Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problem fitting dunnel sump ???
monck

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Problem fitting dunnel sump ???

Hi all i bought a dunnel sump second hand it was of a silvertop zetec motor i am fitting it to a blacktop (st170) i have installed a wind-age tray with spacers ect

However the pick up pipe does not fit and it seems that where the pick up pipe bolts on a blacktop has a ever so slightly different angle ..

I do remember reading something about someone who had the same trouble ages ago but cant find it now to get the solution to the problem

Is the easiest thing is to modify the pick up pipe for the slightly different angle ?

Im abit worried about finding someone to do the modifications to the pick up pipe

Thanks

big-vee-twin

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
My Dunnel sump was supplied with a new pick up pipe, admitedly for a Duratec but perhaps they do the same for the Zetec.

Give Paul (Dunnel) a ring they maybe able to supply one.

[Edited on 9/6/13 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

austin man

posted on 9/6/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt thing the black top and silvertop were interchangeable

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

acafrao

posted on 9/6/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
If it is not Interchangeable and you consider selling it, I am very interested!

Just send me a u2u!

Thanks

Paul Turner

posted on 10/6/13 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Got a Dunnell Silvertop sump on my Blacktop, been on for 4 years now, no problems.

Had to buy the spacer kit from Scholar to fit the windage tray, at £15 a bargain.

The pickup does not fit without some simple mods. The bolt holes need slotting to allow the pickup to rotate slightly into the correct position. To prevent the pickup rotating during subsequent usage (it shouldn't if its bolted on tight) I made a locktab that does the job.

As I said above, 4 years and no issues.

If it concerns you simply buy a new pickup for a Blacktop from Dunnell.

monck

posted on 11/6/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all didn't have much luck ringing dunnel (were not very helpful )

Scholar engines on the over hand have told me the pick up pipe needs a quick mod and if i pop it in the post they will sort it for a £5 if i cover the postage im not even going to try it myself at that price

Ryan

Paul Turner

posted on 11/6/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monck

Hi all didn't have much luck ringing dunnel (were not very helpful )

Ryan

No surprise there, I have always found Mr Dunnell to be an ignorant obnoxious git.

quote:
Originally posted by monck

Scholar engines on the over hand have told me the pick up pipe needs a quick mod and if i pop it in the post they will sort it for a £5 if i cover the postage im not even going to try it myself at that price

Ryan

On the other hand I have always found Scholar to be incredibly reasonably priced and very helpful.

Considering they are only about 5 miles apart it makes me wonder how Dunnell continues to trade.

monck

posted on 11/6/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote

On the other hand I have always found Scholar to be incredibly reasonably priced and very helpful.

Considering they are only about 5 miles apart it makes me wonder how Dunnell continues to trade.

Totally agree Paul thanks for your help on this and thanks to everyone else that posted

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.