hours put in the build.

perksy

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Most cars are unique dimensionally with regards the body and the screen etc, so how would they be produced
to fit correctly ?
Or would this chap be making them tailored to individual cars ?

I doubt there's any market at 3k tbh, Thats a lot of money for engine/suspension upgrades

dickie b

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Count me in for a Fury Hardtop !

Agree that the standard effort if awful.. but with a bit of design flair (and bringing it sloping back to the tail end) it could work great along the lines of a GT6.. though roll bar height may stuff the visual lines of the thing.

whitestu

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
doubt there's any market at 3k tbh, Thats a lot of money for engine/suspension upgrades

Indeed! My kit cost less than that!

Stu

twybrow

posted on 31/5/13 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone ready the website of the chap with the hardtop? He talks several times of having intellectual property protection for this hardtop.... How the hell can you patent a hard top for a 7? There have been plenty of variations over they years, so prior art is well established. I can appreciate he doesn't want someone coming and taking a mould from his car, but I don't see you can stop anyone else building their own version of it, which is what it insinuates.
Carbonman

posted on 31/5/13 at 04:24 AM Reply With Quote
Intellectual Property Rights and Patents are not the same thing. Property Rights are automatic when you design a product and can cover the "look" or "appearance" of a product. Not worth anything really. Patents need to be applied for and cover totally unique design ideas not previously registered, like a type of hinge or catch. The process can take years to be awarded (if ever) hence why many Patents are actually Patents Pending.

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
iank

posted on 31/5/13 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rx7locost
That looks like a real nice professional job. Kudos to the builder. Although not as complete as the one shown, I was told about this other hardtop last year. http://koizumi-factory.jp/flyingtop_2.html It is from Japan(obviously). It is just under £1,000 for the one without the sunroof. I liked it and built a similar one for my Locost for a couple hundred USD. My primary focus was to keep the sun off my head on loooooong drives. Description
Description
A video of it functioning can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5LKLtJyqM

If you are good with fiberglass, it makes a nice project. I am currently (slowly) working on fiberglass half-doors. You guys have a bit more weather to keep out of your cars than we do over here in the USA.

Nice job, like a solid version of a bikini style top.

[Edited on 31/5/13 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 31/5/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I really like the look, but He's not done anything new, found this thread via google, so any one making themselves a hardtop isn't stealing the guys idea, it would appear it's not his idea!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=126286

Work to Live don't Live to Work

DIY Si

posted on 31/5/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si

The fact that it's a gull wing door suggests it wouldn't be too bad, although if your head already extends above the top of your screen then you're just too tall...

Not by much, but on my old Indy the top of my helmet was at roll bar height. Almost every 7 I've been in put my eyes at just below the top of the screen.

Either way though, for £3k he can jog on. As has been said, that's a lot of upgrades!!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

twybrow

posted on 31/5/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carbonman
Intellectual Property Rights and Patents are not the same thing. Property Rights are automatic when you design a product and can cover the "look" or "appearance" of a product. Not worth anything really. Patents need to be applied for and cover totally unique design ideas not previously registered, like a type of hinge or catch. The process can take years to be awarded (if ever) hence why many Patents are actually Patents Pending.

It was his use of the phrase "granted Intellectual Property Patent Office Design Rights" - that confused me...! I have a patent for carbon fibre spar production , so I know how hard they can be, but his terminology threw me! So not worth a great deal of protection then, unless you steal his tools!

[Edited on 31/5/13 by twybrow]

Not Anumber

posted on 31/5/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Its a nice looking roof and if he had offered to make some for others for athe cost of the materials plus a couple of hundred quid for his time then I'd say he was a great bloke and was doing a service to the car building community.

Frankly though suggesting it's worth £ 3k and getting all prissy about intellectual copyright - I wouldnt give the guy a bag of toenail clippings. He needs to get real.

Mistron

posted on 31/5/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
what he will likely have is a registered design with the intelectual property office, which offers protection from anyone else making a visually similar product. It does not cover inovative properties as a patent does.

I previously held both a patent AND registered design cover for a shopping trolley design (both since lapsed due to the sad state of manufacturing in the UK.......)

It is possible to get a patent application through the system without the use of a patent lawyer, but it is a tricky system to negotiate, and you need to be very clear what the innovative steps are in your product. You'd not really be able to get a patent application granted for such a product as none of the key features are innovative steps. People have been putting hardtops on 7 type cars since the 50s/60s, and 'gull wing' doors of that type have been similarly used before (I helped build just such a roof for an Elise in the mid '90s)

I think it's probably very hard (Impossible) to effectively protect such a roof design with a registered design either. All a competitor needs to do to get round his protection would be make it look different - shape, glazing profile etc

Good effort by the chap, but it isn't worth £3k of anybody's money. the costs of defending any infringements would also be high, should he want to enforce any IPO granted protection.

I am working on a van roof rack safety system design (Patent pending) and would love to think anyone would pay a fortune to reflect the effort put in, but sadly, that's not how it works.......

Al

Carbonman

posted on 31/5/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mistron
what he will likely have is a registered design with the intelectual property office, which offers protection from anyone else making a visually similar product. It does not cover inovative properties as a patent does.

I previously held both a patent AND registered design cover for a shopping trolley design (both since lapsed due to the sad state of manufacturing in the UK.......)

It is possible to get a patent application through the system without the use of a patent lawyer, but it is a tricky system to negotiate, and you need to be very clear what the innovative steps are in your product. You'd not really be able to get a patent application granted for such a product as none of the key features are innovative steps. People have been putting hardtops on 7 type cars since the 50s/60s, and 'gull wing' doors of that type have been similarly used before (I helped build just such a roof for an Elise in the mid '90s)

I think it's probably very hard (Impossible) to effectively protect such a roof design with a registered design either. All a competitor needs to do to get round his protection would be make it look different - shape, glazing profile etc

Good effort by the chap, but it isn't worth £3k of anybody's money. the costs of defending any infringements would also be high, should he want to enforce any IPO granted protection.

I am working on a van roof rack safety system design (Patent pending) and would love to think anyone would pay a fortune to reflect the effort put in, but sadly, that's not how it works.......

Al

Having had 3 Patents approved and all three subsequently copied I am afraid that I have lost all faith in the supposed protection of a Patent. Unless you have BIG BUCKS (which I dont) to fight such infringements through the courts then a Patent offers very little protection for your hard work. Unfortunately some people/companies see the cost of Patent infringement as cheap R&D. Some people may now see the irony in my chosen company name

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mistron

posted on 31/5/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed.

I don't have the resources to go into production myself and so have been exploring the options of selling the paent or licensing it. To do that you have to offer the info to the market leaders in the full knowledge that they will perhaps think "ah, he's just a little guy, we can aford to beat him in court if he can aford to take us that far"

But it's all the protection available to 'the little guy' and there remains the hope that a) you happen to fall in with a decent backer, or b) you manage to get something by way of out of court settlement, or c) you then go to their competitor and offer it to them with the USP that by having the IP they can stop their competitor selling the product and get the advantage

To think we were the cradle of the industrial revolution.........

www.facebook.com/VehicleEdgeProtectionSystem

[Edited on 31/5/13 by Mistron]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.