Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rebuilding Sierra Driveshafts
benners05

posted on 3/6/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Rebuilding Sierra Driveshafts

Hi all.

I am in the process of stripping down a set of push in (non lobro) driveshafts and have got to the part where the Haynes manual says to cut through the metal casing that houses the tripod joint (the large diameter end of the outer boot also clips to this)

Before I destroy it does anyone know where I can get replacements from, I've had a look on eBay but can't see any.

Any help appreciated!!

Ben

benners05

posted on 3/6/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/gallery/sierra%20driveshaft.jpg

It is the 2 pieces where the large bit of the boots fit!

Thanks

Ben

matt_gsxr

posted on 3/6/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
try local ford dealer first. Normally about £10 a boot.
adithorp

posted on 3/6/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
You have to cut the "tin-can!" around the outer part of the joint.There is a way to get them off but it'll take a lot of paitience and practice before you get one off in good enough condition to go back... so don't bother.

There are 2 sizes of can. 77mm outide diameter and 70mm. Ford Part number 1058426 (smaller) 1058427 (larger). Ford dealers can get themfor you (but not a stock item anymore) or Steve at Fury Sportscars keeps them in (01580713777).

This is the 77mm one...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

benners05

posted on 3/6/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!! They are way too rusty to bother repairing I'll measure them up later and get some new ones bought..

Will have a shiny new set of driveshafts in no time!

Ben

nick205

posted on 3/6/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I found my local Ford parts counter surprisingly helpful and inexpensive for a number of parts including these cans and the rubber boots. Telling the salesman what I was using them for helped as he was a fellow petrol head and keen to see the finished car.

A couple of tips....

1. When cutting the old ones of, be careful not to damage the mating face of the joint, particularly where the sealing O ring sits at the outer end of the can.

2. Make sure you get and fit new O rings (can't recall whether they come with the can or need ordering separately)

3. You have to re-swage the ends of the new cans over the end of the joint. Take it slow and steady and make sure the joint is compressed. It's a bit fiddle, but not that difficult.

You should end up with something like this...

benners05

posted on 13/3/14 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'm back to the drive shafts (after fitting the engine and trying to figure out injection wiring for the first time!!) and am having some issues with the can sizes.

The cans have got an OD of 77mm and an ID of 75mm and the cup has an OD of 78.5mm which seems a lot to stretch over.

Does anyone know if I've got the correct bits?!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.