Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What advance?
catman

posted on 11/7/13 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
What advance?

do you have any details of what ignition mapping your using? I am looking for what particular advance you are running at full load and max revs

It is currently running 38 BTDC at 7,200 and full throttle, which I believe is too much. someone at work who used to build race engines reckons on 28 to 30 for a 16 valver with a decent shape combustion chamber, but then again Zetecs might have a requirement for more advance.

Details are Megajolt ignition for a Zetec Silver-top on twin 45s, Kent uprated cams (not sure which) and standard compression ratio.

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

snapper

posted on 11/7/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Most engines get to max advance at 3600 to 3800rpm then flat line letting vac adjust for part load
You can mirror the standard advance as stated in a Haynes manual and advance until it pinks then retard a couple of degrees
Higher lift cams with standard compression increases burn time so you may need less advance than standard
There are plenty of Zetec Megajolt maps on the web and Autosportslabs has a small library

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 11/7/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
ISTR the K16 which has a similar combustion chamber maxes out a 29 BTDC
A wilder cam demands a little more advance than standard cam and a larger bore also has a simliar effect so I would say 30 to 32 BTDC.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.