Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Clocks to something New
brettski470

posted on 30/5/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Clocks to something New

Hi,

I am a new Locost Owner with a long shopping list ahead of me.......

My new purchase has Ford Sierra clocks in their original mounting which to be honest look terrible but still work. They comprise of speedo, Tac, Fuel and Water Temp, plus the usual lighting, indicators etc.

I want to replace them for individual gauges etc but wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice in terms of which gauges to go with that won't need me to do loads of re-wiring.

I am not a fan of the digital dash options so am looking for the more classic look.

Thanks

Newbie Builder

Not Anumber

posted on 30/5/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Welcme to the forum Brettski.

If you dont want to go the digi dash route you could either dress up the existing Sierra unit with a faceplate to make it look like seperate dials or you could replace with something like a set of Smiths dials depending on what you want to spend.

One of the members, Stot, on here recently did a remarkable job with instruments from an MX5. It looked very labour intensive getting the graphics right and inverting the innards of some of the instruments but the end result looked excellent and he was able to use the dash conectors etc.

Have you got some pictures of your dash you could upload to your photo archive on here ?

Whn you refer to your new purchase, have you bought a Locost or a donor car ?

britishtrident

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
McGill Motorsport on ebay usually have some good bundle deals on 52mm dials which should suit a Locust dash.

Link tp McGill ebay shop.

[Edited on 30/5/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

robinj66

posted on 30/5/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Worth having a look at ETB
brettski470

posted on 30/5/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome, I have recently purchased a Locost pre built requiring some work.

Mechanically the car is in excellent condition however it required some tidying when it comes to the Aesthetics/

I have added a picture of the dash on the archive and will add some of the exterior when I get chance to download them off my camera.

In terms of dials definately do not want the digital style so looking for the classic look.

I have looked at both the links provided and they seem like that are a good place to start. Are there any that I should definately avoid i.e Durite as have seen they offer a fuel gauge and sender unit as a package as Mine seems to have given up.

Thanks in advance

Newbie Builder

britishtrident

posted on 30/5/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
These might be worth a look ebay item 190847064584

The other budget gauges are TIM

Locost or Locust ? --- there is very big difference in the way they are constructed.

[Edited on 30/5/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

brettski470

posted on 30/5/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I will have a look at the Ebay item and will do some investigation on the TIM Gauges.

I have doing some reading on Fuel senders from the ETB website and think I will need to put the multimeter on the sender unit to understand the ohm output to ascertain which Gauge I am going to need. However I may also look at replacing the sender unit as this may make life more simple.

Definately have a Locost.

Newbie Builder

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.