Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes Chassis - Wide Version?
RichardRichard

posted on 4/7/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes Chassis - Wide Version?

Hi Guys

Right, I've finally done it ordered my steels today and wood etc for the chassis board which is all being delivered tomorrow.

before I go like a bull at a gate and mark my board out, has anyone ever made a wider version of the Haynes? I ask as I'm not the most svelte of figures due mainly to the pub being a favourite pastime

If you have, any chance of the new sizes to cut to? Or I'll have to work it out myself.

Cheers

Rich

Planning to start own Haynes with my 11 year old (his idea!)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/7/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's pretty wide already and I know big chaps that get into mk chassis's which are 2 inches narrower at the arse.

You may struggle to find bodywork if you widen it also if you don't plan on making that yourself too

[Edited on 4/7/13 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RichardRichard

posted on 4/7/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Mate, I plan to do the bodywork myself though too - I intend to make everything from start to finish.

Planning to start own Haynes with my 11 year old (his idea!)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/7/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
McSorley 442 is wider by 2 inch I believe.
But I'm not sure about what you do about widening the rear track without getting custom driveshafts or big spacers behind the wheels

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/7/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Link

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Slimy38

posted on 4/7/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
You're welcome to pop down to featherstone and take a sit in my partially completed chassis? It might give you some guide on what it'll be like?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/7/13 at 05:24 AM Reply With Quote
Check out the Locost map in my signature. There's several pages so check all. You may find someone local that has a roadster or similar you can sit in

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Talon Motorsport

posted on 5/7/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need a 165mm wide tranny tunnel for a 50mm wide prop shaft it only needs to be wide enough at the rear of the tunnel to clear the input flange. If your worried about the prop breaking and removing your hips/legs then fit prop arresters at both ends the same as drag cars.
You could make the chassis 50-100mm wider by adding 50-100 straight down the middle of the chassis and still use standard wishbones. If you use drive shafts that have the bolt on CV joints you could get 25-50mm spacers made up to make the shafts longer. There are companies that make custom Sierra half shafts to any length for grasstrack racing.

[Edited on 5/7/13 by Talon Motorsport]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Not Anumber

posted on 5/7/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
There is a guy on the Haynes forum who has widenned a Haynes chassis by an extra 4 inches so he can fit a BMW V8. It has dictated a few changes and he is having to modify and custome build his bodywork but he seems to be progressing well.

Frankly though unless there is a specific engineering or mechanical need I'd say a standard Haynes should be wide enough for the vast majority of humans on the planet. Ive carried some very large passengers in my MK which is slightly narrower than a standard Haynes.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.