Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR sump issues
Sloan85

posted on 9/6/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR sump issues

My sump is well below the bottom of the chassis and I believe I have two options to sort it..... Chop the bottom of and weld on a plate (not too keen on this idea), or get a new billet sump.

I like the look of the billet sump and swinging pick up from Extreme Engines (I dont like the idea of spending £400 though!!). Does any one have an experience of this sump?

Are there any other sumps that I could use that are cheaper?

Cheers

Extreme Engines - GSXR sump

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

dave_424

posted on 9/6/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
You could cut an weld, but that lower part helps keep oil at the pickup when cornering etc.

I recently welded a small crack and also a turbo drain into my ZX9 sump, no warping issues or leaks. I was told by the welder that no contaminants were in the casting which resulted in good looking welds.

peter bland

posted on 10/6/13 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I run a standard sump with the same set up ie it sits well below the chassis, and never had any problems, just cautious on speed bumps.
smitht82

posted on 10/6/13 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter bland
I run a standard sump with the same set up ie it sits well below the chassis, and never had any problems, just cautious on speed bumps.

Dito, though i might fit a sump guard to deflect any impact.

fimi7

posted on 22/6/13 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
So if you think about how much money and effort it is to replace a motor, my advice would be to by a wet sump pan or go dry sump. Yes both are not cheap, wet sump is much cheaper and simpler to put in.

I went the wet sump route. At the end of the day I have a completely flat bottom from front to rear with nothing hanging. I also raised the engine about 1/4 an inch to get that result.

Now its not something on my mind while I drive, especially over man whole covers..

--- Ali

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.