Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Insurance and Premiums
karlak

posted on 15/7/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Car Insurance and Premiums

Wife was out in the car today and hit from behind by a young girl driver. Car is going to need a new bumper and spray I guess - will go and get it checked tomorrow.

I have been told that if we go through the insurance even though my wife was not at fault, her premium will increase on renewal ? Has anyone had experience of this ?

The other driver is going to call us later, probably her Dad, as he "works in the car industry" and so presumably they are thinking they can get a cheap repair.

Our car is a less than 2 years old Mini, so not really happy about a back street garage repair.

Just after some advice/experience before we get a call tonight - Oh and while it is off the road, my wife will need an automatic courtesy car.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Coopz

posted on 15/7/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's true unfortunately! When renewing your car insurance they will ask if you have had an accident regardless of fault in the last five years.

I was hit by an elderly lady whilst stationary, she admitted full liability and her insurance paid for the repairs, my no-claims were unaffected and I was not at fault. The following year when my renewal was due my premium went up, not by much, but still IMO it's ridiculous that it should affect the party not at fault!

Your best bet is not too go through insurance, but ensure the car is taken too a garage of your choice, if anything go and get an estimate yourself to send to her father. If they argue just explain that its in their interest not to go through the insurance as she's a young driver and her insurance costs will be astronomical with an added claim the following year.

r1_pete

posted on 15/7/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Its a good few years ago but I was hit from behind driving my wife's car, 6 month old Lexus, repair was best part of £8K plus courtesy car, no impact on her premium at all.

We did make an almighty stink about it, and tried to get the car written off, our view was we didn't have a repaired car before the accident, why should we have one after!! Must have cost a few bob in calls, letters, delays, and storage too.

Ask yourself what could you have done to avoid the accident, probably nothing other not have taken the car out.

The choice of repairer is yours too, not the insurance or TPs, and you don't have to get several quotes if you don't use the insurers preferred repairer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 15/7/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

My wife is named on mine and my sons car as well, so we would be "clobbered" as well.

It gets a little more interesting. Her father is in the car repair trade and is popping over this evening. I guess he is a smart repair type business, so can look at it with a semi-professional eye.

Looks like one of the rear hangers is bent backwards, so I am hoping if that is straightened then the bumper will come back to shape. There is a little paint damage also, with a bit of flaking, which will need fixing.

Insurance really is an ass, how can it be legal to penalise you when you were not at fault.. madness.. I will see what he says, but obviously they are desperate not to go through the insurance.

morcus

posted on 15/7/13 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
That's insurance for you, but I wouldn't fancy having someone do a job like that on my car, and your committing insurance fraud if you don't tell your insurance company, even if no claim is made.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

chrism

posted on 15/7/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Its all statistics based, I remeber reading about this a while ago, it appears from the statistics that if you are involved in an accident even if it wasnt your fault then you a likely to be involved in another accident in the future, according to the accident statistics hence the price increase.

The prices are all just worked out via some formula that takes everything into account. There are some countries where its the vehicle thats insured instead of the driver, and the price is worked out based on the car, it would seem like a good idea at first but then you realise theres no incentive to the driver to drive safe and no seeming punishment in insurance cost for causing accidents.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

karlak

posted on 15/7/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys.

Her Dad has popped round and we are going to get it sorted so we are all happy. I think alot of these things are all about attitude and he was spot on.

Still hate insurance companies

I know another aspect that gets me is - If I were to drive 5000 miles a year, then my inurance premium is less than if I do 25,000. However, if next year I re-insure and not had an accident, should my 25000 accident free miles now get me a discount ?
Surely, If I have driven 5 times further than a 5000 mile a year driver and not had an accident, then I must be a better risk ?

Its all stats and can be twisted whatever way they want. They hold all the cards.

brookie

posted on 15/7/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
That's insurance for you, but I wouldn't fancy having someone do a job like that on my car, and your committing insurance fraud if you don't tell your insurance company, even if no claim is made.

that not right

[Edited on 15/7/13 by brookie]

JoelP

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie
quote:

that not right

I suspect it might be correct. You are obtaining the benefit of insurance cover whilst declaring you are telling the truth, when you arent. Not that id be bothered to tell them myself, but it could count as fraud. You'd also definately have no cover if they found out, and they could also bill you for what the premium should have cost you - someone on here had that recently.

The reason your premium goes up even when its not your fault, is that you have shown yourself to be statistically less able to avoid someone elses mistakes. The better a driver is, the more chance he has of avoiding an accident that would be someone elses fault. Obviously it cant apply to all accidents, such as when you arent even in the car (but then again, maybe a better driver would have picked a better parking space?!), but it does provide some indication of how good you are at avoiding trouble.

