Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First track day?
Sierra

posted on 1/7/13 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
First track day?

Hi all I've finally finished modifying my tiger Avon so that I can drive it so now want to get some practice with it and enjoy it.
I've never been on a track/airfield before and this is my first type 7 car so I'm a real beginner.
What would you guys advise I do first as I don't trust myself on track with others as I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
Is there such a thing as going to an airfield and someone teaching you the basics? Also someone to test my car to say if its setup correctly.
I'm in the Hertfordshire area.

Davegtst

posted on 1/7/13 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
My missus bought me a taster track day at Rockingham. I haven't been yet but it sounds like it should be a good way to get into it.
Davey D

posted on 1/7/13 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
You can pay for tuition on a track day.

I think you would be best for your first few times to do an airfield trackday, or somewhere like Blyton park, as there is lots of runoff, and no armco barriers to smash into.

Overtaking is only on the straights, so just keep an eye on traffic approaching from the rear, and pull over to let them past. It isn't a race, so just go at a pace you are comfy with

Slimy38

posted on 1/7/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about being on track with others, I've heard very few horror stories about beginners being 'scared off'. You just concentrate on your own drive and build up your speed during the course of the day. As mentioned, there are strict rules for track days and you can be fairly safe in the knowledge that no-one wants a black flag or a ban spoiling their fun.

I would also pay the extra money and see if you can get a bit of tuition, or even go on a club day and see if you can get one of the more experienced drivers to come with you and suggest improvements?

The one thing I will be doing before going on to a track is going for skidpan training, particularly as this will be the first time I've driven a rear wheel drive car.

pewe

posted on 1/7/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Look at Car Limits Driving Days at North Weald.
Car limits
They're great value for money, only one car on their course at any one time, as hard or as easy as you want to make it and instruction available.
In fact I'm going on 19th July, probably in the Mazda.
Still a few places available but book soon as they could fill fast.
See you there?
Cheers, Pewe10

Sierra

posted on 1/7/13 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. I've been looking about today and found a website called car limits that offer a day of tuition for 4 people at £220 at north Weald airfield. Has anyone got any experience of this as it sounds like a good way to learn about my car.
http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining

pewe

posted on 1/7/13 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra, same outfit as I posted above ^^.
Whilst their Tuition Days will probably be good once you've put a few miles under the wheels I reckon cost/benefit is better on one of their Activity Days.
But a they say chacqun a son goo, Rodders.
Cheers, Pewe10

mark chandler

posted on 1/7/13 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the car is quiet book Bedford aerodrome.

Do not worry about other people, if they try and bully you they will get sent off, plenty of overtaking room and if you spin out nothing to hit so nice and safe.

You will find everyone rushes off the moment the track opens, if you can resist wait until they start coming in for morning coffee as it will quieten down and by the afternoon the boy racers will have broken down so you can settle in.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 1/7/13 by mark chandler]

Bizarro

posted on 1/7/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
Thanks for the info. I've been looking about today and found a website called car limits that offer a day of tuition for 4 people at £220 at north Weald airfield. Has anyone got any experience of this as it sounds like a good way to learn about my car.
http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining

Ive done 2 car limits days, brilliant to get to know your car in a 'safe' environment, massive run off areas, good 1 to 1 tuition + seperate area to go and play. Well worth £220.

Sierra

posted on 1/7/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the comments. The only other option I could do is book a novice day at somewhere like snetterton for £99 and also a couple of 20 min tuition on track
whitestu

posted on 1/7/13 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
In my view the best thing you can do fairly close to Watford is Abingdon Airfield.

I've done a couple of Motorsports events days there and is is great for a first track day. Abindgon is pretty close too at about 60 miles.

Theya re normally fairly quiet so no worries about being bothered by people behind and plenty of run off space.

The North Weald days are OK but you end up sitting about a lot waiting to get on track. On a £ per track hour basis Abingdon is equally as good value.

BTW I'm just doen the road from you in Croxley.

Stu

Sierra

posted on 1/7/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi stu

Thanks for the advice ill look into that airfield. I know your in Crowley as I came to see you before buying my car, thanks again. You welcome to give my car ago cause I know you wanted to see what the supercharger was like, that way you could give your opinion on things I need to improve on it

whitestu

posted on 1/7/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - sorry memory like a seive! Is your call sorted and on the road now then?

Stu

Sierra

posted on 1/7/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, well it was always on the road but I've been messing with it to get more leg room as its very tight. Got a tiny steering wheel and modified the Sierra pedals but wasn't enough so I've now fitted the obp pedal box and its much much better.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.