Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 - advice/thoughts needed please
Markyb13

posted on 14/7/13 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
R1 - advice/thoughts needed please

Hi all,
Been making the most of this lovely weather but for the last couple of weeks it's suffered from an intermittent fault. Sometimes she will just stall when slowing down at a junction or traffic lights, start her up again and she just dies again straight away unless I give it some revs, if I turn the ignition on and off a couple of times she's fine ?

I have always suffered from a fluctuating idle but this does seem a bit worse recently, sometimes fluctuating by up to 500 rpm, don't know if this is connected?

At first I thought it might be a throttle position sensor issue, especially as mine is a 2003 model and it looks like r1's & r6's of that age had issues with these going wrong, but I have gone into the diagnosis mode and checked the reading when pressing the throttle and all seems good with a smooth progression from 19 all the way up to about 96. I've also managed to do this on the road just as it was happening where I managed to pull over quickly, thinking the figures might read differently as it happens, but no ?

I appreciate there may be a few things that could cause these symptoms but wondered if anyone has had the same issue at some point and how they fixed it, i don't really want to be buying loads of parts and replacing them in the hope of fixing it, any advice will be most welcome,
Cheers

Mark

chicade

posted on 14/7/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Possible air leak throttle body rubber perished or split? Would explain in even idle as well and could just got worse over time start it up and spray some brake cleaner or wd around the rubbers and see if engine note changes quick and easy check first
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 14/7/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem with the idle on a 5PW where mine decided to idle at 2500 rpm when it got warm - the warm idle bar needed to be well lubricated.
Yours could be a similar thing with this part?

Markyb13

posted on 15/7/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I've now managed to try both of these and neither seem to have made a difference. I can't help thinking its an electrical/sensor issue as it seems to reset itself to a certain extent when you turn the ignition on and off and is an intermitant issue rather than a constant one, having said that idle issue is constant but fluctuates by 200rpm normally then 500 rpm occasionally.
Thanks again for the ideas

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.