Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spark problems, help needed please.
DannyC

posted on 21/7/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Spark problems, help needed please.

I would appreciate some help with a couple of ignition/spark problems I have with MS and ford Coil pack, running wasted spark on ITBs.

Main problem - engine idles, but has slight missfire.
When using timing light on cyl 1 and 3 the timing fluctuates and seems weak. On cyl 2 and 4 however, these are steady with strong spark. As the pair of leads share the same driver, I can not understand why there is this difference. I have tried a different coil pack, but it made no difference.

I'm a bit lost on this one, any suggestions?

Second concern, which I have overcome (could possibly be related).
Having set up the 36-1 trigger wheel, timing in correct place, sensor on tooth 9. Entered 80 degree in Tunerstudio and timing 8 degree BTDC. However, timing light showed 4 degree After TDC!
I had to reduce the 80 degree setting by 12 (to 68) to get the light showing 8 BTDC. Check everything (how many time can you count 9 teeth!) and all seems to be is it should.

Making the 12 degree change worked, so have not worried too much (maybe I just can't see what I have done wrong). Only problem seems to be the above missfire.

Any advice, or just keep my head in the sand

Thank

Danny

[Edited on 21/7/13 by DannyC]

scudderfish

posted on 21/7/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the timing marks on the engine are accurate? Have you put No 1 at TDC and then checked the marker?
gremlin1234

posted on 21/7/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
if you swap one and four on the top of the coil pack, does the problem remain on 1&3 or change to 3&4 ?
MikeRJ

posted on 21/7/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyC
I would appreciate some help with a couple of ignition/spark problems I have with MS and ford Coil pack, running wasted spark on ITBs.

Main problem - engine idles, but has slight missfire.
When using timing light on cyl 1 and 3 the timing fluctuates and seems weak. On cyl 2 and 4 however, these are steady with strong spark. As the pair of leads share the same driver, I can not understand why there is this difference. I have tried a different coil pack, but it made no difference.

I'm a bit lost on this one, any suggestions?

Probably an artefact of the timing light itself. The spark polarity of one cylinder will be the opposite of the other cylinder sharing the same coil, so it's quite possible the timing light only triggers reliably with one polarity.

quote:
Second concern, which I have overcome (could possibly be related).
Having set up the 36-1 trigger wheel, timing in correct place, sensor on tooth 9. Entered 80 degree in Tunerstudio and timing 8 degree BTDC. However, timing light showed 4 degree After TDC!
I had to reduce the 80 degree setting by 12 (to 68) to get the light showing 8 BTDC. Check everything (how many time can you count 9 teeth!) and all seems to be is it should.

Making the 12 degree change worked, so have not worried too much (maybe I just can't see what I have done wrong). Only problem seems to be the above missfire.

Any advice, or just keep my head in the sand

Have you got a basic timing timing light, or one with built in advance measurement? Coil packs can cause problems with these lights, since the light sees twice as many spark events as normal.

DannyC

posted on 21/7/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Scudderfish - Yes, quite sure timing marks are correct. I am concerned that I might have changed a setting in Tunerstudio.

Gremlin - I haven't tried that, I shall give it a go and see what effect it has.

MikeRJ - It's one of the fancy ones, albeit cheap. It does have an arrow on it, so I'll try it the other way around on 1&4 to see if it gets any better. Although as the engine is missing, it would suggest there is a problem rather than just the light not picking up the signal very well.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.

Danny

[Edited on 21/7/13 by DannyC]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 22/7/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Danny,

Can we offer our services?

We can sort your spark problem (what ever it is) and map on our in house rolling road for £250

Its a long drive but worth it! - we have mapped cars for loads of folks on the forum ;-)

Dale

www.baileyperformanace.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave_424

posted on 22/7/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using 2 BIP373's to fire the coils directly? make sure that you have your spark settings "Going high" and "Inverted"

Is your timing light adjustable or fixed?

If you go to datalogging and do a datalog of your engine running and your missfires, feel free to email it to me along with your .MSQ file. While watching your laptop you aren't getting the RPM drop to 0 at any point are you? this would indicate a loss of sync between your engine and megasquirt which would give you a missfire.

