Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3D printer at Maplin
deezee

posted on 9/7/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
3D printer at Maplin

Not really sure I need one, but I certainly want one. I can see my 2013/2014 budget having one of these buried in it. You know.... so I can.... urrmmmm .... make a 3D pen holder or something.

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2280246/maplin-brings-velleman-k8200-3d-printer-to-the-uk-for-gbp699

Vindi_andy

posted on 9/7/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Im with you on this.

Dont need one but I want one

SteveMX5

posted on 9/7/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm Tig welder or 3D printer, choices choices
deezee

posted on 9/7/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd certainly print off a Haynes Chassis I have on AutoCAD.... after that I'm fresh out of ideas. Probably make bits for the car, replacement horn button, IVA covers etc etc. Just all those things that are a pig to make in a garage without mills and lathes. Although accuracy is only 0.5mm and its £30 a kg for the raw plastic. You couldn't do it for favours!

Bluemoon

posted on 9/7/13 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveMX5
Hmm Tig welder or 3D printer, choices choices

TIG, you can make real things with that that will save more money (on the car)) than the 3D printer... 3D printing is nice but only for small stuff, might be handy for trim pieces with a bit of work (filler and sanding)..

Good fun mind..

Dan

Daddylonglegs

posted on 9/7/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Does it print money?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Slimy38

posted on 9/7/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
This popped up on hotukdeals, as a high street purchase it's quite decent but it doesn't offer anything more than the current kits you can buy that cost a few hundred less.

I'm still waiting for a better variety of manufacturing materials, a variation on liquid metal would be extremely useful.

daveb666

posted on 9/7/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone else download the design for the working gun before it was removed from the torrents?
MikeRJ

posted on 9/7/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
Anyone else download the design for the working gun before it was removed from the torrents?

I had a look at it, what a crock of poo! IMO it would be just as dangerous to the person pulling the trigger as the person the gun was pointed at.

daveb666

posted on 9/7/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the video of the guy that designed it firing one, looked OK to me.
deezee

posted on 9/7/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
This popped up on hotukdeals, as a high street purchase it's quite decent but it doesn't offer anything more than the current kits you can buy that cost a few hundred less.

Do you have any links to other kits? I was thinking that there must be a better quality / cheaper kit than what Maplin sell. They ain't exactly cheap! I've seen some kick starter ones, but the aren't going to be shipping until April 2014.

Bluemoon

posted on 9/7/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
raprep

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

In fact if you want to print a raprep once you've got yours let me know, I would like a kit of bits...

In fact the maplin kit looks like this one:

http://reprap.org/wiki/3drag

Dan

[Edited on 9/7/13 by Bluemoon]

Slimy38

posted on 9/7/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
raprep

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

In fact if you want to print a raprep once you've got yours let me know, I would like a kit of bits...

In fact the maplin kit looks like this one:

http://reprap.org/wiki/3drag

Dan

Yep, these are the ones I'm thinking of. They're quite well established now, they've got over the initial 'quirks' and it's quite a decent kit.

myke pocock

posted on 9/7/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
3D printer or MIG welder? Why not buy the first then print the second. Jobs a goodun
David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've built a few Velleman electronics kits over the years - decent quality components, nicely made PCBs, good instructions written to help novices end up with something that works. The down-side is that the PCBs tend to be large (to make it easier for novices to solder) and the price is often well above that of buying individual components yourself. Although capable of designing and building simple electronic circuits myself, I've bought their kits because I had a specific need and wanted a quick design that would work.

So, I would expect that this 3D printer will be easy to build and is very likely to work. It won't be cutting-edge technology, but that costs more money!

[Edited on 10/7/13 by David Jenkins]

inkafone

posted on 10/7/13 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
As with printer ink the price of the filament reels will come down as more of these machines are sold. Wait a few years and single filament machines will be under £200............maybe.........
owelly

posted on 10/7/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
PPC did a feature on the Reprap and how you can 'print' the components to make more......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 10/7/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I've built a few Velleman electronics kits over the years - decent quality components, nicely made PCBs, good instructions written to help novices end up with something that works. The down-side is that the PCBs tend to be large (to make it easier for novices to solder) and the price is often well above that of buying individual components yourself. Although capable of designing and building simple electronic circuits myself, I've bought their kits because I had a specific need and wanted a quick design that would work.

So, I would expect that this 3D printer will be easy to build and is very likely to work. It won't be cutting-edge technology, but that costs more money!

[Edited on 10/7/13 by David Jenkins]

Yep, I've been impressed with Velleman over the years, apart from as you say the slight price premium and the physical size. The few kits that have had a mechanical part are also similarly designed for novices and pretty robust.

PeterGrant

posted on 8/3/14 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Why not 3D print those pen deezee? If you find it costly, you can order some spools of ABS or PLA filaments at 3d2print. They have saver pack deals that I'm pretty sure you can afford. Plus, if you think you're pen is such a masterpiece and a unique creation of yours, you can submit that to them; and get a chance to be features in their site with a 20% off in their selection of 3d printing filaments.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.