Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: isnt it amazing that....
DarrenW

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
isnt it amazing that....

...... there are over twice as many guests as members watching this forum right now
?

Is that a good thing?

join up chaps and chappesses.

[Edited on 3/6/13 by DarrenW]

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
That's good for a forum tbh most other ones I'm on are almost all non members or no post for days or no replys to posts at all. This is one of the busiest forums I know, and one of the friendliest too, there's little I think needs changing
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
What's really bizarre is the sheer number of members that are joining every day with random user names - seems like 200+ already today

Can't be real...

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

DarrenW

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Its a great site and yes, you are right nothing really needs to be changed.

Lest hope the new members are real people......... that would make a change

I wonder what Chris' vision was when he started the site?

MsD

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
What's really bizarre is the sheer number of members that are joining every day with random user names - seems like 200+ already today

Can't be real...

Don't people just join with a stupid username to try and gain access to the wealth of information on here? Or to try and access new for sale (bargain) parts?

Most people I know that are into cars have spent time browsing this forum for info. You just need to search for something car related in google and LCB normally pops up!
Mark.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Can't be real...

Yikes there's 1447 pages of member names coming up on my ipad! That's over 36,000 names this is such a popular forum

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 3/6/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Can't be real...

Yikes there's 1447 pages of member names coming up on my ipad! That's over 36,000 names this is such a popular forum

We are all celebrities and didnt even know it!!!!!!

The Only Way is locost ( TOWIL )

trikerneil

posted on 4/6/13 at 04:44 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the "guests" might be search engine bots indexing pages.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

snapper

posted on 4/6/13 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
A note of caution
The Robin Hood owners club started an aggressive campaign of membership removing posts, denying access to certain areas and spammi g posts with
"If you become a member you would get......."
Put me off rejoining, I prefer to feel at home whilst a guest then join as I have here
I prefer this forum now to others
That said if membership money got to short to support the site infrastructure I to would encourage membership

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Alfa145

posted on 4/6/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
A note of caution
The Robin Hood owners club started an aggressive campaign of membership removing posts, denying access to certain areas...

A lot of forums do this, Locostbuilders included eg: For sale access is denied if you haven't coughed up. Similar rules on RHOCaR and even worse on Westfield where you can't even do a search or make a post unless you cough up, and the same on many, many forums out there.

It all depends on your term of aggressive, the nag screens you get on here if you don't pay could be classed as aggressive.

At the end of the day if people wish to pay they will pay, if not then that's their choice but all clubs/forums need funds and if no one joined and paid up then non of these clubs would exist and as such non of all this wonderful information would be available to me and you.

[Edited on 4/6/13 by Alfa145]

kj

posted on 4/6/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if some people have more than one user name for some reason.
Its more to do with the best forum ever anything you need to know this is the place.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Bluemoon

posted on 4/6/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

I wonder what Chris' vision was when he started the site?

Help to finish car (locost)! I think this evolved since as Chris is very much a petrol head..

[Edited on 4/6/13 by Bluemoon]

Slimy38

posted on 4/6/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
A note of caution
The Robin Hood owners club started an aggressive campaign of membership removing posts, denying access to certain areas...

A lot of forums do this, Locostbuilders included eg: For sale access is denied if you haven't coughed up. Similar rules on RHOCaR and even worse on Westfield where you can't even do a search or make a post unless you cough up, and the same on many, many forums out there.

It all depends on your term of aggressive, the nag screens you get on here if you don't pay could be classed as aggressive.

At the end of the day if people wish to pay they will pay, if not then that's their choice but all clubs/forums need funds and if no one joined and paid up then non of these clubs would exist and as such non of all this wonderful information would be available to me and you.

[Edited on 4/6/13 by Alfa145]

To be honest, I'm happy with the balance on here. I think restricting the for sale section is spot on, it means that the generosity of members stays with the members, and people who just 'fish' for bargains get the leftovers. And the nag screens are infrequent enough to be a gentle reminder rather than a pain in the backside.

I've been on other forums where they've had to actually close the for sale section and wanted sections purely because of temporary users who are more interested in scamming someone than actually closing a deal.

I think limiting a search to only members is a tad unfair (not this site but as you say the Westfield site), although it does get to a point where a website is a victim of it's own success and breaks under the load of people searching for answers.

wilkingj

posted on 4/6/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
And what a timely reminder for me to make a donation to this site.

Chris needs our support and I think its worth a donation every now and then, even though I have sold my Viento.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

mcerd1

posted on 4/6/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think limiting a search to only members is a tad unfair (not this site but as you say the Westfield site)

agreed

besides it doesn't stop you using google to search the site anyway

[Edited on 4/6/2013 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.