Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this a scam ?
Wheels244

posted on 26/7/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is this a scam ?

Hello All

I responded to an advert on Gumtree for a Freelander 2 and got the following as responses.

I'm assuming this is some form of scam ??? But I've not come across it before.

Could someone confirm one way or the other please - I think I know the answer, just need someone to confirm it for me

Thanks

Rob

"Hi Rob

The car is currently located in Inverness, IV2 4YL because I just finished the divorce with my wife and I have moved here. My car is in perfect working condition, very well maintained with no issues. No pets, non smoking car. It has never been involved in any accidents and comes with full service history.

The asking price is £3,680 for a fast sale + £150 which will be the delivery fees. Due the fact that i work on a oil rig (North Sea oil fields, Rowan Gorilla platform to be more specific) I can't meet you but we can use Google's services. Using their services you have 3 days to inspect the car before paying me and I'll be sure that I have a genuine buyer who won't mess me around.

Let me know if you're still interested and I will explain you more in detail!

P.S. My mobile says no network coverage but I do check emails regularly"

"Hi Mike.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Could you please send some more pictures of it please. The more the better.

Can you let me have the Reg No. So I can HPI it if we decide to go ahead.

I assume you have all the documentation - V5 etc ?

Who has carried out the servicing ?

Are there any faults with it at all ?

Thanks

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Jul 2013, at 18:22, Mike Wayne wrote:

Hi Rob

I have briefly described Google's transaction steps below:

1. Buyer, Seller reach an agreement (price and delivery conditions) ; 2. Buyer sends the payment to Google and they inform the seller that the payment was received ; 3. Seller delivers the vehicle ; 4. Buyer accepts delivery and informs Google about the acceptance ; 5. Google releases the money to seller.
You'll get the chance to inspect the car, test it and everything you like while your money are safely held into Google's account. ONLY after you confirm with Google that you agree to keep the car, they'll release the money to me. If, for any reason you don't want to keep the car you will get a full refund from Google.( I'm sure it will not be be the case ).
If you're keen to buy it reply with your name and delivery address + your email address so I can register the transaction and Google will send you all the info regarding payment and shipping.

More info available on www.google-purchase.com
--
Regards,
Mike Wayne

Oil Sea Extracting Engineer

Wadders

posted on 26/7/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
SCAM run a mile
thefreak

posted on 26/7/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
The grammar is a lot better than usual though
Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/7/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Scam, he'll almost certainly ask from some money before delivery.

People do the same scam from animals, dogs mainly. Courier from scotland etc. Ask for deposits/full amounts and then disappear.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

chrism

posted on 26/7/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
If it was a google service it would be something.google.com.

Also the domain isnt registered to google inc. like its other websites are , its registered to CRAZY DOMAINS FZ-LLC.

So yes its scam, I would ever buy for sell a car where there is a 3rd party escrow type payment holding deal involved.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

r1_pete

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
SCAM, I'm sure google would be interested in that site.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it be funny if you said you would go and look at it in Inverness pay and collect
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the confirmation.

And as Jacko has suggested - I will now start to have a bit of fun with 'Mike' the 'seller'

Let's see how long I can spin him out.

Shame - car looked great !

HowardB

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
or you could suggest that your brother who lives in Evanton might pop over to have a look,.....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Wadders

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/checkout-merchant/JNvpJOBUhME%5B1-25-false%5D

Do have fun baiting the waste of oxygen, and keep us all informed

Hope you find a legit car soon.

Al.

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know much about "www.google-purchase.com " but the foreign language options don't work. Given Google are pretty good at websites my guess is that it is not a real google site.
jacko

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
looks like Mike lives at a school [ iv2 4yl ] google maps
jps

posted on 26/7/13 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
do keep us updated on the conversation with Mike. and do report to the Police/Trading Standards...
jossey

posted on 26/7/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23073

Scam

Sorry.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

chris-g

posted on 26/7/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen the "oil rig" excuse mentioned in other threads about car ad scams.
omega 24 v6

posted on 26/7/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Same guy was advertising a defender months ago. As I am "Localish" to Inverness I ask to come and see it. Was told it was with his ex wife in Newcastle area IRC . But it would be no prob as things were " Amicable"

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

edsco

posted on 26/7/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
SCAM! He lists too many details and is over friendly. I saw one of these a while back for a camper van, listed in Inverness as it turns out. Advertised through the caravan club. I reported the ad as phoney to the club and boy were they pleased to find out. They were plagued with dodgey ads, a lot of ppl ended up out of pocket that ultimately complained enmass to the club, hence how they found out.

