Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powdercoat VS Paint on a few bits
Padstar

posted on 2/7/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Powdercoat VS Paint on a few bits

I got myself a powdercoat gun a few months ago with the full intension on using it to finish off certain bits (Calipers, hubs etc). Now that i have reached the point where i am thinking of doing these bits i am now thinking should i just paint them with Por 15 or similar.

I like the idea of the "thick" plastic like finish of the powder coat and worry that painting will show all the defects in the calieprs etc.

What do you think?

Also i plan to purchase some new MX5 calipers and then coat (powder or paint). Have many of you don ethis in the past and what is the best way of going about it without causing damage and achieving the best results?

loggyboy

posted on 2/7/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Very pleased with my powdercoating. Does chip easier than paint though. I plan on doing a double coat of powder coat on exposed parts.

Mistral Motorsport

rusty nuts

posted on 2/7/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Painting with POR15 followed by hardnose paint for me, stripping crap powder coating isn't fun
Padstar

posted on 2/7/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics of finished calipers in powder or paint?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/7/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Very pleased with my powdercoating. Does chip easier than paint though. I plan on doing a double coat of powder coat on exposed parts.

I didn't think you could put a second coat on powder coating, I always understood it to be a one-layer only process?

Guess I must be wrong

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

loggyboy

posted on 2/7/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
quote:

I didn't think you could put a second coat on powder coating, I always understood it to be a one-layer only process?

Guess I must be wrong

It works on static, so aslong as the static charge can penetrate what your coating, and it can stand being heated, you can coat anything.

Electrostatic magic offers metallic 'flip/flake' coatings that are a two stage process, you do the base colour then and the flakes to a clear coat that is add afterwards.

http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/pages/additives
http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/pages/faqs

Intrestingly the clear coat goes on white and clears as it bakes.

Mistral Motorsport

Irony

posted on 2/7/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Done this powder coating thing lots of times on my car and I have found it to be a very very quick and very forgiving finishing method. This is what I have found.

For:

1. Really really quick. You can powdercoat a small bracket and have it bolted on the car within 15 minutes.
2. Forgiving finish. You can fill tiny dinks quite easily
3. Looks good. As long as it's small and it can fit in a domestic oven then the finish is brilliant.
4. You CAN do as many coats as you require.

Against:

1. Bit of a faff with the airlines
2. My compressor is noisy. (not a fault of the process)
3. On multiple coats it will run like normal paint.
4. The 'high crome' or 'mirror' is CRAP. Looks like metallic grey.
5. When tightening a bolt it will crack and chip.
6. Not convinced the heatgun method is the best
7. Her indoors doesn't like you curing stuff in the kitchen oven.
8. Can burn if you leave it to long in the oven.

I really like my electromagic static powder coating kit. It's pretty awesome and I think the newer version is better than mine. The powder goes a very long way and its so quick! I am quite looking forward to being a bit more adventurous when my cars finally finished.

Irony

posted on 2/7/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I would powdercoat brake callipers. I think they my look crap after a while.
loggyboy

posted on 2/7/13 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine standard coloured calipers are powder coated?

Mistral Motorsport

rusty nuts

posted on 2/7/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Done this powder coating thing lots of times on my car and I have found it to be a very very quick and very forgiving finishing method. This is what I have found.

For:

1. Really really quick. You can powdercoat a small bracket and have it bolted on the car within 15 minutes.
2. Forgiving finish. You can fill tiny dinks quite easily
3. Looks good. As long as it's small and it can fit in a domestic oven then the finish is brilliant.
4. You CAN do as many coats as you require.

Against:

1. Bit of a faff with the airlines
2. My compressor is noisy. (not a fault of the process)
3. On multiple coats it will run like normal paint.
4. The 'high crome' or 'mirror' is CRAP. Looks like metallic grey.
5. When tightening a bolt it will crack and chip.
6. Not convinced the heatgun method is the best
7. Her indoors doesn't like you curing stuff in the kitchen oven.
8. Can burn if you leave it to long in the oven.

I really like my electromagic static powder coating kit. It's pretty awesome and I think the newer version is better than mine. The powder goes a very long way and its so quick! I am quite looking forward to being a bit more adventurous when my cars finally finished.

Just wait until the powder coating flakes off your Luego chassis unless of course the prep for yours is better than most I've seen

PhillipM

posted on 2/7/13 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It works on static, so aslong as the static charge can penetrate what your coating, and it can stand being heated, you can coat anything.

Electrostatic magic offers metallic 'flip/flake' coatings that are a two stage process, you do the base colour then and the flakes to a clear coat that is add afterwards.

Yep, I have all my strut braces done with a 3-step powdercoat, anti-rust undercoat, silver basecoat, candy red lacquer over the top:

dave

posted on 2/7/13 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't powdercoat new calipers as the curing (heating) process will damage the seals.
ceebmoj

posted on 2/7/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillipM

Yep, I have all my strut braces done with a 3-step powdercoat, anti-rust undercoat, silver basecoat, candy red lacquer over the top:

They look relay good. how have thay held up to stone chips?

PhillipM

posted on 2/7/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty well actually, they do get some chips obviously, but it tends to be just the top colour layer that comes off, not the underneath, and it it doesn't flake off around them, 3 thin coats seems to be better than the 1 thick coat usually applied with powdercoating.
Irony

posted on 3/7/13 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have never tried mixing/layering different colours like that. It looks awesome. Is that a professionally done job? If not where did you get antirust powder from?
PhillipM

posted on 3/7/13 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
It's just a zinc-rich primer layer, so if it gets chipped down to the metal, the zinc should keep the steel protected, or at least stop any corrosion spreading under the powdercoat.
clanger

posted on 3/7/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
make sure you preheat the calipers to remove any dissolved gasses/contaminents in the casting. found this out to my cost first time I tried. luckily the powdercoat is quite pliable when its fresh out of the oven so can be peeled off like sunburnt skin
Bit of a faff, but I would,nt do it with the seals in, a complete strip down is a must....

[Edited on 3/7/13 by clanger]

Padstar

posted on 3/7/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Do any of you use your kitchen oven?

I am looking for a cheap 2nd hand oven but they are obviously big and i dont have any more room in my garage.

If you do does it smell, cuase any issues with cooking in after etc?

Should calipers just have the pistons and seals removed if powdercoating? If so is it straight forward to replace afterwards and do you coat the grooves the seals sit in?

PhillipM

posted on 3/7/13 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
Should calipers just have the pistons and seals removed if powdercoating? If so is it straight forward to replace afterwards and do you coat the grooves the seals sit in?

Yes, Yes and god NO!

clanger

posted on 3/7/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
managed to blag a used (well used, students type) oven for nothing, mounted it on castors and wheel it in and out of the garage as and when required. check your local dump/recycling place??? Would not recommend the one you cook your Sunday roast in.................
if you are careful when powdering you can remove excess quite accurately with a low pressure blow off gun, and excess will come off easily when its fresh out of the oven........can be a bit hot though !!!!
High temp masking tape is available, but I can get away with normal stuff as long as its not in for too long?

[Edited on 3/7/13 by clanger]

Irony

posted on 3/7/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Used my kitchen oven for curing parts with zero issues. I cleaned cylinder heads in the washing machine and stored engine parts in the living room.............then I moved a woman in. I had to buy a new oven and used the old one for curing parts.
loggyboy

posted on 3/7/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up an old used electric oven from ebay for £40. sits nicely in my garage.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.