Myself, id drive an older car, try to get cash to repair it yourself, then just pocket it and leave it bent

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bi22le

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

that not right

Im with morcus on this. They will ask have you had any accidents, claims or convictions. Regarsless if you claimed, you still had an accident. What I say with some of moly company car accidents is yes I had one, none fault with £0 damage value. If that does affect your premium then it will be by the smallest amount possible.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

chrism

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

that not right

You are supposed to inform your insurance company of any accident regardless of fault even if you dont claim, and also any points gained on your licence need to be reported aswell. Failing to do this usually means that your insurance is invalid. Of course if its not reported to anyone then they wont be able to check, but its not uncommon for insurance assessors to search internet forums for evidence of wrong doing, they will try anything they can to get out of paying out in the event of a claim.

morcus

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just be careful, and if you do, make sure you change your insurance company regularly. I know people who've been done for fraud for not telling insurance companies things, and had charges back dated over multiple previous penalties (Mostly points for speeding but I believe they can do you for this also).

Honestly, if I wasn't claiming I probably wouldn't tell them, but it is a crime and I believe it will say this in your policy documents (That almost no one reads) and ignorance is no excuse.

Bottom of this page

From that I'd say there isn't likely to be much of a legal problem as such, but if your outside of the rules of your policy, it's worth naff all, and if you have another accident you might not be insured.

chrism

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
It should also be noted if you have an accident which the police are involved in and the insurance company cancels your policy due to none disclosure of information, the police are then able to prosecute you for driving without insurance, although from what I hear the fine is less that a years insurance cost anyway.

morcus

posted on 15/7/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Driving without insurance gets you 6 points, and the police claim there isn't any lee way on that one.

trextr7monkey

posted on 15/7/13 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Similar thing happened to me- stopped at lights on way to work and a bloke shot into back of XTrail, I think he was on his phone. He admitted liability, i informed my insurers (Marks n Spencers) car was collected repaired dropped back. Job done?
2 big issues- weekly harrassment by some ambulance chasers encouraging me to make whiplash claims " working on behalf of my insurers" obviously M n S sell the details on, 2.5 years later I stll get called by an even more desperate firm who must buy the "failures to claim" from the first firm!b
Next is as a named driver on my children's policies I was told it had to bé decared. I queried this as not my fault fully settled by other guy etc and was told that if you have a number of these shunts it shows you are travelling at busy times of day. - countered by saying thisv was why commuting cover cost extra but as has been pointed out you can never win against the statistics.
This is just one of the many anomalies in the car insurance game
Good luck with sorting out the prob in original post
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

johnwilders

posted on 15/7/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That's insurance for you, but I wouldn't fancy having someone do a job like that on my car, and your committing insurance fraud if you don't tell your insurance company, even if no claim is made.

So you saying anyone who has grazed there bumper on a post or curbed a wheel is committing insurance fraud by not informing them.
It’s a shame more people can’t settle privately and amicably then may be our premiums would be lower, my other pet hate is claim management firms encouraging people to go for the full works, whiplash compensation, car hire and a very expensive repair. I have seen many times a minor repair costing many times more in total than it should.

dhutch

posted on 16/7/13 at 04:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
Thanks again guys.

Her Dad has popped round and we are going to get it sorted so we are all happy. I think alot of these things are all about attitude and he was spot on.

Still hate insurance companies

Sounds good to me. As someone who damaged another car as a young driver (i actually hit a fence, parts of which then hit another car) I was very glad that the other driver decided to settle outside of the insurance as it worked out a lot cheaper all round, and a lot less paperwork for both parties. And at the end of the say, there's no reason not to use the same garage as the insurance co would use for the repair, we used the company the royalmail had used when one of there vans hit my mum on an access road.

Told the insurance I had hit a fence, wasn't claiming, but that my new reg was xyz. Premium went up 10% but I did also change from the 8v 1.6 to the 16v 1.8 model of the same car.

Daniel

Ninehigh

posted on 16/7/13 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
Its all statistics based, I remeber reading about this a while ago, it appears from the statistics that if you are involved in an accident even if it wasnt your fault then you a likely to be involved in another accident in the future, according to the accident statistics hence the price increase.

But also surely statistically if you've not had an accident yet then you're more due one, and therefore a bigger risk too...

Peteff

posted on 16/7/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Driving without insurance gets you 6 points, and the police claim there isn't any lee way on that one.

It got a friend of ours 6 months inside back in the 80s

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Slimy38

posted on 16/7/13 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:

It got a friend of ours 6 months inside back in the 80s

I like that idea... when the fine for no insurance is less than the insurance itself, even I'm tempted to drive without insurance. The prospect of a jail term would probably make me think otherwise though!

JoelP

posted on 16/7/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by chrism

But also surely statistically if you've not had an accident yet then you're more due one, and therefore a bigger risk too...

You're probably joking, but probability doesn't work like that.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

geoff shep

posted on 16/7/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
You're right, probability doesn't but stats do and that what they go on.

As for the original problem, unfortunately it's no CLAIMS discount not no blame discount. So irrespective of fault, if you claim it will affect NCD. What bugged me though was that even with protected, and even guaranteed NCD, they wanted to increase my premium after a no fault claim. I shopped around and went elsewhere.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.