SCAM!!!!!!!!

edsco

Wheels244

posted on 26/7/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've reported him to Gumtree.

I've also emailed him separately asking to come and view next time he is 'onshore' - wonder if he'll reply

[Edited on 26/7/13 by Wheels244]

Wheels244

posted on 27/7/13 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
No reply from Mike yet - he must be busy drilling for oil.

I might just register his email address on some 'alternative' online dating sites - see if he wants to sell his car on there.

Here's the response from Gumtree

"Hello,

Thank you for your email reporting this to us.

We take reports of this nature, and the safety of our users, very seriously. I have removed this ad and used the information to try and prevent this person from using Gumtree again in the future.

If you have any other information that you feel would be useful, to stop this individual or others acting in a similar way, please let me know.

Finally, if you haven’t seen it already you might want to take a look at the safety advice on our Stay Safe pages: http://www.gumtree.com/help/stay_safe which also includes more information on what we are doing to ensure a safe and successful experience on Gumtree.

I am sorry that you had to come across this, it isn't a common Gumtree experience, but I thank you very much for taking the time to report it to us so that we can take action to protect others.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Alexandra
Gumtree.com

Your comment:

Hello

Having researched this proposed payment method this is quite clearly a scam - could you please take the necessary action.

Thank you.

Mr R Horton "

Wheels244

posted on 27/7/13 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Got a reply !! The English is starting to waver !!
Going to respond saying I can meet him as soon as he comes ashore.

"Rob

I will have only one week off from my job at the end of August and I would like to go somewhere on holiday, therefore I want the car sold by that time. As I told you, I've just been through a divorce with my wife.

Let me know if we can go ahead with the deal as agreed, as there are quite many persons enquiring about the car.

--
Regards,
Mike Wayne

mikewayne448@gmail.com"

Nurburg2006

posted on 27/7/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking at a ml 270 Cdi the car is located in Norfolk and the chap has moved to Spain has sent the exact email that it's done via eBay 3 days to look over the vehicle, I sent him a few emails and the last one states he wants a bank transfer rather than through eBay, Run a mile.
Wheels244

posted on 27/7/13 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Next instalment

The English is slipping further and his email address has changed.

"From: mike.wayne@rowan-companies.com
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:16 PM
To: Rob
Subject: Re: Land Rover Freelander 2.2 Td4 GS

Rob, sorry to announce you, I have another deal running for the car, most likely it will be sold on Monday. I will keep you updated.

--
Regards,
Mike Wayne

mike.wayne@rowan-companies.com

That’s a shame Mike, I really want to buy your car – it’s just what I’m looking for.

Is there no way we can sort a deal out ?

Your email address seems to have changed - which is the best to contact you on ?

Regards

Rob"

Wadders

posted on 27/7/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Email him back asking what shift he's on and what time he gets a lunch break, tell him your best mate captain Wales is in the RAF

and will arrange a helicopter to pick him up and fly him back to Aberdeen to complete the deal, then drop him back off at Rowan

Gorilla platform with a nice bag of cash, only it will be Nigerian dollars as you have just come back from a most diligent business

trip in Africa.

Sign with your name followed by

Piss Extracting Engineer.

Job Done

Wheels244

posted on 27/7/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Email him back asking what shift he's on and what time he gets a lunch break, tell him your best mate captain Wales is in the RAF

and will arrange a helicopter to pick him up and fly him back to Aberdeen to complete the deal, then drop him back off at Rowan

Gorilla platform with a nice bag of cash, only it will be Nigerian dollars as you have just come back from a most diligent business

trip in Africa.

Sign with your name followed by

Piss Extracting Engineer.

Job Done

Wheels244

posted on 27/7/13 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Persistent bugger this one - lets see if he goes for my offer of sending a cheque for the full amount

"
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:01 PM
To: Rob
Subject: Re: Land Rover Freelander 2.2 Td4 GS for £3,680

Hi Rob

Due to my job situation, the only way I can sell the car is through Google Services. Are you still interested?

--
Regards,
Mike Wayne

mike.wayne@rowan-companies.com

Hi Mike

Yes, I’m very interested still.

I really want the car.

Would I be able to send you a cheque for the full amount and you arrange delivery to my home address please ?

Regards

Rob "

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.