Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone London, Wembley and Tube savvy???
yellowcab

posted on 23/6/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone London, Wembley and Tube savvy???

Evening guys...

Managed to get tickets for my wife's 30th to go and see Robbie Williams & Olly Murs at Wembley Stadium on Friday 5th July.

The plan is to drive down, and book a hotel with parking, then get the tube to the stadium itself and leave my car at the hotel...

This is where I become unstuck with the whole London thing... I believe that Wembley Stadium is not far from Baker Street stop on the tube, but how do I know what line I need to get on? And preferably we don't wanna have to swap lines, at the risk of ending up in timbucktoo.

So I need to look for a hotel which is along the same line as where Wembley is, do I make sense? Probably not... Any help would be great...

Thanks chaps

Olz

ashg

posted on 23/6/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
metropolitan, bakerloo, overground or jubilee are all lines that will get you close to wembly stadium but they are all a 10min walk when you get off the train. the map is bloody easy to work out.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

wembley is near the top left corner as it would be on a normal road map.

edit. you may be better off getting the highspeed train down with an all zones underground pass rather than parking the car, traffic is poo with extra poo on top then a bit of maure on top just to make extra shitty.

[Edited on 23/6/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

dhutch

posted on 24/6/13 at 04:35 AM Reply With Quote
Although I have only every visited London for odd weekends or passing through to heathrow or similar I have grown up with the tube and have never had any problems.

As said, the tube map is simple to understand, there is a lot of redundancy, and have have had very few problems. There is also afair a journey time estimate somewhere on the website. Obviously leave contingency time, but I have only once had a big hold up, about half an hour, due to issues on one of the line, which as I was going to the outskirts didnt have any options for going another way round.

Unless its going to be your only trip to London ever, get a pair of Oyter cards (on arrival or in advance) saves queuing for tickets.

I would also get the train down, even if you start off by driving to a near by station, but that's ultimately your call.

Daniel

olimarler

posted on 24/6/13 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
It's not easy from baked street at all.
There is a good hotel right next to wembley but you'll prob find it booked up by now.
Go to wembley web site and they will have I structions on it to get there

Oli

snakebelly

posted on 24/6/13 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just be aware that it may be more difficult than you think to find a central hotel that has car parking, or that has car parking they don't want £20 a night for! I always stay a bit further out of London and commute in where possible.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 24/6/13 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Why not book a hotel towards the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street.
You can walk to Bond Street and get on the Jubilee Line north bound straight to wembley park. There's an NCP next door IIRC.
Then on Saturday you can earn many boy points by taking a wander around Oxford street and soho for a bit of retail therapy. If you do, don't enter Selfridges on the right hand door as it will cost you a fortune! There is a massive hand bag store as you walk in... Say no more.

Let me know what the concert is like - am going on Sunday

benchmark51

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I went up to London to collect my new van. I took the train to paddington, then the tube making one change on the way. I hadn't a clue how it all works, but I was lucky cos I found a Polish man who showed me how the tube works and a west indian man helped me with the change over. Easy peasy. Do yourself a favour, get your hotel sorted and ask them for directions and take the train. Far too much hassle driving and parking in London, I avoid town in Bristol and thats not as bad as London (although getting there).
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Recently went to se Brunce Springsteen at wembley - very easy to get about, and fantastically organised by the well rehearsed Wembley staff.

we stayed here: Royal Danubius

Drove down and parked at the hotel (£25 but secure). nearest tube is St Johns Wood which is on the Jubilee line, same as Wembley Park (the one you want). get off tube, walk down the stairs and Wembley Stadium is right in front of you - the arch helps you find it!

Make sure to get off at Wembley Park, the other Wembley stations are further away.

There is a Premier Inn, Hilton, Ibis and a few others within walking distance if you can get a room. Parking WILL be £25 plus a night, but thats london for you.

have fun

yellowcab

posted on 24/6/13 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies and advice...

The idea behind driving down was so we could afford to stay in a nice hotel... if we were to catch the train (@ £160 for us both) that would scupper the hotel idea, and would have to travel back that evening.

I'm kinda getting the jist that driving around London just isn't cricket lol

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 24/6/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Thanks for all your replies and advice...

The idea behind driving down was so we could afford to stay in a nice hotel... if we were to catch the train (@ £160 for us both) that would scupper the hotel idea, and would have to travel back that evening.

I'm kinda getting the jist that driving around London just isn't cricket lol

Driving in London is no more taxing than anywhere else - just watch your speed and expect a fair bit of traffic.

I always drive down, park and stay over. much more pleasant! Alternatively, park at the end of one of the tube lines (usually a couple of quid a day) and tube into central. takes about 45 mins depending on the line.

I cant recommend the hotel i linked enough - perfect for Wembley, and opposite Lords so quite interesting of you like Cricket!

whitestu

posted on 24/6/13 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Another alternative is to park a bit further out. Where I live in Croxley Green you can park for free on the street and get the tube into Wembley Park [Metropolitan line].
yellowcab

posted on 24/6/13 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Stu... any nice hotels around by you? also... any idea of how long it'd take on the Metropolitan Line?

whitestu

posted on 24/6/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
There aren't many hotels nearby unless you either go a bit further out into Herts or go to Watford.

The tube takes about 25 mins.

Another alternative is Grim's Dyke in Harrow - never stayed there but it looks nice.

Link

It is fairly close to Hatch end station and you can get an over ground train to Wembley Central in about half an hour.

Stu

yellowcab

posted on 24/6/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice that, and cheap enough too...

So you'd get the overground straight to Wembley Central from there?

whitestu

posted on 24/6/13 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, from Hatch End which is under 2 miles from the Hotel. Check on www.tfl.gov.uk for train and tube times. There is a journey planner that tells you how long it will take between any two stations.

It says Hatch End to Wembley Central is 13 mins with no changes.

Stu

zetec

posted on 24/6/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you do drive just watch the bus lanes/box junctions/parking and bike lanes. They are monitored by CCTV and if you end up somewhere you should not be you have a good chance of a fine in the post!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

whitestu

posted on 25/6/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote

If you do drive just watch the bus lanes/box junctions/parking and bike lanes. They are monitored by CCTV and if you end up somewhere you should not be you have a good chance of a fine in the post!

Good advice - I've had my share!

richiekuk

posted on 25/6/13 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
All been said I think, but Metropolitan Line and Jubilee line both run through Wembley park Station, which is as close to the stadium as you'll get.

Both lines also run through Baker st.

I used to work on the Met line, so have seen many concerts come and go.

The staff are great, and very helpful.

[Edited on 25/6/13 by richiekuk]

yellowcab

posted on 25/6/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks once again for taking the time to reply.

I'm still in limbo as to whether to drive down, get a hotel, then tube it to the gig... or train down.

Problem with the train, is missing the last one of the night lol

richiekuk

posted on 25/6/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Thanks once again for taking the time to reply.

I'm still in limbo as to whether to drive down, get a hotel, then tube it to the gig... or train down.

Problem with the train, is missing the last one of the night lol

Generally, if there is a big gig, they will put on more trains to cope with the crowds.
The most I saw was when Take That played at Wembley. I was on call at Baker st, and there was literally train after train full of women.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.