Dave_424@hotmail.co.uk

DannyC

posted on 22/7/13 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer Dale, I may well get it mapped, but would like to sort out the problems myself first (with a bit of help from the forum of course)

I changed the leads over on the coil and the timing light effect changed as well. This would suggest it is the type of light. I used an ordinary one and it seemed OK on either lead.

The trigger wheel setup problem was my error, (no surprises there then). I forgot what the correct No. of degrees each of the crankshaft timing marks equated too.

Dave_424 - What are BIP373s? I am using a ford coil pack.
I have recorded a few data logs, but still trying to understand them myself at the moment. I shall send one over when I know I have recorded the right data.
I have had tunerstudio 'freeze' a couple of times, whilst the engine was running. I assumed this was a lost signal or it didn't like the changed I had made.

Thanks

Danny

dave_424

posted on 22/7/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
BIP373's are your ignition drivers, you will have two of these, one for each side of the coilpack. That is if you aren't using an EDIS module.

One word of warning, don't adjust any ignition settings while the engine is running. I stupidly did this and burned through an insulator on one of my ignition drivers, replaced the ignition driver with a new insulator and all is good, but I won't be doing that again.

Dave

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/7/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I know this has been mentioned, but the timing issue is an artefact of wasted spark and a "clever" timing light.

Basically the timing light counts the spark rate to estimate the RPM, and then uses that RPM to set the timing to the value that you have selected.
But, with wasted spark the timing light estimates the RPM inaccurately by a factor of 2, which means that when you ask for 10deg you get only half of that (i.e. 5deg).

It might be worth running a trigger log, these can sometimes be quite revealing.

dave_424

posted on 22/7/13 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
To simplify things I have used an ignition timing of 0 deg, then turn the advance on the timing light to 0, negates any errors like others have said.

Dave

BaileyPerformance

posted on 23/7/13 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for the offer Dale, I may well get it mapped, but would like to sort out the problems myself first (with a bit of help from the forum of course)

I changed the leads over on the coil and the timing light effect changed as well. This would suggest it is the type of light. I used an ordinary one and it seemed OK on either lead.

The trigger wheel setup problem was my error, (no surprises there then). I forgot what the correct No. of degrees each of the crankshaft timing marks equated too.

Dave_424 - What are BIP373s? I am using a ford coil pack.
I have recorded a few data logs, but still trying to understand them myself at the moment. I shall send one over when I know I have recorded the right data.
I have had tunerstudio 'freeze' a couple of times, whilst the engine was running. I assumed this was a lost signal or it didn't like the changed I had made.

Thanks

Danny

Hi Danny,
You said you had tunerstuido freeze, are you using a USB converter or a pukka RS232 port on you PC? If USB this is not unheard of, if RS232 it points to bad grounding/noise. Check your MS grounds.

As Dave said check the ignition drivers. One test that i do is use a 21watt 12v indicator bulb as a load in place of the coilpack, so disconnect the coil pack plug, put ignition key on, connect one wire off the bulb to the center pin (12v) of the coilpack plug and the other wire to coil A or coil B pin. The bulb should NOT be lit on ether coil pin. This proves the drivers are not short or the output incorrectly configure in the software.

Then, with the lamp still connected, crank the engine, the lamp should flicker as the ECU triggers, the flicker should be the same on both coil outputs.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DannyC

posted on 23/7/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a USB converter (from Maplin). I am glad to know wasn't something I was doing wrong!

I shall give the lamp test ago tonight, just to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Thanks

Danny

DannyC

posted on 25/7/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well, lamp test went OK, so no problem there.

I now need now is to understand the datalog output. Is there a list of the acronyms used, as many do not seem very obvious to me.

Danny

gremlin1234

posted on 25/7/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I now need now is to understand the datalog output. Is there a list of the acronyms used, as many do not seem very obvious to me.

http://www.megamanual.com/mt29.htm
about a quarter down the page,
+ there is also a viewer program

coozer

posted on 25/7/13 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Checked the leads and plugs?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.