Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding plated bolts?
nick205

posted on 21/6/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Welding plated bolts?

I need to weld some standard BZP bolts onto my kart chassis to mount the brakes.

Do I need to grind off the zinc plating before welding?

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 21/6/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I normally do, it's worth cleaning up anything your going to weld even it looks clean!

Aaron

Work to Live don't Live to Work

tegwin

posted on 21/6/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally remove the bzp although I don't tend to because they are usually only on jigs and the like which are not expected to last a long time. Welding bolts on for something substantial like brake mounts seems a bit of a badge to me. Is there a more "proffesional" at of doing it?

Also of you are welding galvanized parts avoid brething the fumes at all costs... Bad things are released when you burn the coatings

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Davey D

posted on 21/6/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
To get a nice weld with decent penetration, then you need to grind the zinc plating off. You can get away with leaving it on when you are MIG welding them on a high amperage settings, but since you are welding it to a kart chassis, then your power will be turned down. If you are TIG welding, then you definately need to remove all traces of the zinc, as it will explode, and contaminate your tungsten

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.