Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: are DRLs a legal requirement?
blakep82

posted on 17/6/13 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
are DRLs a legal requirement?

Not for IVA, but for cars coming out of factories?
If yes, from what date? I keep seeing 12 plate Ford police cars without DRLs on. Yesterday I saw one with sidelights on (tail lights lit up) and one with nothing. Thought cars have to have them by law now...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

chrism

posted on 17/6/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
From 7th February 2011 apparently.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay?storeId=10001&categoryId=245215&articleId=809953

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

AndyW

posted on 17/6/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
In my new Audi which was a 61 plate you could switch off the drl's in the mmi menu so maybe others have too! Also police vehicles are built to a different spec on certain models so may be a 12 plate but actually a different model year.
smitht82

posted on 17/6/13 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
They r a requirement and cars from 2012 can't disengage them. However, they do t have to be LED ;-)
Canada EH!

posted on 17/6/13 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
The local hicks in my neck of the woods disconnect the relay then drive their Cummins powered pickups in stealth mode in the fog.

I don't know how they afford a $50,000.00 pickup truck with a minus quantity in the brain bucket.

rdodger

posted on 17/6/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
My Sept 2012 Audi A3 Sportback (old model) has them but you can turn them off on the light switch.
PSpirine

posted on 17/6/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Also keep in mind that DRL's turn off or dim when you put sidelights on (depending on whether the car uses the same lights for DRL and sidelights).
matt_claydon

posted on 18/6/13 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
From Feb 2011 all "new types" of passenger car had to have DRL fitted. "New type" essentially means new design, but what qualifies as a new design is complicated. In many cases manufacturers have chosen to fit DRL to ensure their vehicles look modern, even though they may not be legally required for that vehicle.

For vehicles for which fitment is not mandatory, it must be possible to switch the DRL off without the use of tools; this is usually done through a menu option or sequence of button presses. For vehicles which must have DRL fitted, this should not be possible.

There is currently no date from which all vehicels must have DRL, so if a vehicle design is not updated significantly, it can carry on without DRL indefinitely.

Note the above only applies to type approved vehicles.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.